PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 borked Compiz

WildeBeest
November 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
The upgrade went fairly smooth, with a little effort got everything working except for Compiz.

I couldn't enable desktop effects. So I decided to completely remove compiz with Synaptic and re-install.

After removing compiz, compiz was no where to be found in Synaptic.

Where did it go? How can I get compiz back?

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT video card using the 256.53 driver.

Helkaluin
November 26th, 2010, 04:30 AM
No compiz in Synaptic?

Back to basics: check if you have the appropriate repositories enabled. (It's in universe or multiverse or something. Can't remember. Just try them all.) And do an apt-get update or equivalent.

Enigmapond
November 26th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Go one better and add the compiz ppa to your sources and get better updates.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:compiz/ppa

Then

sudo apt-get update

From there just go to synaptic and install everything compiz..

Cheers!

finlost
November 29th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I am also running a nVidia 8600GT video card. I recently upgraded to 10.04 from 9.10.

I am having problems updating the video driver to the recommended one. I am away from that computer right now so I don't know driver versions. I cannot get any desktop effects to work and definitely cannot get Compiz to work. I think I have a hardware problem as my computer suddenly powers down when I try to update the video driver or enable desktop effects. It suddenly powers down about 3-5 minutes after updating/enabling the video.

I have yet to research my video card problem. Anyone know if there are known issues with nVidia 8600GT with respect to 10.04?