PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB-N13 Ubuntu 10.10

jej2003
November 25th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I have spent a few hours trying to get my new USB-N13 wireless Adapter working with Ubuntu and I am really still struggling. If I do an iwconfig I get the following:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

ra0 Ralink STA ESSID:"linksys" Nickname:"RT2870STA"
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.442 GHz Access Point: 00:25:9C:D9:A1:9F
Bit Rate=130 Mb/s
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=71/100 Signal level:-68 dBm Noise level:-82 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
Which tells me Ubuntu has found the USB Adapter. For whatever reason I can't configure this using the Network Manager. If I manually configure the adapter by doing

iwconfig ra0 essid linksys
dhclient
I can connect, but if I restart those settings are lost. So first question, why does this not show up in network manager for me to configure, and second question why can't I access anything beyond my router? Second question, if I can't get network manager to work how can I set this up to work with my WPA enabled router (currently encryption is off to test things)?

uncaspi
November 25th, 2010, 06:28 AM
If there are additional lines except lo interface lines, they are not handled by the network-manager.

To access the outside world you must probably add a route.

sudo route add default gw x.x.x.x ra0

To encrypt use the key option in iwconfig. See man iwconfig

jej2003
November 25th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Not sure I follow what you mean by:

If there are additional lines except lo interface lines, they are not handled by the network-manager.

a bit of googling led me to this page (http://everyjoe.com/technology/howto-use-iwconfig/) as an example of how to use WPA Supplicant...I'll have to try this.

Ultimately though I'd like this all handled by network manager, how can I do this?

shenmeister
December 2nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Which driver are you using for this adapter?

I downloaded the latest driver from ASUS and compiled it. In the readme file, it says to make sure 'HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y' and 'HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y' are set in the ./os/linux/config.mk file to allow NetworkManager to work.

I'm running 10.04 Lucid and the adapter didn't work out-of-the-box, which is why I installed the driver. I don't know if this is the case in 10.10.