PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 10.10 installation problem

malaysian
November 26th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Hi,I,m new in ubuntu.During my installation with ubuntu 10.10 with live cd ,my computer hangs when the colour splash screen is displayed.Tried several times but still cannot get it to install.

The computer i'm using:
Pentium 4 with 1 GHz
128mb RAM
NVidia GEforce FX5500

SteveDee
November 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM
The computer i'm using:
Pentium 4 with 1 GHz
128mb RAM....

I don't think you have enough RAM for Ubuntu (you need at least 512MB).

You should try Lubuntu which will run (slowly) on 128MB, or Puppy Linux.

Hippytaff
November 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
An alternative would be to boot into recovery mode (in the boot screen where you have kernel/os options).

Then drop into terminal with networking and do

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop && sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

reboot.
If the pc still struggles, open a terminal and try

sudo apt-get fluxbox

reboot and on start up choose fluxbox on the desktop option before logging in... if you decide to give this a bash, let me know how it goes :-)

malaysian
November 27th, 2010, 04:06 AM
But i don't know how to boot into recovery mode.(Sorry,i'm still new to this.)

Hippytaff
November 27th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry, when you boot your pc if your dual booting with windows you get the option to choose os's and kernels. choose the (usually) second kernel on the list...then you will see another box with options you can select using the up and down arrows...choose terminal with networking then type the command I posted.

:-)

Rubi1200
November 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Hi,
128 MB of RAM is definitely not enough; especially during the installation process as the installer requires at least 512 MB at that point.

Hippytaff has offered some good alternatives.

Additionally, you may want to consider some lighter alternatives such as Lubuntu, Puppy Linux, SliTaz, or antiX.

Hippytaff
November 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I should also have mentioned to reboot from the terminal (command line) do

shutdown -r now

malaysian
November 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Are there boot screen that have kernel/os options?I'm now only booting from the live cd and what i can get is this menu only(correct me if i am wrong).Until now there is only windows xp installed in my computer only.

Hippytaff
November 27th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Not sure, it might be in modes or other options, if you haven't installed ubuntu yet you can download a Lubuntu CD to make life easier :-)

malaysian
November 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I'll try the puppy linux in this computer.Will try ubuntu in my laptop.Thanks everyone for helping me to understand linux.