PDA

View Full Version : I hate being home from work :(

MaindotC
November 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Today I had to take a day off from work because I had car trouble. I have a job with a financial firm as a Unix Sys Admin that I really like so I hate taking the day off because I can't get to work :( They actually have a really sweet, java-based remote desktop application but I can't really make up my time using that because it's really only supposed to serve as a back-up to days when everyone can't come to work (like a blizzard). At first I thought I just needed a jump, but then when the guy got there it still wouldn't start. So he towed the car to his shop which was a really friendly atmosphere and one of the salesman there knew everything about hockey and it passed the time really well. Unfortunately I had to keep on giving updates to my supervisor until finally I found out that I wouldn't be able to pick up my car before close of business and wouldn't be able to go to work late. Now, with the holiday coming up tomorrow my only option to make up work is to work a double on Friday because the pay period ends on Friday.

I'm home now, sitting in my sweatpants basically wasting the day away :( I feel so awkward - knowing that I should be working but instead I'm browsing the web goofing off. It's unfortunate because there are other employees in my department who are basically taking off from today on (because of the holiday) and I was sort of being counted on to carry some of the load. How do you feel about being cornered into taking a day off from work? Or are you one of those people who have backups and have never missed a day?

alket
November 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Today I was late too, with the same problem "car", but luckily it wasn't just me who was late there :p

Ric_NYC
November 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Make some money on Ebay...

:)

UKBB
November 24th, 2010, 10:00 PM
LOL! No skewed choices here.

eriktheblu
November 24th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm on salary. I get paid the same if I work 1 hour a week or 100.

I like time off, but I have stuff that I need to do. Most of the time I can work out of the house with minimal reduction in efficiency (everything is web based).

markp1989
November 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
It depends on the person , you see the type who are always "ill" on a monday due to hang overs, if they told me they had car trouble im not likely to believe them, other people i know never have a day off, so if they had problems im more likely to believe it, I have only ever had 1 day off of work and that was for a funeral, thats the only time in about 5 years I have had to take a day off without more than 1 months notice

I like the remote desktop service your company offer, not all jobs can use that, its a nice idea to still keep people productive.

frup
November 25th, 2010, 12:28 AM
I'm on salary and I don't get paid overtime, I get TOIL from 4 hours over time.

I regularly work 3 - 5 hours per week overtime... I don't get much TOIL for that and I never get it the other way around.

I really do hate taking days off and feel guilty when I'm sick, but the reality is that often who I work for is getting more from me than I get back.

MaindotC
November 25th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I'm on salary. I get paid the same if I work 1 hour a week or 100.

I'm salaried too but I can't just pick whatever hours I want to work. Work is very flexible and understanding but I try not to make a habit out of it.

I'm on salary and I don't get paid overtime, I get TOIL from 4 hours over time.

I regularly work 3 - 5 hours per week overtime... I don't get much TOIL for that and I never get it the other way around.

I really do hate taking days off and feel guilty when I'm sick, but the reality is that often who I work for is getting more from me than I get back.

I am salaried but I'm non-exempt so I get paid OT. Luckily where I work there is always OT available so I can pick up some extra dough when I need to.

themarker0
November 25th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I hate it. I only work temp. and parttime, so if i miss it, i'm replaceable. So i never do. I missed it once, and once only, and i lost 4 shifts later on...

dondiego2
November 25th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I hate it only because I was let go at the end of February from my engineering job and it is very frustrating that it has been 9 months now that I cannot find a job. Despite have a BS in Chemical Engineering and about halfway through a masters in engineering.

Anduu
November 25th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I am in the construction biz and have been sitting at home since last Friday.

The weather here has been absolutely miserable for the last week.Temps in the -20's Celcius with snow and high wind chills so outdoor work has been sparse at best.

I think I'm gonna go bonkers...thank god the weather started improving yesterday...should be back to work tomorrow..

toupeiro
November 25th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I worked from home Monday and half of tuesday, ironically, because of car problems, and it bugged me. I love my job, but I never shy away from some R&R. I was off at 2:00PM today and I'm out until Tuesday of next week. Gotta love that!