PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Captivate - Galaxy S

Shibblet
November 26th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Great phone. One of the best Droid phones available.

Got it on Tuesday, and immediately love this way more than my iPhone. Took a bunch of photos at Thanksgiving, and hooked the phone right up to Ubuntu, and it mounted like a charm. No fuss, no muss.

I do only have one issue. When I am at home, I have no trouble connecting to my Wireless router with this phone, however, at work, I can connect to my network, but I can't get internet access to the phone. Now, this is something the iPhone had no trouble with, but apparently this is a Droid OS issue.

After searching the net for quite some time, I came up the subnet mask being altered? Some people have fixed this by rooting the phone. I don't quite understand what they are claiming, but it is supposed to be fixed in Froyo 2.2

Anyway, Droid fans, this is the phone for you.

amitabhishek
November 26th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Good hardware plagued by faulty software. Samsung guys are pussyfooting on lag fixes and official 2.2 upgrade.

My boss has SGS and there is absolutely no problem in connecting to wifi in office. However this access point is without proxy and works like a charm.

ukripper
November 26th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Good phone but i prefer HTC Desire HD. Will be getting in about 5 months time, can't wait!!!

RiceMonster
November 26th, 2010, 07:52 PM
My friend has this phone. It's very nice. Probably on par with he iPhone in my mind. If I were to get an android phone, it would certainly be my choice

Zzl1xndd
November 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM
A few friends of mine have this phone and they seem really happy with it. I have an Acer Liquid E, not quite as nice but great value for the price.

bigsmitty64
November 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Just got mine today, for FREE, upgrade from the iPhone. I had the iPhone for 2 years, i liked it but it was time to move on from Jobs and company.
So far I like it alot, only had it for about three hours though. I haven't tried to connect to Ubuntu yet, anyone know of any issues?

TheOrangePeanut
November 27th, 2010, 01:30 AM
It's a good phone, but if you use any apps that require GPS then you can forget it about. The GPS doesn't work, period, and it doesn't look like Samsung is making any move to fix the problem.

I love the phone but hate the fact that I can't use any cool GPS required apps.

Ocxic
November 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Try asking this question on androidcentral.com a great resource for andriod phones.

LMP900
November 27th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Another vote for Android Central - very helpful place. As for the phone, it's a great web browsing device and TouchWiz isn't as bad as many say. However, it is very laggy and songs often skip (haven't had this issue since the days of the portable CD player).

bigsmitty64
December 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
It's a good phone, but if you use any apps that require GPS then you can forget it about. The GPS doesn't work, period, and it doesn't look like Samsung is making any move to fix the problem.

I love the phone but hate the fact that I can't use any cool GPS required apps.

I must be one of the lucky ones, no issues with gps at all! Everything about this phone so far (for me) blows my old iPhone out of the water!
I love the fact that you can change everything, reminds me of the first time I ever booted up an Ubuntu disk :) Ya, I'm that happy.

tekkidd
December 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I had that phone for about two weeks before it got crushed when i went go-karting (how it happened exactly is beyond me) since then ive gotten an iPhone 4. When comparing it to the iPhone i liked the android more except for the fact that it had kinda flimsy construction compared to the iPhone, the iPhone is made of aluminum while the Captivate is made of plastic. But other than that, I LOVED my captivate while i had it.