PDA

View Full Version : Going back in time with freeDOS

Linux_junkie
November 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I'm just downloading freeDOS at the moment and plan to install it on an old desktop computer. I'm quite excited about installing DOS as its bringing me back to the late 80's early 90's when I first started getting in to business computing.

I just hope that if I'm able to get online using freeDOS that there are no DOS viruses hanging around any more.

weasel fierce
November 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I'm just downloading freeDOS at the moment and plan to install it on an old desktop computer. I'm quite excited about installing DOS as its bringing me back to the late 80's early 90's when I first started getting in to business computing.

I just hope that if I'm able to get online using freeDOS that there are no DOS viruses hanging around any more.

I imagine it'd be quite safe nowadays :)

rCXer
November 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I was able to get online after using these instructions (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=Networking_FreeDOS_complete). Make sure you try the Arachne web browser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne_%28web_browser%29).

Spice Weasel
November 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I love FreeDOS. It allows me to waste a lot of time playing Commander Keen on my ancient laptop. :p

DOS is probably the least secure operating system in the world, so it's not really wise to go online with it. (Besides Windows 98, anyone remember how if you clicked print on the help dialogue on the log in screen it gave you admin access without a password?)

Quadunit404
November 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I'm actually setting up FreeDOS in VMWare Player right now. I might as well say that MS-DOS was the first OS I ever used, although I didn't actually know how to use it beyond some basic commands :lol: (I had to wait until Windows 95 before I could actually use a PC)

This'll provide some nostalgia for me, going back to where it all began for me... virtually.

Linux_junkie
November 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well I downloaded the .iso file of the full freeDOS OS from its website and had burnt it to a CD however, as the desktop computer I was wanting to install it on to has a fault with the DVD drive I am unable to install freeDOS from the CD.

I have also burnt the .iso file to a USB memory stick but once again the setup of freeDOS does not recognise USB memory sticks. I need to amernd the command in one of the .bat files to get it to recognise the memory stick but unsure of the command at the moment.

Watch this space for another interesting installment of "How not to install DOS".