PDA

View Full Version : "Quotes" - Share your favorite here :)

amjjawad
November 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Quotes from movies, books or any other source, please share it here :)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.”

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. "

"A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life."

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

"What part of "NO" you don't understand?"

"Do I look like I care?"

"People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan."

"The End Justifies The Means."

"One murder makes a villain, millions often a hero."

"I Did Not Fail I Just Found Ten Thousand Ways That Didn't Work."

"I've been called a lot of things, but never funny."

"I once fixed a door that wasn't even broken yet."

"I confess that I have no desire to confess."

"I always knew what the right path was. Without exception, I knew, but I never took it. You know why? It was too damn hard."

"People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now."

"Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return."

"I walk by faith, not by sight."

"it's faith. It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on."

"If your parents don't have children the chances are you won't either."

"Disagree but DO NOT disrespect."

"We must all have a great sense of responsibility and not let things happen because everyone takes the comfortable view that someone else is looking after it. Someone else isn't looking after it."

"Action speak louder than words."

"Be the change you want to see around You."

trekrem
November 25th, 2010, 08:01 AM
The 'Pale Blue Dot' quote...

Regarding this image of Earth taken from 3.7 billion miles away.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Pale_Blue_Dot.png

"Look again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves." - Carl Sagan

OP, might wanna check your html ;)

amjjawad
November 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM
OP, might wanna check your html

I have NO idea what happened but thanks a lot for letting me know :)

beercz
November 25th, 2010, 08:24 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132952

amjjawad
November 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132952

Last post was: December 4th, 2009. But thanks a lot, I have new source of quotes now :D

forrestcupp
November 25th, 2010, 10:29 PM
"It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is." –Bill Clinton

Hippytaff
November 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
'I feel like a pig s5*t in my head' Whithnail and I

'We are a collective unconscious experiencing it's self subjectively' Bill Hicks

'...the greatest of these is love' St Paul

TheNessus
November 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM
"If you ever saw me smile, you should know I felt sick inside".

I'm having a bad month.

amjjawad
November 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."
Denzel Washington - Training Day.

"Dear Warden, You were right. Salvation lies within."
[Norton flips through a couple of pages to find the outline of the rock hammer that was hidden in the Book of Exodus within the Bible, and then drops it on the floor in shock]
Tim Robbins - The Shawshank Redemption.

limestone
November 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Some of the best according to me.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter - Mark Twain
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional - Chili Davis
We never know the worth of water till the well is dry - Thomas Fuller
Always remember that the future comes one day at a time - Dean Acheson
If there is no struggle, there is no progress - Frederick Douglass
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image - Stephen Hawking
All our knowledge merely helps us to die a more painful death than animals that know nothing - Maurice Maeterlinck
No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow - Euripides
Dreams are necessary to life - Anais Nin
A man of courage is also full of faith - Marcus Tullius Cicero
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself - Josh Billings
Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious - Peter Ustinov
Every man dies. Not every man really lives - William Wallace
Life well spent is long - Leonardo da Vinci
A mistake is simply another way of doing things - Katharine Graham
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough - George Bernard Shaw
All things are difficult before they are easy - Thomas Fuller
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas A. Edison
Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice - Fairlane

t0p
November 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM
"Freedom of speech is the right to shout 'Theater!' in a crowded fire." (http://www.iwise.com/OdaKW)
~Abbie Hoffman, one of the original Yippies

julio_cortez
November 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
This is mine (I thought I already posted it in another thread this summer):

The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.

S. G. Eriksson

I got to think about it during the last winter. Then, the more I was thinking about it the more I got convinced it's really how things go.

amjjawad
November 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
"A good word is like a good tree whose root is firmly fixed and whose top is in the sky."

"Where ye are, death will find you, even if ye are in towers, built up strong and tall."

Sean Moran
November 27th, 2010, 12:23 PM
"The species with the greatest capacity to be intelligent is also the species with the greatest capacity to be stupid."
(Sean Moran, 2010)

"What others must realise is that when a writer is staring out the window (or a geek is staring at a screen) for hours on end through the day, he is actually working"
(Unknown, UbuntuForums, someone's signature paraphrased). It was bloody wise, and I don't forget it.

Laxman_prodigy
November 27th, 2010, 12:33 PM
‎"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"

- Mahatma Gandhi.

Spice Weasel
November 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

cascade9
November 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
"Its the optimist thats only half full, forget the glass" and "If fortune feigned a smile, I'd search for hariline cracks"- Porl King.

"Skal-at madhr runar rista, nema radha vel kunni...." unknown.

Sean Moran
November 27th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Every cloud engenders not a storm.
-- William Shakespeare, "Henry VI"

Courtesy of Wanda the Fish.

73ckn797
November 27th, 2010, 03:21 PM
The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is gotten by the bird. You better know which one you are.

Sean Moran
November 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I can't remember who it was that used to say it, but he was a newsreader of some sort, and this is a good time to quote him:

"Good night and Good luck."

That's all folks.

red_Marvin
November 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
"'There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.'
--from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan"
--from Dune by Frank Herbert

matt_symes
November 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I am not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant plucker's son. I am only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes ;)

73ckn797
November 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
The optimist says the glass is half full.
The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
The pragmatist says get the right size glass.

CharlesA
November 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM
"The cake is a lie."

forrestcupp
November 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I am not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant plucker's son. I am only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes ;)

I always heard it, "I'm not the fig plucker nor the fig plucker's son, but I'll pluck figs till the fig plucker comes."

matt_symes
November 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I always heard it, "I'm not the fig plucker nor the fig plucker's son, but I'll pluck figs till the fig plucker comes."

Funny. :popcorn:

EDIT: Blimy, ten minutes later and i am still chuckling!!

amjjawad
November 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Man on Fire - Denzel Washington

"A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece."

"Dear God, I do not ask for health or wealth. People ask you so often that you can't have any left. Give me, God, what else you have. Give me what no-one else asks for. Amen."

"Revenge is a meal best served cold."

"There is no such thing as tough. There is trained and untrained. Now which are you?"

"Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting."

Oh yeah, it's one of my best favorite movie :)

amjjawad
November 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

"If your house is made of glass don't throw stones at others."

"If you see the teeth of the lion, do not think that the lion is smiling to you.
"

"Don't try to fix me I'm not broken."

lisati
November 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
Sounds vaguely familiar.......is someone who jumps in the river in Paris, France in Seine?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over in exactly the same way, and somehow expecting different results."

EchoTech
November 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM
A hand in the bush is worth two on the bird.

MooPi
November 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
From Ronald Reagan
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

MooPi
November 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I screw it up just reading it :)

Strategist01
November 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”

Not too sure who it's attributed to though.

gnomeuser
November 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it: a petty unjust unforgiving control-freak: a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser: a misogynistic homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror.

Richard Dawkins, not a big fan of sugar coating.

If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?

Carl Sagan

All of the books in the world contain no more information than is broadcast as video in a single large American city in a single year. Not all bits have equal value.

Carl Sagan

Imagine a room awash in gasoline, and there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine thousand matches, the other seven thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger.

Carl Sagan

amjjawad
November 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
The Shawshank Redemption (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111161/)

Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
Red: No.
Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.
Share this quote
1967 Parole Hearings Man: Ellis Boyd Redding, your files say you've served 40 years of a life sentence. Do you feel you've been rehabilitated?
Red: Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.
1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society...
Red: I know what *you* think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made up word. A politician's word, so young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie, and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?
1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, are you?
Red: There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bulls*** word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a s***.
Brooks: Easy peasy japanesey.
Red: Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

Andy Dufresne: There are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
Red: What're you talking about?
Andy Dufresne: Hope.
Red: [narrating] Forty years I been asking permission to ****. I can't squeeze a drop without say-so.

Red: [narrating] I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

What a GREAT movie :D

pricetech
November 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Shoot the Duck, Shoot the Duck !!!!!

Daffy Duck

Hippytaff
November 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
'I'm a trained actor reduced to the status of a bum' - Whithnail 'Whithnail and I'

'even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day' - I 'Whithnail and I'

handy
December 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM
You don't know, what you don't know.

I said that.

I'm sure it has been said thousands of times before.

amjjawad
December 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
My own quote ... yes, my own words :)

"Impossible does NOT exist in my dictionary"

"Failing and failing again was the main reason of my success"

pricetech
December 3rd, 2010, 01:50 AM
Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hat's on fire.

The Doctor

kvant
December 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
All the best people in life seem to like LINUX.

Steve Wozniak

BigCityCat
December 3rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
"Government is not the solution to our problems. Government is the problem"

Ronald Regan

BigCityCat
December 3rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
"Life is a **** sandwich. The more bread you have the less **** you have to eat" Dad

"In life there is a ****ee and a ****er. You are either going to get ****ed or your going to **** somebody else" Dad

Khakilang
December 3rd, 2010, 04:32 AM
The air cond is useless when you open the windows. Can't remember who say it.

MisterGaribaldi
December 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
"I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust a few heads and maybe they'll bust mine; but nobody sells out my people. Nobody."

-- Security Chief Michael Alfredo Garibaldi, Point of No Return

Here's a "Best Of..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzhkKv-E4Wo) of my namesake's quotes. Enjoy!

L1nchp1N
December 3rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Wherever you go, go with all your heart ~ Confucious

If it happened once, it can happen again.

Whether you think you can or you think you cannot, you are right ~ Henry Ford

pissedoffdude
December 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" - Hunter Thompson
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much" - Oscar Wilde
"Amor Fati - "Love your fate, which is in fact your life" - Friedrich Nietzsche
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith proves nothing" - Friedrich Nietzsche
"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

reyfer
December 3rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. Rick Cook

I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER. Groucho Marx

Today is the tomorrow I was so worried about yesterday. Anthony Hopkins

Windows Nerd
December 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
The optimist says the glass is half full.
The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
The pragmatist says get the right size glass.

I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

There's a lot of wise words here: http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Albert_Einstein/

Windows Nerd
December 3rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
The air cond is useless when you open the windows. Can't remember who say it.

Linus Torvalds I believe. But this one is so popular that I don't really know.

handy
December 3rd, 2010, 07:37 AM
I can't remember who it was that used to say it, but he was a newsreader of some sort, and this is a good time to quote him:

"Good night and Good luck."

That was Edward Murrow, one of the greatest journalists the U.S. has ever known.

He was primarily responsible for bringing down Senator Joe MaCarthy, who we all know was mad.

These glorious insults are (mostly) from an era before the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words:

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:
She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."
He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."
"That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book. I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play. Bring a friend, if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second, if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself. He is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork." - Mae West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts, for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

rg4w
December 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
- T. E. Lawrence

Ix Oh Yeah xI
December 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
"And then Haga enter corner, and he not care about life"
-Valentino Rossi

amjjawad
December 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Al Pacino - City Hall (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115907/)

Mayor John Pappas: I was warned not to come here. I was warned. They warned me, "Don't stand behind that coffin." But why should I heed such a warning, when a heartbeat is silent and a child lies dead? "Don't stand behind" this coffin. That boy was as pure and as innocent as the driven snow. But I must stand here, because I have not given you what you should have. Until we can walk abroad and recreate ourselves; until we can stroll along the streets like boulevards; congregate in parks free from fear, our families mingling, our children laughing, our hearts joined - until that day we have no city. You can label me a failure until that day. The first and perhaps only great mayor was Greek. He was Pericles of Athens, and he lived some 2500 years ago, and he said, "All things good on this Earth flow into the City, because of the City's greatness." Well, we were great once. Can we not be great again? Now, I put that question to James Bone, and there's only silence. Yet could not something pass from this sweet youth to me? Could he not empower me to find in myself the strength to have the knowledge to summon up the courage to accomplish this seemingly insurmountable task of making a city livable? Just livable. There was a palace that was a city. It was a PALACE! It was a PALACE and it CAN BE A PALACE AGAIN! A PALACE, in which there is no king or queen, or dukes or earls or princes, but subjects all: subjects beholden to each other, to make a better place to live. Is that too much to ask?
Audience: No!
Mayor John Pappas: Are we asking too much for this?
Audience: No!
Mayor John Pappas: Is it beyond our reach?
Some Audience Members: No!
Mayor John Pappas: Because if it is, then we are nothing but sheep being herded to the final SLAUGHTERHOUSE! I will not go down, THAT WAY!
[the audience begins shouting approval]
Mayor John Pappas: I choose to FIGHT BACK! I choose to RISE, not fall! I choose to LIVE, not die! And I know, I know that what's within me is also WITHIN YOU.
Audience Member: Amen!
Mayor John Pappas: That's why I ask you now to join me. Join me, RISE UP with me, RISE UP on the wings of this slain angel.
[Audience members begin shouting "Yes" at every pause]
Mayor John Pappas: We'll rebuild on the soul of this little warrior. We will pick up his standard and RAISE it high! Carry it forward until THIS CITY - YOUR CITY - OUR CITY - HIS CITY - IS A PALACE OF GOD! IS A PALACE OF GOD! I am with you, little James. I am you.

handy
December 4th, 2010, 02:01 AM
From the movie Samsara:

Yashodhara...
Do you know that name?
Prince Siddhartha, Gautama, Shakyamuni, Buddha...
Everybody knows these names
but "Yashodhara"?

Yashodhara was married to Siddhartha.
She loved him dearly.
One night, Siddhartha left her
and their son, Rahul,
to seek Enlightenment and to become Buddha.

He did not even say a word when he left.
Yashodhara has shown compassion
for the sick and ailing
long before Siddhartha was even aware of suffering!
Who can say if he owed his Enlightenment to her?
Perhaps Yashodhara wanted to leave Siddhartha and Rahul.

How can we ever know
if Yashodhara fell victim to anger,
loneliness or bitterness
after Siddhartha left her?
Who even thought about her?

What must she have said when Rahul, her son
asked the eternal question:
"Where is my father?"
What must she have told him?
How could a mother leave her own child,
in the middle of the night?

It is only possible for a man to do.
Tashi... Only for a man.
Yashodhara had no choice
but to lead a life of renunciation.
She cut off her hair
and lived like an ascetic.
Oh Tashi...

If your thoughts towards Dharma were of the same intensity
as the love and passion you have shown me,
you would have become a Buddha in this very body,
in this very life.

"How can one prevent a drop of water from ever drying up?"
By throwing it into the sea.

chris200x9
December 4th, 2010, 02:30 AM
"my hands should always be on your body"

"nothing I could say today could be worth saying anyway"

"today's going to be a boring day (I know it) I'm not interested in what I'm doing (I'll show it)"

"It's not the end I fear with every breath, it's life that scares me to death"

amjjawad
December 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM
"I am he, who the blind looked in to my literature and my words were heard by who is deaf."

Evil-Ernie
December 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Theres some real good one on this thread, heres my additions:

The most effective way to restrict democracy is to transfer decision-making from the public arena to unaccountable institutions: kings and princes, priestly castes, military juntas, party dictatorships, or modern corporations.

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.

We could have saved the Earth but we were too damned cheap.

When a day that you happen to know is Wednesday starts off sounding like Sunday, there is something seriously wrong somewhere.

koenn
December 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
The early bird gets the worm, ...
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Sam Fallow
December 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer. - Homer

Life is just a ride - Bill Hicks

Experience is something you gain 10 seconds after you really need it.

An expert is just someone who knows more and more about less and less.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing. — Emo Philips

skirkpatrick
December 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM
"Life is in dynamic equilibrium, it blows and sucks" on bathroom stall in college physics building

"An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, a realist knows that somebody has to wash the damn glass"

pricetech
December 9th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I married the moonshiner's daughter, and I love her still.

Unknown

koenn
December 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Given a choice between dancing pigs and security, users will pick dancing pigs every time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_pigs

You Need Coolin', Baby I Ain't Foolin'
Led Zeppelin on data center management

and

time flies like an arrow,
fruit flies like a banana

Doctor Mike
December 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
"42".

Trougedoor122
December 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

who knows what movie that's from?

click4851
December 10th, 2010, 03:22 AM
"you can have my guns, when you pry them from my cold dead hands."

amjjawad
December 10th, 2010, 07:51 AM
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/quotes

handy
December 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
V for Vendetta (I didn't look at the imdb link).

Evil-Ernie
December 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
"42".

But what is the question? ;)

Trougedoor122
December 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/quotes

I knew what movie that was from, I was asking if anyone else did.

amjjawad
December 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I knew what movie that was from, I was asking if anyone else did.

Then you should have written: who else knows ...
Never mind, I thought you were asking :)

pricetech
December 10th, 2010, 03:31 PM
When you "assume" something you make.... Well you know the rest.

Don't know who said it first.

No offense intended. Just a quote that came to mind.

Tristam Green
December 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

and

Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.

and

Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame for a man's heart than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave that cannot be returned.

ki4jgt
December 10th, 2010, 03:53 PM
You only get to live today once. Live it with honesty and integrity so you won't regret it when you get older!

amjjawad
December 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM
"Definitely, the worst fights ever are not those fights between you and your enemies but those between you and yourself."

itang sanjana
December 12th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Jimmy: I'm a bit confused about everything that's going on at the moment.
Clive Connelly: Does it feel like everyone's trying to pull your pants down, son?
Jimmy: Yeah. Yeah, that's it exactly.
Clive Connelly: My advice to you is .. start wearing a belt.
From The Calcium Kid film

Pogeymanz
December 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You can thank me later:

"My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all."
--Stephen Hawking

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors."
--Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."
-- T. S. Eliot

"He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
--Albert Einstein

"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong."
--Albert Einstein

"Newton, forgive me; you found the only way which in your age was just barely possible for a man with the highest powers of thought and creativity. The concepts which you created are guiding our thinking in physics even today..."
--Albert Einstein

"How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress."
--Niels Bohr

"If anybody says he can think about quantum physics without getting giddy, that only shows he has not understood the first thing about them."
--Niels Bohr

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical."
--Niels Bohr

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future."
--Niels Bohr

"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct. My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough."
--Niels Bohr

"Scientific views end in awe and mystery, lost at the edge in uncertainty, but they appear to be so deep and so impressive that the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate."
--Richard P. Feynman

"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning."
--Werner Heisenberg

"We have designed a civilization based on science and technology and at the same time have arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster. We may for a while get away with this mix of ignorance and power but sooner or later it is bound to blow up in our face."
-- Carl Sagan

P.S. Guess what field I'm in. ;)

matt_symes
December 12th, 2010, 08:08 PM
P.S. Guess what field I'm in. :wink:

Some great quotes. Keep them coming. :)

Spice Weasel
December 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
"It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand years as a lamb."

xircon
December 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Emo Philips:

I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one, and asked Him
to forgive me....

My nephew's computer beat me at chess...but it was no match for me at kick boxing!

I ran three miles today. Finally, I said, "Lady, keep your purse."

pricetech
December 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
P.S. Guess what field I'm in. ;)

Knitting ?????

amjjawad
December 18th, 2010, 08:27 AM
"I'm sorry, was that a typo?"

amjjawad
December 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
‎"I'm going to say it ONLY ONCE no matter what. Take it or leave it, your call."

Beans: 911 < :D

amjjawad
January 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM
My journey to learn and better understand Linux began over a decade ago, back in 1998. I had just installed my first
Linux distribution and had quickly become intrigued with the whole concept and philosophy behind Linux.
There are always many ways to accomplish a single task. The same can be said about Linux distributions. A great
many have existed over the years. Some still exist, some have morphed into something else, yet others have been
relegated to our memories. They all do things differently to suit the needs of their target audience. Because so many
different ways to accomplish the same end goal exist, I began to realize I no longer had to be limited by any one
implementation. Prior to discovering Linux, we simply put up with issues in other Operating Systems as you had no
choice. It was what it was, whether you liked it or not. With Linux, the concept of choice began to emerge. If you
didn't like something, you were free, even encouraged, to change it.
I tried a number of distributions and could not decide on any one. They were great systems in their own right. It
wasn't a matter of right and wrong anymore. It had become a matter of personal taste. With all that choice available,
it became apparent that there would not be a single system that would be perfect for me. So I set out to create my
own Linux system that would fully conform to my personal preferences.
To truly make it my own system, I resolved to compile everything from source code instead of using pre-compiled
binary packages. This “perfect” Linux system would have the strengths of various systems without their perceived
weaknesses. At first, the idea was rather daunting. I remained committed to the idea that such a system could be built.
After sorting through issues such as circular dependencies and compile-time errors, I finally built a custom-built
Linux system. It was fully operational and perfectly usable like any of the other Linux systems out there at the time.
But it was my own creation. It was very satisfying to have put together such a system myself. The only thing better
would have been to create each piece of software myself. This was the next best thing.
As I shared my goals and experiences with other members of the Linux community, it became apparent that there was
a sustained interest in these ideas. It quickly became plain that such custom-built Linux systems serve not only to meet
user specific requirements, but also serve as an ideal learning opportunity for programmers and system administrators
to enhance their (existing) Linux skills. Out of this broadened interest, the Linux From Scratch Project was born.

Gerard Beekmans
LFS (Linux From Scratch) Book - Version 6.7

ki4jgt
January 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Alian ne mallaŭdu, vin mem ne aplaŭdu.

KIAaze
January 6th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Ĉu ni rajtas skribi en aliaj lingvoj sen traduki? :)
(Do we have the right to write in other languages without translating?)

Ne sufiĉas kabeiĝi por iĝi Kabe.
(untranslatable :P)

SoFl W
January 6th, 2011, 11:52 PM

It has been around a lot longer than the movie.

amjjawad
January 7th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Ĉu ni rajtas skribi en aliaj lingvoj sen traduki? :)
(Do we have the right to write in other languages without translating?)

Ne sufiĉas kabeiĝi por iĝi Kabe.
(untranslatable :P)

I'm afraid English is the only language that we suppose to use here :)

ki4jgt
January 7th, 2011, 01:44 AM

Sorry, I got the quote from someone in this language and I've never translated it.

Translation:

What others don't reproach, you don't applaud!

Austin25
January 7th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I don't look down on people because I feel superior. I look down on people because I'm 6'3".

KIAaze
January 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Sorry, I got the quote from someone in this language and I've never translated it.

Translation:

What others don't reproach, you don't applaud!

Vi malbone tradukis la frazon.
La ĝusta traduko estas:
"Don't reproach others and don't applaude yourself" aŭ "Don't criticize others, and don't blow your own trumpet." (http://eo.lernu.net/komunikado/forumo/temo.php?t=8017)

Alia cito:
"En la komenco estis la vorto, la unua neologismo." (el "Verdeskaj pensoj" de Georgo Handzlik)
=========
You wrongly translated the sentence.
The correct translation is:
"Don't reproach others and don't applaude yourself" or "Don't criticize others, and don't blow your own trumpet." (http://eo.lernu.net/komunikado/forumo/temo.php?t=8017)

Other quote:
"In the beginning was the Word, the first neologism." (from "Greenlike thoughts" by Georgo Handzlik)

ki4jgt
January 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Vi malbone tradukis la frazon.
La ĝusta traduko estas:
"Don't reproach others and don't applaude yourself" aŭ "Don't criticize others, and don't blow your own trumpet." (http://eo.lernu.net/komunikado/forumo/temo.php?t=8017)

Alia cito:
"En la komenco estis la vorto, la unua neologismo." (el "Verdeskaj pensoj" de Georgo Handzlik)
=========
You wrongly translated the sentence.
The correct translation is:
"Don't reproach others and don't applaude yourself" or "Don't criticize others, and don't blow your own trumpet." (http://eo.lernu.net/komunikado/forumo/temo.php?t=8017)

Other quote:
"In the beginning was the Word, the first neologism." (from "Greenlike thoughts" by Georgo Handzlik)

Thanks :-). I still like my version better. (Even though it may have been wrong) it makes more sense to me that way.

***EDIT; However I may reword it now, so I can keep it to the way I like it.

SoFl W
January 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Like many other people here I have many quotes I have saved. I was reminded of a quote just a few minutes ago.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

January 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Some people juggle geese!

mobilediesel
January 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Klaatu barada nikto

infestor
January 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur Clarke

i love this quote

ki4jgt
January 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
- arthur clarke

i love this quote

+ 1

amjjawad
January 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Boot Baby... boot

SliTaz :)

amjjawad
March 27th, 2011, 05:34 PM
"When the truth sets you free, it usually beats the crap out of somebody else."

"You don't have to like me, I'm not a Facebook status."

Megaptera
March 27th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad.

I chose the road less traveled - now where the heck am I?

Life is sexually transmitted.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Ikthel
April 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Loving this thread :popcorn: please keep it going guys :D

"I believe in one thing only, the power of human will"-Joseph Stalin

"I don't pray for an easier life, I pray to be a stronger man"-JFK

‎"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

"A little evil, for the greater good I always say" -unknown

"My personal philosophy is that with technology anything is possible" -unknown

amjjawad
June 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
One should be able to CHANGE "negativity" to "positivity" and improve the positivity - as much as possible - to reach to the point where everything is almost perfect :-)

hhh
June 7th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Some from pop culture...

All those moments will be lost in time... like... tears... in rain.
Rutger Hauer as Roy ad libbing (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4176679811538561619#) in "Blade Runner".

Laughing and crying, you know it's the same release.
Joni Mitchell in her song, "People's Parties (http://grooveshark.com/s/People+s+Parties/2tDIVj?src=5)".

Fingers so clumsy, voice too loud.
Pete Townshend in his song, "I'm One (http://grooveshark.com/s/I+m+One/2z7WQI?src=5)".

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
Dean Martin

Atomic batteries to power... turbines to speed!
Burt Ward as Robin, the Boy Wonder in Batman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdu0xRmq3AY).

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
"It needs to be about 20% cooler"

hhh
June 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM
"It needs to be about 20% cooler"
That is one odd obsession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbXGsysAAk) you have there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mu38Gcyoi8).

MBybee
June 7th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Machines take me by surprise with great frequency.
Alan Turing

hakermania
June 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
Backtrack's development team - surprised that nobody has already posted it till now

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 09:36 PM
That is one odd obsession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbXGsysAAk) you have there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mu38Gcyoi8).

At least someone got the reference.

jramshu
June 7th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Didn't read back through the thread to see if this is listed.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
Author Unknown

rg4w
June 7th, 2011, 09:40 PM
"What works is better than what looks good. The looks good can change, but what works, works."
- Ray Eames

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM
"Anything quoted on the internet is probably linked to the wrong author" - Abraham Lincoln

"Got any enemies? Good. That means you've done something worthwhile in your life" - Mark Twain

MBybee
June 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Another favorite:

When a place gets crowded enough to require ID's, social collapse is not far away. It is time to go elsewhere. The best thing about space travel is that it made it possible to go elsewhere.
Robert A. Heinlein

Now... where's my spacecraft?

JKyleOKC
June 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
"It's later now than it's ever been."

Legendary_Bibo
June 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM
"Spah sappin mah sentry!" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2

"It's never Lupus" - Dr. House M.D.

forrestcupp
June 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
"I crap bigger than you!" - Curly on City Slickers

coldraven
June 8th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm pink therefore I'm spam -René Descartes (maybe!)

antoiner_roquentin
June 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM
This one:
"Anyway, I'm sort of glad they've got the atomic bomb invented. If there's ever another war, I'm going to sit right the hell on top of it. I'll volunteer for it, I swear to God I will." ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 18

and also this one:
"I was half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can. " ~J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye, Chapter 10

matt_symes
June 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
@antoiner_roquentin (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1314179)

Perchance, have you just read The Catcher in the Rye ?

BTW: Silly font.

cespinal
June 8th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Run!, you fools! - Albus Dumbledore

forrestcupp
June 9th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Run!, you fools! - Albus Dumbledore

Not quite as good as

"Fly, you fools!" - Gandalf

ve4cib
June 9th, 2011, 03:30 AM
"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what's right."
-Isaac Asimov

amjjawad
June 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching."

"Each one prays to God according to his own light."

"I do not want to foresee the future. I am concerned with taking care of the present. God has given me no control over the moment following."

"If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide."

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world."

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

"Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep."

"My life is my message."

"Nobody can hurt me without my permission."

"My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realizing Him."

Gerontion
June 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
"L'enfer, c'est les autres", which always seems especially apt when at the supermarket.

doas777
June 19th, 2011, 08:21 AM
"They that would surrender essential liberties to obtain a measure of temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".
--Benjamin Franklin (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Benjamin_Franklin/)

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1381.html

"Alea iacta est"
--Julius Ceasar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alea_iacta_est

ssreddy555
June 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by daftlad

Gave up on windows because, using a pc with all that security and anti virus software is like having sex with a condom on, it ruins the pleasure.

Legendary_Bibo
June 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM
New one.

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

-- C.S. Lewis

June 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
"Grim piñata."
-- Victory Mine Vortigaunt

Spice Weasel
June 19th, 2011, 11:01 PM
"I think I am, therefore I am. I think."
-- George Carlin

"I have no race prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices. All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse."
-- Mark Twain

45acp
June 20th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Dr. McCoy: Spock, I've found that evil usually triumphs...unless good is very, very careful.

handy
June 20th, 2011, 03:26 AM
"The truth that can be spoken, is not the truth." Lao Tzu

Dyzphagia
June 20th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Two quotes from my personal hero. Bruce Lee was an extraordinary human being, a man I look up to every day I'm still living.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level."

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

CraigPaleo
June 24th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

mips
June 24th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
-D. H. Lawrence

CraigPaleo
June 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM
You won't see the Gates-ler.
Don't knock at his door.
He stays in his Lerkim on top of his store.
He lurks in his Lerkim, cold under the roof,
where he makes his own software
out of vapourware poof.

~Dr. Seuss

Bandit
June 24th, 2011, 08:17 PM
He who gives up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

MBybee
June 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM
“All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry”
- Edgar Allan Poe

CraigPaleo
July 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

~Unknown

haqking
July 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM
"What do you mean, you are a man ?"

amjjawad
July 8th, 2011, 10:56 PM
"If the boot fits!".

haqking
July 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
"What you doing up at this time of night baking"

My mates response to his wife when he came home drunk one night and stumbling through the dark found her waiting behind the door with a rolling pin ;-)

CraigPaleo
July 8th, 2011, 11:46 PM
A woman should cleave into her husband. Right here in this house is where Edith's cleavage belongs.

~Archie Bunker

peter d
July 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM
"Everybody's got to be somewhere" Eccles

"You dirty rotten swine. You deaded me." Bluebottle

July 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Everybody dies alone.
--Mal

Allavona
July 10th, 2011, 01:49 AM
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

Ghandi

jerenept
July 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
Richard Dawkins

ajsoulmate
July 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
‎"He Who Has NO Plan B, Has NO Plan AT ALL."

amjjawad
September 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM
"The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie."

"I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you."

"A half-truth is a whole lie."

"A single lie destroys a whole reputation for integrity."

"Slap me or do whatever you want but don't lie to me because if you lie to me then you would have killed me."

PhillyPhil
September 24th, 2011, 01:55 PM
"Come with me if you want to live"
-Kyle Reese

Famicube64
September 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
"I'll be back."

My Dad

hakermania
September 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups --
alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat.
-- Alex Levine

And I heard Jeff exclaim,
As they strolled out of sight,
"Merry Christmas to all --
You take credit cards, right?"
-- "Outsiders" comic

...He who laughs does not believe in what he laughs at, but neither
does he hate it. Therefore, laughing at evil means not preparing oneself to
combat it, and laughing at good means denying the power through which good is
self-propagating.
-- Umberto Eco, "The Name of the Rose"

The only thing that experience teaches us is that experience teaches us nothing.
-- Andre Maurois (Emile Herzog)

A young man and his girlfriend were walking along Main Street when she spotted
a beautiful diamond ring in a jewelry-store window. "Wow, I'd sure love to
have that!" she gushed.
"No problem," her companion replied, throwing a brick through the
window and grabbing the ring.
A few blocks later, the woman admired a full-length sable coat. "What
I'd give to own that," she said, sighing.
"No problem," he said, throwing a brick through the window and grabbing
the coat.
Finally, turning for home, they passed a car dealership. "Boy, I'd do
anything for one of those Rolls-Royces," she said.
"Jeez, baby," the guy moaned, "you think I'm made of bricks?"

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
possess.
-- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]

Dave Mack: "Your stupidity, Allen, is simply not up to par."
Allen Gwinn: "Yours is."

If a system is administered wisely,
its users will be content.
They enjoy hacking their code
and don't waste time implementing
labor-saving shell scripts.
Since they dearly love their accounts,
they aren't interested in other machines.
There may be telnet, rlogin, and ftp,
but these don't access any hosts.
There may be an arsenal of cracks and malware,
but nobody ever uses them.
People enjoy reading their mail,
take pleasure in being with their newsgroups,
spend weekends working at their terminals,
delight in the doings at the site.
And even though the next system is so close
that users can hear its key clicks and biff beeps,
they are content to die of old age
without ever having gone to see it.

Accent on helpful side of your nature. Drain the moat.

You will soon meet a person who will play an important role in your life.

"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began
to suspect "Hungry."
-- a Larson cartoon

Real Time, adj.:
Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.

"Little else matters than to write good code."
-- Karl Lehenbauer

Comparing information and knowledge is like asking whether the fatness of a
pig is more or less green than the designated hitter rule."
-- David Guaspari

I used to have a drinking problem. Now I love the stuff.

It's appositival, if it's there. And it doesn't have to be there.
And it's really obvious that it's there when it's there.
-- Larry Wall in <199709032332.QAA21669@wall.org>

Two brothers, Mort and Bill, like to sail. While Bill has a great
deal of experience, he certainly isn't the rigger Mort is.

Laugh and the world thinks you're an idiot.

The whole earth is in jail and we're plotting this incredible jailbreak.
-- Wavy Gravy

TeX is potentially the most significant invention in typesetting in this
century. It introduces a standard language for computer typography, and in
terms of importance could rank near the introduction of the Gutenberg press.
-- Gordon Bell
LOL I couldn't resist but to do:

a=0; while [ $a -lt 20 ]; do echo "\[quote\]";fortune;echo "\[/quote\]";echo; let a=$a+1;done (without the backslashes, I placed them so as to display it properly) so as to generate some quotes :D I am addicted o.O

PhillyPhil
September 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM
"Nooooooo!"
- Darth Vader

Pujims
September 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Didn't read back through the thread to see if this is listed.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
Author Unknown

Mark Twain

Inodoro Pereyra
September 24th, 2011, 03:42 PM
"A pessimist is a well informed optimist" Unknown.

"An optimist thinks we live in the best possible World. A pessimist fears that might be true." Unknown.

amjjawad
October 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me … Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful … that's what matters to me."

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.
Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

ice60
October 7th, 2011, 01:42 PM
"I am intelligent, but I let myself down because I can't speak properly or spell."
Jade Goody

"Who is Heinzstein?"
Jade Goody

"Sherlock Holmes invented toilets."
Jade Goody

"Has Greece got its own moon?"
Jade Goody

Don't tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let's just have another look at Italy's winning goal.

For those of you watching who do not have television sets, live commentary is on Radio 2.

Both of the Villa scorers - Withe and Mortimer - were born in Liverpool as was the Villa manager Ron Saunders who was born in Birkenhead.

He's 31 this year - last year he was 30.

He won the bronze medal in the 1976 Olympics so he's used to being out in front.

We estimate, and this isn't an estimation, that Greta Waltz is 80 seconds behind.

Linford Christie's got a habit of pulling it out when it matters most.

The late start is due to the time.
He's got his hands on his knees and holds his head in despair.

He's even smaller in real life than he is on the track.

This could be a repeat of what will happen in the European games next week.

It's a battle with himself and with the ticking fingers of the clock.

Here are some names to look forward to - perhaps in the future.

In the Moscow Olympics Lasse Viren came in fifth and ran a champions race.

He just can't believe what's not happening to him.

One of the great unknown champions because very little is known about him.

There'll be only one winner now - in every sense.

He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before that in 62.
The big Cuban opened his legs and showed his class.

(At the velodrome) The front wheel crosses the fininsh line, closely followed by the back wheel.

all David Coleman lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RCgXqoyLc
Ortis Deley

3rdalbum
October 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
"It was insanely great knowing him" - Bill Gates, talking about Steve Jobs.

[Marcus] : So I'm filling out an injury report for one of our stunt men...
[Greta] : Oh no what happened?
[Marcus] : He busted his nose in a stunt no big deal it happens. But the answers for the questions on the forms...
[Marcus] : How did the employee injure himself: his head was getting pushed into a toilet.
[Marcus] : Would this be a common work place injury: yes
[Marcus] : Statement made by employee: it's ok john, next week I get to hit you with a car

"Why don't Pacman wanna eat eyes?"

Why did they abbreviate it to y2k anyway? Isn't that the kind of behaviour that caused the problem in the first place?

< tmbg_> anyone given thought to using accelerometers from laptops as entropy inputs?
< tkoskine> "Generating a new encryption key, please shake your computer" ? :)

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Connor: Firefox 3.5. Download it.
Andrew: Give me the top 5 reasons to download it.
True: In iambic pentameter
Connor: For private browsing, tear-off tabs and then some,
Connor: Download Firefox three point five and see:
Connor: It's using Gecko one point nine point one,
Connor: And over twice as fast as Firefox three.
Connor: Pwned.

If I got arrested and had one phone call, I'd call the police station with a bomb scare

<JerZgirl> i wish my husband would quit cruising around looking for access points and come home already!
<Demon> Back when I was a kid, we just called them `girls'.

I think that's all the best Bash.org quotes from my Tomboy file :-)

amjjawad
October 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Life = Achievements = The More Achievements you have, The Longer Life you live. The Less Achievements you have, The Shorter Life you live.

Me :D

Bottom Line: DON'T come and say "Life is too short", it's NOT too short, believe me.

ajsoulmate
October 16th, 2011, 07:56 PM
"Success is not measured by what you accomplish but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds."

Orison Swett Marden

Pcmechanic
October 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
My two favourite quotes : (both by Einstein)

Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

amjjawad
October 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

"Stupidity is alive and doing well" :)

ajsoulmate
October 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM
There are only two roads that lead to something like human happiness. They are marked by the words . . . love and achievement. . . . In order to be happy oneself it is necessary to make at least one other person happy. . . . The secret of human happiness is not in self-seeking but in self-forgetting.

Dr. Theodor Reik

Legendary_Bibo
October 18th, 2011, 06:08 AM
"I love it when a plan comes together" - John "Hannibal" Smith

amjjawad
October 28th, 2011, 10:01 AM
One for Linux and Linux for all - Me

:D

alexan
October 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
"I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor food; I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death. Let him who loves his country with his heart, and not merely with his lips, follow me." ~Giuseppe Garibaldi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Garibaldi)

t0p
October 28th, 2011, 12:24 PM
"The only way to fight hate is with even more hate (http://ihatehate.wordpress.com)" ~Eric Cartman ("South Park", the episode about Ginge Power).

vasa1
October 30th, 2011, 04:23 AM
"All living souls welcome whatever they are ready to cope with; all else they ignore, or pronounce to be monstrous and wrong, or deny to be possible."
Attributed to George Santayana

Thewhistlingwind
October 30th, 2011, 05:01 AM
The ability to show the way is a sign of genius. – F. Nietzsche

amjjawad
December 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hope I didn't post that before somewhere here :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/vg282u.jpg

mips
December 17th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Be your friend's
true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter
with laughter again
but betrayal with treachery.

- The Hávamál

donkyhotay
December 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM
"Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills" -myself

amjjawad
December 29th, 2011, 11:19 PM
There are just certain things in life that are better off unknown. Things you wish you never asked, never saw, never heard or never even felt.

Indeed!

llua+
December 30th, 2011, 12:12 AM
"If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation. What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death."

- Major Motoko Kusanagi

amjjawad
January 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
"It's the rule of life: Everything you've always waited for, comes the very second you stop looking for it."

amjjawad
February 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
I always tell the truth. Even when I lie

Tony Montana - Scarface

MBybee
February 2nd, 2012, 10:55 PM
"All our science is just a cookery book, with an orthodox theory of cooking that nobody's allowed to question, and a list of recipes that mustn't be added to except by special permission from the head cook."

- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

And *this*, btw, is why I support Open Culture. To do otherwise is to allow the MAFIAA and megacorps to control and dictate culture, science, and art. :)

Hells_Dark
February 2nd, 2012, 11:52 PM
"I'll be back."

My Dad

Hilarious :popcorn:

szymon_g
February 3rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
"Don't eat yellow snow"

click4851
February 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
"all yah gotta do is....."

"yeah, this part bolts right on...."

"oh that, well we call that a feature..."

forrestcupp
February 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
"I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest" - My Uncle Steve

StephanG
February 5th, 2012, 10:18 PM
"I'm busier than a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest" - My Uncle Steve

BWAHAHAHA! That's brilliant!

My quotes:

"Can you understand? That sometimes you have to do something, simply because if you didn't, you wouldn't be yourself anymore?"

"The country? The skies? You can have them. I'm just protecting what's right in front of me. I don't know what's going to happen to me in the future. But, if something has fallen right at my feet, the very least I can do is pick it up."

amjjawad
March 29th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm thankful to all those who said "NO" to me. It's because of them i did it myselfAlbert Einstein

zombifier25
March 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
There is no magic in the world that can fix this disc. Go digital.
-- Shirley from Courage the Cowardly Dog