PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to change language back to english

gadelat
November 25th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Hi, i have Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick AMD64. I tried to change change my default english language to slovak. It switched, but now i can't see a way how can i switch it back to english. Everywhere is mentioned changing it in login screen or in "Language support" in menu. Nothing works.

Frogs Hair
November 26th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Hi and Welcome,

In language support > select install/remove language ,scroll and remove the check in the Slovak box and place a check in the English box and select apply changes. you may need to select the apply system wide setting.This is the only way I know of to change languages.

gadelat
November 26th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Well, this works but i need slovak support. I need english only for system language and preserve slovak support. So after i uninstalled slovak support, logging out&back, i installed it again. Now i have at login screen additional language option "Unknown", selecting which it logs in English, so problem is solved, but i don't think this is normal behavior and you should consider it as a bug. Other languages in menu "Angličtina" is slovak translation of "English" and "Slovenčina" is "Slovakian". Both of these options run desktop environment in slovak language. And most strange for me is that gdm screen is in slovak language.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1323/screenshotdxj.th.png (http://img256.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdxj.png/)

HitmanNumber86
December 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I have the same problem, but with Portuguese. The problem I'm having now is getting that the kernel communicates in Portuguese but takes responses in English.

Você quer continuar [S/n]? y

haidoura
December 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Same problem and changing the language did not distribute it everywhere.. now i have 2 languages.. english and few arabic in other places.

Sergreus
May 14th, 2011, 10:43 PM
have had similar problem

after installing language support drag&drop desired language to the top, push apply then reboot.

hope it helps you :)

rikskelton138
October 10th, 2011, 01:20 AM
i am having this same problem. All the system stuff is in English and any app I start is in Arabic. I don't understand where the last person ment to drag it. I have selected apply system wide with no results. It's set to english on the log in screen too. Ubuntu 10.10

Krytarik
October 10th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I don't understand where the last person ment to drag it.
Please see this guide:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17528/change-the-user-interface-language-in-ubuntu/

Regards.

renatogui
October 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I installed Portuguese language only to get localization in number format, currency and date. The first language in my preferences remained English.
Strangely, some system dialogs and menus became translated in a mix of Brazilian and Portugal Portuguese.

I abandoned the idea of having localized currency and uninstalled Portuguese to have good plain English. It was not the right think to do. Now I have some English melted with Portuguese.

For instance: in System Settings, I have the words Personal, Equipment, System and Language Support translated into Portuguese. All terminal dialogs when using apt-get are in Portugal Portuguese.

I would like to have English back. Hellllp!!