PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 Nvidia Drive help!!! o.O

Sobster
November 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I just install Ubuntu 10.10 to a external hard drive on my laptop.

It was a pain, but after messing with it all night i finally got it. We im having a problem updating my Nvidia drivers. Everytime i go to System > Administration > Additional Drivers, and try to active the one it says is recomended, it fails right at the end. But now all of a sudden, its activated.

So now i went to System > Administration > Nvidia X server settings, i get this error message saying,

"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."\

Dose anyone know how i may fix this problem. I am some what new to Linux and ubuntu, i wouldnt say i was a green, but i do have a basic understand of it, and i want to learn all i can.

Windows is starting to make me angry >.< i might just go full Ubuntu ](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

skillet-thief
November 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."\

This means that you have to open up a terminal and type in the command, like this:

$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

"sudo" means that the command will be run as root.

Sobster
November 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
cool, worked.

Thank you for the help and fast reply:KS

I guess i need to read up on my terminal skills

skillet-thief
November 24th, 2010, 09:55 PM
You will learn to love the terminal.

Sobster
November 24th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Lol indeed. Have any good fourm post or guides on Terminal 101 :D