PDA

View Full Version : Becareful of cold callers...

Linux_junkie
November 25th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Hello, just a quick note to remind everyone of the dangers of cold callers. I came across this news piece highlighting such dangers especially in the UK.

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/top-stories/507100/fake-anti-virus-cold-callers-warning

Never give bank details or personal info to cold callers

Old Marcus
November 25th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Well... Duh.

markp1989
November 25th, 2010, 11:55 PM
i had 1 of them try it on with me the other day, called me up saying that their company had received an alert that my computer had a virus on it, then started asking me questions about my pc,

I asked them what program their company used that alerted them, and he hung up.

Joeb454
November 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I remember somebody calling our house once the conversation when like such:
(Caller = c | Me = M)

C: I'm calling about the issues you've been having with your PC recently.
M: We haven't been having issues, it's fine...
C: Really? Do you have any computing qualifications?
M: Yes thanks, do you?
*hangs up*

He was rather rude, so I imagine my tone of voice conveyed the anger I felt as well, which is possibly why they hung up so soon :p

bitscarre
November 26th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Hahaha, funny thing with the callers.

joepie91
November 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
We haven't had them about tech support here yet... but we got another very annoying kind of cold calling. Small companies (consisting of 1 or 2 employees) are called to "renew their subscription" to <insert random dodgy company lookup site>. As soon you say 'ok', you're screwed and you're tied to a VERY expensive subscription (some are known to charge 1250 euro a month).

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM
We haven't had them about tech support here yet... but we got another very annoying kind of cold calling. Small companies (consisting of 1 or 2 employees) are called to "renew their subscription" to <insert random dodgy company lookup site>. As soon you say 'ok', you're screwed and you're tied to a VERY expensive subscription (some are known to charge 1250 euro a month).

Don't say okay - tell them nothing can be done over the phone, and all documentation regarding the subscription must be sent postal mail to the company's address.

Most will go away and never call again, but a few are stupid enough to put their fraud and false pretenses in the mail. That makes it mail fraud, which is a serious charge the authorities do investigate.

If they send a fraudulent invoice marked "renewal", then they can be reported, shut down, and hopefully, prosecuted.

My old employer helped bring down a toner fraud ring because management had trained accounts payable what to look for and how to capture evidence.

Dr. C
November 26th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Don't say okay - tell them nothing can be done over the phone, and all documentation regarding the subscription must be sent postal mail to the company's address.

Most will go away and never call again, but a few are stupid enough to put their fraud and false pretenses in the mail. That makes it mail fraud, which is a serious charge the authorities do investigate.

If they send a fraudulent invoice marked "renewal", then they can be reported, shut down, and hopefully, prosecuted.

My old employer helped bring down a toner fraud ring because management had trained accounts payable what to look for and how to capture evidence.

While this is excellent advice even if the they get the reception to say "ok" and send the toner for 10x the price or the questionable overpriced subscription all is far from lost. The defensive strategy at this point can best be summarized in two words red tape Create as many bureaucratic and complicated hoops for the these criminals to jump through as possible order for them to try obtain payment. Request the original purchase order. If it is a phone call request a recording of the conversation and insist it must be in ogg format. Offer to return the toner at their expense provided they first fill out all sorts of releases and forms. All of this is designed to capture evidence to be used against them if they follow through. The other strategy is to ask them lots of questions but never provide them with any information. I used the latter with a trademark dispute scammer and never heard from him again.

And of course do not pay them anything.

wilee-nilee
November 26th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Any body I want to talk to comes up in the display they are in the phone directory, I only use cell. If I don't recognize I don't answer and if they leave no message I give it a funny name and save it for future calls a reference. if It is just a credit service trying to collect a very small debt like 20 years old I remind them that they cannot call on this number I am self employed and it is my work #, gets rid of them until a new scam credit company tries the same thing.

czr114
November 26th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Any body I want to talk to comes up in the display they are in the phone directory, I only use cell. If I don't recognize I don't answer and if they leave no message I give it a funny name and save it for future calls a reference. if It is just a credit service trying to collect a very small debt like 20 years old I remind them that they cannot call on this number I am self employed and it is my work #, gets rid of them until a new scam credit company tries the same thing.

If you're in the States (and probably elsewhere, too), in some places and situations, it's against the law for third-party debt collectors to call cell phones or any other line which the recipient might pay per-minute access fees, or to employ autodialers against mobile lines. If that's the case, report them to the civil authorities, and help be a part of ending this abusive practice which spikes peoples' bills.

Khakilang
November 26th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I do receive call saying that I am a lucky winner of a price of rm50,000.00 from some promotion and ask me about my bank account so that they can bank in the money for me. I can't recognize their accent that they are not local rather from other country like Indonesia or China. So I just say I am not interested and hang up.

Miguel
November 26th, 2010, 04:01 AM
I was called a while ago by these guys, I think. I'm not normally at home when scammers and advertisers call home, but that day I decided to work a few hours from home. Since I work on several Linux machines at both work and at home, I was amused when I was told that I had a virus. Not being in a good mood, I asked them if they even knew what OS my machine was running. "Yes, sir, you are running windows? (fail). I told them no, although I felt tempted to make them specify which windows. The guy's next option was Apple Mac (fail again). Of course, he lacked all words when I said no. So, after a while, and wondering whether I made my own OS, he said something like "oh! you must be running teh linux, then!". Feeling like an elitist snob, I said "No, sir, I'm running OpenBSD" and proceeded to hang up.

wilee-nilee
November 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM
If you're in the States (and probably elsewhere, too), in some places and situations, it's against the law for third-party debt collectors to call cell phones or any other line which the recipient might pay per-minute access fees, or to employ autodialers against mobile lines. If that's the case, report them to the civil authorities, and help be a part of ending this abusive practice which spikes peoples' bills.

I have on occasion yeah it's the US for me. Funny thing is when I need credit this isn't on there, there is a 7 year limit. It's always funny though because they have gotten a answer from me on occasion. They go through the little threatening script, blah, blah, blah, so being a student of psychology I can bamboozle them every which way I want then I say hey by the way this is my work number. Nothing like a little passive aggressive victory once in awhile.

Cold calling autodialing, global warming, racism, sexism, and all the bias attached stuff will never be curbed until we are basically all gone. It is the human condition in a nutshell, nothing new it has all been happening in one form or another since the our species actually thought it could reason objectively.

joepie91
November 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Luckily I never receive those mails myself, not being a registered company and all.

And really, mail fraud (fake bills etc) are even more common here... it's perfectly clear that it's illegal, but the problem is catching the criminals. Something the Dutch police doesn't appear to be particularly good at.