View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switched Motherboards - No Network

November 25th, 2010, 04:17 AM
I swapped mb's between 2 of our 'buntu machines & now I don't have a network connection on the one that I have got running again. It's definitely a software issue because I can load a live cd & get a connection. I assume that the NIC driver from the previous MB is there & needs to be removed or something but I'm not sure how to properly diagnose this issue.

November 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM
What does this do:

sudo ifconfig eth0 up

November 25th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Ran that. No change.

November 25th, 2010, 06:14 AM
If that's not working, can you post the output of this:

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Also look into iftab (http://linux.die.net/man/5/iftab), since that is where the config for the network interfaces is stored.

November 25th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Thanks for your help. The eth1 listing below might point to the problem. In Network Tools my NIC is listed as eth0. I had a similar problem some time ago with this board when I got a switch to use with our router. The network wouldn't work with the switch. I remember seeing eth2 in the output of some file. Somewhere along the line it went back to eth0 & then when i plugged it in to the switch it worked.

There's no iftab file in the directory shown at that link (I can see hidden files).

mammy@mammy:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

November 25th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Looks like iftab isn't on the desktop version of Ubuntu.

Try changing the entry in /etc/network/interfaces to eth0 instead of eth1 and reboot.

November 25th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Alright so 70 persistent-net.rules is the new iftab. I saw the eth1 in there (with a different mac address) & commented it out. I think I the ifconfig eth0 up command again & restarted & it's up!

Thanks again for your help!

Edit: I almost became one of those people that fixes the problem at the end of the thread but never says how they did it! Here it is:

In the terminal, run:

Look for the mac address of the NIC that's actually present. In my case it was eth1:

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:17:17:d5:b3
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
inet6 addr: fe80::216:17ff:fe17:d5b3/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:2095 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2190 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:982762 (982.7 KB) TX bytes:398519 (398.5 KB)
Interrupt:23 Base address:0xa400

In the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

In that file there will be lines for the old NIC card and the new one. You can verify by check the mac address. The old one will be eth0. comment out that line by entering a # and a space at the beginning of the line, change "eth1" in the line for the new NIC to "eth0", save the file, restart.

November 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info on 70 persistent-net.rules, I didn't know that.

Be sure to mark the thread as solved from thread tools :)