PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Wireless working on livecd but not on install

lolara
November 25th, 2010, 12:56 PM
When I run Kubuntu on livecd everything works perfectly, I just click on systray icon, select my network, enter wpa pass and it's all setup! But after I installed Kubuntu on HDD it doesn't work like that anymore.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cftyzk.png

Version 10.10. Maverick Meerkat

grahammechanical
November 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM
What is missing or not working like that anymore? Do you have a network manager icon? Can you see a list of available wireless networks? Is networking and wireless enabled? You are using a laptop. Is there a hardware switch that you need to set to activate wireless in the laptop?

The fact that things work when using the live CD proves that there is not a problem with Ubuntu recognizing the wireless device or with connecting to the router/modem.

Your post sounds like a complaint instead of a request for help. We need to know what you are seeing or not seeing as you try to connect.

Regards.

lolara
November 25th, 2010, 02:26 PM
What is missing or not working like that anymore? Do you have a network manager icon? Can you see a list of available wireless networks? Is networking and wireless enabled? You are using a laptop. Is there a hardware switch that you need to set to activate wireless in the laptop?

The fact that things work when using the live CD proves that there is not a problem with Ubuntu recognizing the wireless device or with connecting to the router/modem.

Your post sounds like a complaint instead of a request for help. We need to know what you are seeing or not seeing as you try to connect.

Regards.

I told ya, on live CD everything works fine. What changed, well, I posted you a screenshot, I can't see a list of available wireless networks anymore, and networking is enabled (so is wireless too). Hardware switch is on, why would I deactivate it?
Thanks.

lolara
November 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I downloaded and installed updates. After restart, wired connection also doesn't work, it simply says Connection state: Unmanaged for both adapters. What now?
I'm stuck at windows now.. :/

lolara
November 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone? It's urgent..

spiky001
November 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Ok what I would do is load cd into software sources, now I dont have kubuntu so not sure where it is on ubuntu it's in System/Administration/software sources if you tick cd at bottom then reload update manager it should load drivers from disc

chili555
November 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
First, let's be sure your wireless driver is loaded. In Applications > Accessories > Terminal do:
sudo modprobe ipw2200
iwconfigDo you now have a wireless interface eth1? If so, please run:
sudo iwlist eth1 scanNow can you connect?

If not, let's be sure the kill switch is in the correct place:
rfkill list allWhat kind of laptop is it?

Depending on these answers, we'll decide how to proceed.

linux-hack
November 25th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Well may be (probably) after install you do updates, so your kernel is updated.That means you don't have the same kernel modules on the installed system as in the live CD. AM I WRONG ?
Be sure also that it is enabled in the BIOS.

chili555
November 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
so your kernel is updated.That means you don't have the same kernel modules on the installed system as in the live CD. AM I WRONG ? ipw2200, shown in his tinypic, have been in the kernel since forever.

linux-hack
November 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM
ipw2200, shown in his tinypic, have been in the kernel since forever.

Didn't see the screenshot :oops:

lolara
November 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM
First, let's be sure your wireless driver is loaded. In Applications > Accessories > Terminal do:
sudo modprobe ipw2200
iwconfigDo you now have a wireless interface eth1? If so, please run:
sudo iwlist eth1 scanNow can you connect?

If not, let's be sure the kill switch is in the correct place:
rfkill list allWhat kind of laptop is it?

Depending on these answers, we'll decide how to proceed.

Still not working.
http://i51.tinypic.com/wix3f4.png
Toshiba Satellite Pro M70

chili555
November 25th, 2010, 11:29 PM
It says 'Unmanaged.' What happens when you click "Manage Connections?' Your wireless driver is healthy.

lolara
November 25th, 2010, 11:32 PM
It opens me network manager where I can create wired/wireless/VPN... connections.
Even if I do, it still doesn't do anything.

chili555
November 26th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Please do:
sudo gedit /etc/network/interfacesRemove all listings except:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopbackProofread, save and close gedit. Now, restart NM and networking.
sudo service networking restart
suso service network-manager restartIs there any change in the Network Manager icon? If not, reboot and look again.

lolara
November 26th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Whoa! That works! Thanks a lot! :D
Hope I won't have to do that every time.. :p

chili555
November 26th, 2010, 12:43 AM
If it doesn't work correctly now, please post back and we'll try to fix it. I'm glad you're back in business.

lolara
November 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, just what I thought, I need to do those steps every time I turn on computer.

chili555
November 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Let's see which exact thing starts it. Reboot. Open a terminal and do:
lsmod | grep ipwIs the module ipw2200 loaded? If so, that's a factor we can eliminate. If not, do:
sudo modprobe ipw2200Does that get the wireless going? If so, we know what we need to do:
sudo su
echo ipw2200 >> /etc/modules
exitIf the module ipw2200 was loaded, let's go on to the next step:
sudo service network-manager restartDoes that get you going, or does this?
sudo service networking restartWhichever specific step is the key, we can automate. Post back and we'll proceed.

lolara
November 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
This:
{

sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces
Remove all listings except:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
Save and close kate. Now, restart NM.

sudo service network-manager restart
}
Also note, I have to pppoeconf every time I do that, so if you could automate that too, that would be nice. :)

chili555
November 26th, 2010, 10:33 PM
This:
{
Code:

sudo kate /etc/network/interfaces

Remove all listings except:
Code:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I don't understand. Once you have made that change, isn't it persistent? I suspect what's really happening is that your pppeoconf settings are not staying. Have you tried to set the details in Network Manager by right-clicking the icon and selecting 'Edit Connections'? Select the DSL tab and putting your username and password there; also check "Connect Automatically.'

Post back and let me know your progress.

lolara
November 26th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Alright, here's the deal. I deleted again everything from that file except those 2 lines, and rebooted, after reboot, wireless worked and connected to my network, but the dsl connection I made, didnt work, it didn't connect, nor it appears in network manager connections where I can just click it to connect, so I had to use pppoeconf again.

chili555
November 26th, 2010, 11:56 PM
wireless worked and connected to my network, but the dsl connection I made, didnt work, it didn't connect,I'm afraid I don't understand. It connected or it didn't connect? Which?

lolara
November 27th, 2010, 12:17 AM
You said that I need to make a DSL connection in network manager and set it to "automatically connect" which I did, and that (auto connect) didn't happen, nor I can 'dial' it. But on the other side wlan works after booting now, I don't have to do those steps again.

chili555
November 27th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Thank you. I understand better now.

lolara
November 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Thank you. I understand better now.
So.. what now? :P

chili555
November 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Tell me what pppoeconf commands you run. Obscure or diguise any passwords or unique details.

lolara
November 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Tell me what pppoeconf commands you run. Obscure or diguise any passwords or unique details.

I simply run pppoeconf, and always hit "Yes" on every question, enter my username and password, again "yes" "yes" "yes".. and that's it.. :P

chili555
November 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I still don't understand. Maybe I'm getting too old; you don't get 7,000 posts in a week!

Evidently, something is connecting and something else is not:
wireless worked and connected to my network, but the dsl connection I made, didnt work, it didn't connect, nor it appears in network manager connections
that (auto connect) didn't happen, nor I can 'dial' it. But on the other side wlan works after booting nowWhat I am reading is 'it works and it doesn't work.' I don't understand.

Is this a DSL modem that you are connected to? With or without a router? Do you have the option to put the DSL username and password in the router?

Or, heaven forbid, is this a dial-up telephone connection?

Is this any help?

http://ubuntuguide.net/fix-dsl-pppoe-connection-problem-with-network-manager-in-ubuntu-9-10

lolara
November 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Argh, I need to connect to modem (wirelessly) and then, because modem is set in bridge mode, I need to make a dsl connection to connect. I can set modem to pppoe but I have more usernames and passwords because I don't have flat rate I switch between them.. :P
P.S. The link didn't work.

chili555
November 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
P.S. The link didn't work.Did you try to copy and paste it into Firefox or did you just click it?
have more usernames and passwords because I don't have flat rate I switch between them..If you were using Network Manager to do the hard work, you'd still have to manually edit the various usernames and passwords. I am not sure that running pppoeconf is any less cumbersome.

lolara
November 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Did you try to copy and paste it into Firefox or did you just click it?
Meh, I wanted to say that the solution doesn't work, sorry.

If you were using Network Manager to do the hard work, you'd still have to manually edit the various usernames and passwords. I am not sure that running pppoeconf is any less cumbersome.
Well, in Network Manager I could create more connections and then dial whichever I want, right?

chili555
November 27th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Well, in Network Manager I could create more connections and then dial whichever I want, right?It would seem so; what happened when you tried? Did you set them up and then click the NM icon and see them listed and select one? Did it try to connect or just sit there? Any signs of life?

I use PPPoE, but mine's set up in the router, so I am speculating a bit here.

lolara
November 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
When I create them, they aren't listed in NM.
I mean, they don't show up when I click the icon so I could click on it to dial.