PDA

View Full Version : Chinese MacBook Clone Comes Pre-Hackintoshed With Snow Leopard

Sporkman
November 25th, 2010, 11:33 PM
"$436 will buy you one on the Beijing electronics blackmarket..."

http://www.cultofmac.com/chinese-macbook-clone-comes-pre-hackintoshed-with-snow-leopard/71190

Dixon Bainbridge
November 26th, 2010, 12:08 AM
God bless Chinese knock-offs.

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 02:59 AM
So I guess that means the Apple tax is roughly $1000.

Oh snap! Two mouse buttons? Okay, now I'm actually interested. Wonder what the rest of the hardware is and if it would be compatible with Linux?

Simian Man
November 26th, 2010, 03:03 AM

Yeah because Apple doesn't pay for software development or R&D or anything like that. Or pay workers enough money to live on.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Yeah because Apple doesn't pay for software development or R&D or anything like that. Or pay workers enough money to live on.

It's still a tax/price/whatever. Apple is a systems manufacturer, not an OS retailer, and not a Windows developer.

Strip the Apple software, and what remains is hardware expensive relative to its specs.

To devoted Apple users, the premium price which funds integrated OS and application development is a feature, not a drawback.

murack
November 26th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Oh snap! Two mouse buttons? Okay, now I'm actually interested. Wonder what the rest of the hardware is and if it would be compatible with Linux?

I don't think you would be able to duel doot SL and Linux because hackintosh has a modified bootloader.

sudoer541
November 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Looks interesting, but I am willing to pay ~$45 for it!!! ;)

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM

Get it home and it will last a month then the "Dragonfly tax" is 100%.

This Apple tax and Microsoft tax rubbish is very old and very tiresome and very wrong.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Get it home and it will last a month then the "Dragonfly tax" is 100%.

This Apple tax and Microsoft tax rubbish is very old and very tiresome and very wrong.

Windows is an OEM input cost. For users who never boot the preinstalled image, that is money which could have gone to better hardware or lower prices instead of never-used software.

The easy way to de-tax it is change the law, declare it a pricing practice which restrains trade (just as was done with IE), and let never-booted systems claim a refund. That makes it a clear bundle, not a tax.

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Windows is an OEM input cost. For users who never boot the preinstalled image, that is money which could have gone to better hardware or lower prices instead of never-used software.

The easy way to de-tax it is change the law, declare it a pricing practice which restrains trade (just as was done with IE), and let never-booted systems claim a refund. That makes it a clear bundle, not a tax.

Then don't by an Apple PC and self build. It's not compulsory to buy an Apple, it annoys me people buy an Apple then bleat about the Apple tax , did some one Hog tie them drag them into a shop and force them to buy the Apple? ... no they purchased it knowing the terms and conditions. Same with HP, Dell , Toshiba etc etc etc.

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 04:08 AM

You're right. Paraphrased: "The cost of purchasing an apple branded hardware is roughly a $1000 extra."

I'll leave it at that. I'm sure if I were to state my thoughts openly about Apple it would potentially incite a flame war that I'm not willing to start. In the end, use what works best for you.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Then don't by an Apple PC and self build. It's not compulsory to buy an Apple, it annoys me people buy an Apple then bleat about the Apple tax , did some one Hog tie them drag them into a shop and force them to buy the Apple? ... no they purchased it knowing the terms and conditions. Same with HP, Dell , Toshiba etc etc etc.
The last time I bought an OEM desktop was 1998.

The problem is with laptops, as they can't be built from a Newegg cart.

What Microsoft has done is create a coercive pricing structure which punishes OEMs for failure to meet Windows installation quotas, which in turn raises their costs, and makes them less competitive.

What this has done is restrain the operation of the free market by encouraging an artificial Microsoft monoline, in an even worse manner than their formerly-tight IE integration.

Microsoft Windows can compete in the free marketplace. Right now, for John Q. Public, Windows is the best choice of operating systems for general home use. While I hope to see that change with future Ubuntu development, that isn't the case as things exist now.

Let Windows compete freely and fairly by ending the abusive pricing. Not shipping Windows on an OEM laptop, for a single order, is an extremely simple proposition. It saves the OEM the trouble of imaging the system, paying for Windows, and booking a tech support liability.

If a $500 Ubuntu laptop sits side by side with a hardware-identical $550 laptop with Win7+support, most users are still going to choose the latter. The goal is to enable that choice to exist, and not strongarm everyone into getting a Windows license they might not want (for use of Linux) or might not need (for ownership of independently-licensed Windows).

juancarlospaco
November 26th, 2010, 04:32 AM
But... Ubuntu has Support and Licence too.
And... You cant buy Windows, you buy a limited permission to use one copy.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Ubuntu's support is from Canonical and the community. If an OEM ships a system without an OS they're liable for taking tech support calls for, that's less of a cost they must impute to that system for the phone agents handling system support.

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
The last time I bought an OEM desktop was 1998.

The problem is with laptops, as they can't be built from a Newegg cart.

What Microsoft has done is create a coercive pricing structure which punishes OEMs for failure to meet Windows installation quotas, which in turn raises their costs, and makes them less competitive.

What this has done is restrain the operation of the free market by encouraging an artificial Microsoft monoline, in an even worse manner than their formerly-tight IE integration.

Microsoft Windows can compete in the free marketplace. Right now, for John Q. Public, Windows is the best choice of operating systems for general home use. While I hope to see that change with future Ubuntu development, that isn't the case as things exist now.

Let Windows compete freely and fairly by ending the abusive pricing. Not shipping Windows on an OEM laptop, for a single order, is an extremely simple proposition. It saves the OEM the trouble of imaging the system, paying for Windows, and booking a tech support liability.

If a $500 Ubuntu laptop sits side by side with a hardware-identical $550 laptop with Win7+support, most users are still going to choose the latter. The goal is to enable that choice to exist, and not strongarm everyone into getting a Windows license they might not want (for use of Linux) or might not need (for ownership of independently-licensed Windows).

Your post is wrong on so many points. There is no quotas. OEM's are free to install other OS's they do not because there is no consumer demand.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Your post is wrong on so many points. There is no quotas. OEM's are free to install other OS's they do not because there is no consumer demand.

For starters:

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm

One of the ways Microsoft combats piracy is by advising OEMs that they will be charged a higher price for Windows unless they drastically limit the number of PCs that they sell without an operating system pre-installed. In 1998, all major OEMs agreed to this restriction.

An aspect of Microsoft's pricing behavior that, while not tending to prove monopoly power, is consistent with it is the fact that the firm charges different OEMs different prices for Windows, depending on the degree to which the individual OEMs comply with Microsoft's wishes. Among the five largest OEMs, Gateway and IBM, which in various ways have resisted Microsoft's efforts to enlist them in its efforts to preserve the applications barrier to entry, pay higher prices than Compaq, Dell, and Hewlett-Packard, which have pursued less contentious relationships with Microsoft.

When Dell started shipping Ubuntu, the tax became obvious:

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/05/windows-tax-is-50-according-to-dell-linux-pc-pricing.ars

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Look at the date "November 5, 1999 " now look at your calendar , here in New Zealand it's 26 November 2010 . Things have changed , move on ,drop the FUD.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Look at the date "November 5, 1999 " now look at your calendar , here in New Zealand it's 26 November 2010 . Things have changed , move on ,drop the FUD.

Care to explain why it's stopped, or why Dell could sell a Windows-free system for $50 less?

This isn't FUD. If you buy a laptop, and it includes Windows, money flows to Redmond on your behalf. That's a input cost which could be dropped for better pricing or shifted to better hardware. Thus, there is a Windows tax. QED.

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 05:07 AM
The Dell Ubuntu machines carried a higher cost due to higher support costs etc and lower production volume .

Of course money goes to MS if you purchase a PC with Windows they are a business not a a charity. Does Toyota sell their cars and gift their Engines?

Tax's are a compulsory levy by government for which you have no option but to pay. You have an option with regards to computer gear. There is no one hog tying customers and forcing them into shops against their will.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 05:12 AM
The Dell Ubuntu machines carried a higher cost due to higher support costs etc and lower production volume .

Ars seems to think otherwise.

Of course money goes to MS if you purchase a PC with Windows they are a business not a a charity. Does Toyota sell their cars and gift their Engines?

Toyota makes the cars and the engines, so that's not a parallel analogy.

Microsoft is a third party in the customer-OEM transaction. The DOJ found that it was strong-arming OEMs into shipping Windows.

Toyota vehicles compete on their own merits. Windows does not always compete on its own merits; when it's shoved down somebody's throat, the sale happened because the only OEMs with favorable economies of scale were beholden to their volume licensing agreements crafted by Microsoft for that exact purpose.

Tax's are a compulsory levy by government for which you have no option but to pay. You have an option with regards to computer gear. There is no one hog tying customers and forcing them into shops against their will.
"Windows tax" is the colloquial term applied to this long-running problem. Technically, you're right, it's not a tax - it's a trade-restraining abusive monopoly bundling scheme.

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 05:22 AM
You are simply regurgitating historical events and FSF propaganda and its one of open the source "Mill stones".

MasterNetra
November 26th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Thats all nice, but this thread has drifted off topic, with the help of a admin no less. but yea I have my doubts about this black market machine lasting over the long haul. But then again I could be wrong and turn out to be reliable.

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Thats all nice, but this thread has drifted off topic, with the help of a admin no less.

Yeah, I'm just watching this thread waiting for the lock to drop.

:popcorn:

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 05:30 AM
You are simply regurgitating historical events and FSF propaganda and its one of open the source "Mill stones".

As opposed to all of the FUD and propaganda coming out of Microsoft?

I can remember when "Desktop Linux" was being sneered at as a euphemism for a pirate XP corp VLK. Microsoft promoted that by insinuating that PCs without Windows had to be driven away in the name of anti-piracy.

If people want to use Windows, great. Windows is the best choice for most users, and necessary for many OS-specific tasks.

What's not okay is the abusive bundling. Let Windows compete on its own merits, or at least make for an easy refund. Right now, it doesn't. 7 could have been worse than ME and it'd still have 99% of the non-Apple OEM market share in shipments.

MasterNetra
November 26th, 2010, 05:39 AM
As opposed to all of the FUD and propaganda coming out of Microsoft?

I can remember when "Desktop Linux" was being sneered at as a euphemism for a pirate XP corp VLK. Microsoft promoted that by insinuating that PCs without Windows had to be driven away in the name of anti-piracy.

If people want to use Windows, great. Windows is the best choice for most users, and necessary for many OS-specific tasks.

What's not okay is the abusive bundling. Let Windows compete on its own merits, or at least make for an easy refund. Right now, it doesn't. 7 could have been worse than ME and it'd still have 99% of the non-Apple OEM market share in shipments.

Come on now folks thats enough. Start your own thread, stop hijacking someone else's thread until it gets locked.

Dr. C
November 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Thats all nice, but this thread has drifted off topic, with the help of a admin no less. but yea I have my doubts about this black market machine lasting over the long haul. But then again I could be wrong and turn out to be reliable.

It is a piece of junk with an Apple logo who's only purpose is to sell it to unsuspecting customers. Classic counterfeit goods no more no less. What this has to do with the "Microsoft Tax", a perfectly valid topic on its own right, is beyond me.

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM

You are right and I apologize.

MisterGaribaldi
November 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
It is a piece of junk with an Apple logo who's only purpose is to sell it to unsuspecting customers. Classic counterfeit goods no more no less. What this has to do with the "Microsoft Tax", a perfectly valid topic on its own right, is beyond me.

What Dr. C said. I hope Apple finds a way to deal with this situation. In any event, anyone stupid enough to buy one deserves to have the problems that will go with it.

DoubleClicker
November 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
You're right. Paraphrased: "The cost of purchasing an apple branded hardware is roughly a $1000 extra."

I'll leave it at that. I'm sure if I were to state my thoughts openly about Apple it would potentially incite a flame war that I'm not willing to start. In the end, use what works best for you.

The cost of apple hardware is more because the hardware is more. Many times I've tried to find hardware of equal specifications and quality, for a lower price, and so far I've never been able to do it. Anyone who claims they can, is only comparing on a subset of specifications.

The Chinese macbook clones are a perfect example, they are made to look like a macbook, but the battery life is much less, the screen is not nearly as sharp, and has lower resolution, and in general is shoddy craftsmanship.

can you get a computer that is good enough for much less? Absolutly. But you can get a toyota for thousands less then a lexus. The toyota get you where you are going just as well as the Lexus, but it won't give you the same ride getting there.

linel
November 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM
The cost of apple hardware is more because the hardware is more. Many times I've tried to find hardware of equal specifications and quality, for a lower price, and so far I've never been able to do it. Anyone who claims they can, is only comparing on a subset of specifications.

The Chinese macbook clones are a perfect example, they are made to look like a macbook, but the battery life is much less, the screen is not nearly as sharp, and has lower resolution, and in general is shoddy craftsmanship.

can you get a computer that is good enough for much less? Absolutly. But you can get a toyota for thousands less then a lexus. The toyota get you where you are going just as well as the Lexus, but it won't give you the same ride getting there.

Post me an apple product with its specifications and i will find you 3 or 4 times better with the same price. Imacs are like a laptop glued on a screen and they will never be able to match a real desktop in performance and lets not start talking about the mac pro...

Paqman
November 26th, 2010, 12:35 PM
The cost of apple hardware is more because the hardware is more.

Not really. A lot of what you'll find inside a Mac these days is identical to any other PC. Apple have been guilty of using some pretty ropey components, too. The first generation of SSDs they used were the really nasty slow Samsung ones, the exact same as you would have got in a cheapo Dell machine at the time.

We should drop the whole "Mac vs PC" division IMO. Macs are just PCs with EFI instead of BIOS. All PCs will be using EFI in a few years anyway.

m4tic
November 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I went to an apple store yesterday, tried all the macs for the first time and all i can say is though i see the similarities between osx and Ubuntu i'd say Ubuntu did a better job. Can someone tell me why is it that when i click the x icon the program doesn't shut down in osx that i'd have to go to the macbar and click quit? thats two clicks plus navigation.

kaldor
November 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I went to an apple store yesterday, tried all the macs for the first time and all i can say is though i see the similarities between osx and Ubuntu i'd say Ubuntu did a better job. Can someone tell me why is it that when i click the x icon the program doesn't shut down in osx that i'd have to go to the macbar and click quit? thats two clicks plus navigation.

Might have something to do with the fact that Mac OS X is not Ubuntu? I dunno, just a thought :)

When the x is clicked in OS X, it closes the application and basically stores it for future use. Learn about OS X's Command key; Macs are very keystroke-based.

How does Ubuntu do a better job? I'm on a Mac right now as I type this and I use OS X, Fedora/CentOS and Debian on a daily basis. I also have 11.04 daily in a virtual machine, so I am not biased for Mac.

Edit: As for the "Macbar" navigation issue, it's such a minor problem. And as I said before.... Command + Q. Easy.

Simian Man
November 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM

You're still wrong though. As I said before, Apple has to pay for the price of developing all the software, and the research and development that went into the design. They also have to pay for all the marketing they employ. Those are costs that Dragonfly does not have to pay, but they get the benefit of that money being spent. Apple amortizes those costs across every unit sold which raises the prices. Also, as others pointed out, the hardware looks similar, but isn't necessarily the same.

If I sell pirated versions of, say EA Sports titles for $5, then could you say that the "EA Tax" was $45? Of course not because I'm just paying for a very small percentage of the cost of that EA is per unit.

Some people know nothing about economics.

m4tic
November 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Might have something to do with the fact that Mac OS X is not Ubuntu? I dunno, just a thought :)

When the x is clicked in OS X, it closes the application and basically stores it for future use. Learn about OS X's Command key; Macs are very keystroke-based.

How does Ubuntu do a better job? I'm on a Mac right now as I type this and I use OS X, Fedora/CentOS and Debian on a daily basis. I also have 11.04 daily in a virtual machine, so I am not biased for Mac.

Edit: As for the "Macbar" navigation issue, it's such a minor problem. And as I said before.... Command + Q. Easy.

Then i'd say its pretty much true to say mac's ease of use claim is exaggerated as you said yourself that it's keyboard depended for getting most out of it. I place it third behind windows and Ubuntu/mint

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 04:49 PM
You're still wrong though. As I said before, Apple has to pay for the price of developing all the software, and the research and development that went into the design. They also have to pay for all the marketing they employ. Those are costs that Dragonfly does not have to pay, but they get the benefit of that money being spent. Apple amortizes those costs across every unit sold which raises the prices. Also, as others pointed out, the hardware looks similar, but isn't necessarily the same.

The hardware is nothing better than an atom processor based laptop, I'm aware of that. However, hardware is still hardware. It's nothing more than an over priced netbook with apple logoing (and two beautiful mouse buttons). I'd rather pay for something like that than the officially branded apple stuff. However, I don't like apple at all and will refuse to purchase either... the only difference is, the knock-off is better in my opinion simply because of the two mouse buttons. Let me restate something there, my opinon... not yours. Anywho, I'm not going into this any further, I've stated my thoughts and have made my opinions very public... if you want to take this further, drop me a pm.

m4tic
November 26th, 2010, 04:54 PM
The hardware is nothing better than an atom processor based laptop, I'm aware of that. However, hardware is still hardware. It's nothing more than an over priced netbook with apple logoing (and two beautiful mouse buttons). I'd rather pay for something like that than the officially branded apple stuff. However, I don't like apple at all and will refuse to purchase either... the only difference is, the knock-off is better in my opinion simply because of the two mouse buttons. Let me restate something there, my opinon... not yours. Anywho, I'm not going into this any further, I've stated my thoughts and have made my opinions very public... if you want to take this further, drop me a pm.

I think its one button and a touch pad

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Then i'd say its pretty much true to say mac's ease of use claim is exaggerated as you said yourself that it's keyboard depended for getting most out of it. I place it third behind windows and Ubuntu/mint

I'd place mac before windows though... if I've never used a computer system before and had no clue on the logic behind how things work, mac would be an easy 2nd.

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I think its one button and a touch pad

It's definitely two buttons... read the other review and pictures.

Simian Man
November 26th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Anywho, I'm not going into this any further, I've stated my thoughts and have made my opinions very public... if you want to take this further, drop me a pm.

You still didn't address my points about the cost at all, but I guess it's OK for admins to post FUD and not back it up.

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 05:26 PM
You still didn't address my points about the cost at all, but I guess it's OK for admins to post FUD and not back it up.

I'm not an admin. Why do I need to back up an opinion?

KiwiNZ
November 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM
The Chinese toy does have two physical buttons. Apple has had two and three button for a long time now so that is "red hearing"

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM

If I sell pirated versions of, say EA Sports titles for $5, then could you say that the "EA Tax" was $45? Of course not because I'm just paying for a very small percentage of the cost of that EA is per unit.

Some people know nothing about economics.

That's not a "tax" in the sense of the issue of the Windows tax.

You're comparing piracy (be it of EA, the counterfeit MacBook with pirate OSX) to a bundling arrangement.

Piracy is a form of freeloading off the IP of others. This MacBook clone is using software it was supposed to pay for but didn't. Those who complain about the Windows tax are complaining about a situation in reverse; namely, paying for proprietary software they don't use.

Simian Man
November 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm not an admin. Why do I need to back up an opinion?
Sorry, I thought green names were admins. As to your other question, that's generally how discussions work. You can't just say any fool thing on a forum and expect people to respect it without base.

That's not a "tax" in the sense of the issue of the Windows tax.
I know, but that's not how the person I was quoting used it. See post #3.

forrestcupp
November 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Piracy is a form of freeloading off the IP of others. This MacBook clone is using software it was supposed to pay for but didn't.
How do you know that they don't use legitimate, paid for copies of Snow Leopard? Other sellers of Hackintoshes have done that. Apple's high prices are not from their OS; they are because of the unreasonably and unnecessarily high priced hardware. If you can put a legitimate OS on generic hardware, you'll save a lot of money.

Sure, it goes against the license agreement, but that doesn't mean it was a stolen copy of the OS.

kaldor
November 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
The Chinese toy does have two physical buttons. Apple has had two and three button for a long time now so that is "red hearing"

^

Sporkman
November 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
...so that is "red hearing"

(Red herring).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

aysiu
November 26th, 2010, 08:22 PM
When the x is clicked in OS X, it closes the application and basically stores it for future use. Learn about OS X's Command key; Macs are very keystroke-based. When the x is clicked in OS X, it closes the window. The application is still running.

ugm6hr
November 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Couple of things occur to me:

1.Calling this a clone is misleading. It's a netbook in a Macbook lookalike shell. Hence, the price is not comparable.

2. I find it amusing that they chose to put an apple logo on... Which presumably means that the issue is with Apple's trademark, but the OS license is adhered to, given it is installed and used on hardware that carries an Apple logo?

JC Cheloven
November 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I miss some awareness about this:

Very cheap products (chinesse or otherwise) should be a concern. They're usually that cheap because people making them are paid a miserly salary.

The bottom line at medium-term is that I (we all) will become not competitive unless I accept to work in the same conditions.

JC

Simian Man
November 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I miss some awareness about this:

Very cheap products (chinesse or otherwise) should be a concern. They're usually that cheap because people making them are paid a misery salary.

The bottom line at medium-term is that I (we all) will become not competitive unless I accept to work in the same conditions.

Unfortunately, Apple itself manufacturers its products in China and pays its employees (including children) a miserly salary. And I agree that this practice is terrible.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Very cheap products (chinesse or otherwise) should be a concern. They're usually that cheap because people making them are paid a misery salary.

That also applies to expensive products like Apple's hardware, which is made in the conditions you describe in Foxconn's contract assembly plants.

Sporkman
November 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM

...plus environmental & other compliance costs are low. Though it may not be do to low wages, it could also be due to high automation.

kvant
November 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
But... Ubuntu has Support and Licence too.
And... You cant buy Windows, you buy a limited permission to use one copy.

That's well said. You can't buy OS X, Windows or any non-free software, you can only get a very limited permission to use it as the product makers (and not you, the supposed product owner) see fit.

kvant
November 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM

It's strange that you, the forum administrator for something that is built on the shoulders of free software and is still (more or less) free software, are slapping The Free Software Foundation like this.

Gremlinzzz
November 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Yep' id buy it before Walmart does and doubles the price.

Spr0k3t
November 26th, 2010, 10:31 PM

As long as I can remember when apple first started producing their laptops, they have always had the single physical button for the touchpad. Gestures are completely different of that nature and keyboard combinations don't cut it.

Rasa1111
November 26th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I to would shell out money for this thing before i bought an actual apple product. lol

But honestly, I wouldnt really want this either.
Though I would take it over a 'real' apple. lol

czr114~
you're not alone mate..
Some people understand you. lol ;)

Well said posts in here by you.
Critical thinking skills... seems very rare today...
:rolleyes:

thanks

<3

JC Cheloven
November 26th, 2010, 11:22 PM

Hey: FSF > Gnu,Gnome > Debian > Ubuntu
Could you please reconsider your ungrateful (and possibly offensive) post? :(

Dixon Bainbridge
November 26th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I always enjoy the bun fights that start up when people talk about Apple and Windows.

cprofitt
November 27th, 2010, 12:30 AM
It looks nice. Not sure how it works.

I prefer to run Linux on Lenovo hardware myself.

Spr0k3t
November 27th, 2010, 01:00 AM
It looks nice. Not sure how it works.

I prefer to run Linux on Lenovo hardware myself.

+1 and then some.

DoubleClicker
November 27th, 2010, 02:52 AM

No, it does not close the application, it closes the window. There is a fundamental philosophical difference between Mac OS X, and most linux desktops.

In most of the linux (and MS) desktops, the first object of instance is the window, and the window is frame that an application runs in. That being the case, when the window is closed, there is no object of instance, and the application quits.,

Mac OS X is entirely different. in Mac OS X the menubar is the first object of instance, and the window is another object within an application. So when you close the window, the menubar maintains the instance, and the application has no reason to quit.

DoubleClicker
November 27th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Post me an apple product with its specifications and i will find you 3 or 4 times better with the same price. Imacs are like a laptop glued on a screen and they will never be able to match a real desktop in performance and lets not start talking about the mac pro...

Ok, I would love to see you match the specs of the 17 in mac book pro for $2198
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html

Make sure it includes all the features that, are usually ignored, such as:

Display that has equivalent resolution, brightness, contrast, sharpness, and viewing angle;

Shell that is as sturdy as the aluminum unibody shell of the macbook pro,

9 hour battery life;

Power cord that detaches if you trip over it;

Under 3Kg/6.6 lbs.

phrostbyte
November 27th, 2010, 05:00 AM
2. I find it amusing that they chose to put an apple logo on... Which presumably means that the issue is with Apple's trademark, but the OS license is adhered to, given it is installed and used on hardware that carries an Apple logo?

Because this is a flat out knockoff.. Chinese knockoffs are not known for their subtly.

Merk42
November 27th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Hey: FSF > Gnu,Gnome > Debian > Ubuntu
Could you please reconsider your ungrateful (and possibly offensive) post? :(
Just because a foundation may have done some things you like, doesn't mean you have to agree with it 100% on issues 100% of the time.

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM
They're usually that cheap because people making them are paid a misery salary.

I'd say a miserly salary in China is appreciated much more than no salary at all.