PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to set up two versions of Ubuntu?

owlcroft
November 25th, 2010, 02:26 AM
At present, I have two drives connected, a 250-GB SATA, on which I have Ubuntu upgraded to 10.04 with what I guess is GRUB1, and the other an 80-GB SCSI drive on which at present I have a non-Linux system (OS/2). My GRUB menu has, at the bottom, this set of lines (which work fine to add OS/2 as a functional boot-menu entry):

title OS/2 Boot Manager
root (hd1,3)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
What I now want to do is use that second drive to do a clean test-install of 10.10 from CD (wiping the drive clean). What I am asking is how do I go about that so that the new install:

a) ends up on that drive, and does not interfere with my current setup on the first drive; and

b) gets an entry in the displayed boot menu?

My best guess is that I would hand-edit the GRUB lines cited above (before even doing the 10.10 install) to be--

title Ubuntu Maverick 10.10
root (hd1)
chainloader +1
--but I'd like to be very, very sure. I also assume--ever-dangerous word!--that the easy way (or at any rate the safest way) to do the 10.10 install is to power-down, unplug the SATA drive, then power back up and boot from the install CD. Would that leave the 10.10 install OK after I re-connect the SATA drive? (That is, does anything get confused if the "identity" of the drive changes after the install?)

I want these two systems to be completely independent--that is, I do not need either to have access to the other's drive and files (and in fact it would be better if neither, when running, is even aware of the other).

owlcroft
November 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Does no one here have any help to offer?