PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Manager Control

SailingCyclops
November 24th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hi:

Currently running:10.04 LTS -- 32 bit 2.6.32-26-generic-pae #47-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 17 16:14:46 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

I am on a limited bandwidth connection. When Update Manager automatically discovers new updates it automatically downloads the updates. This is a problem sometimes. If I am streaming some video at the time Update Manager is soaking the entire connection.

I would like to setup Update manager to tell me there are updates, and then allow me to decide WHEN they are downloaded. Ideally, Update manager would tell me updates are available, and then at a time convenient to me I could invoke it and tell it to download and install.

How can I override the automatic downloading of updates, and make this function more manual?

Frogs Hair
November 24th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Open update manager , go into settings tab and select notify only.

SailingCyclops
November 24th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Open update manager , go into settings tab and select notify only.

Thanks! That was too damn simple. Here I was looking for an ETC file to edit. Us old farts are having a hard time with this GUI stuff :p

It's great! It's nice. It's fast. But it's so non-intuitive for someone who is used to making all changes with VI.

Thanks again!

sikander3786
November 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
It's great! It's nice. It's fast. But it's so non-intuitive for someone who is used to making all changes with VI.

It is intended to make life easier :P And you know most of the people switching from proprietary Operating Systems....

And you don't need to make any changes using VI or run scripts to mark this thread Solved. You can do that from Thread Tools near the top of this page :-)

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

SailingCyclops
November 24th, 2010, 09:38 PM
It is intended to make life easier :P And you know most of the people switching from proprietary Operating Systems....

And you don't need to make any changes using VI or run scripts to mark this thread Solved. You can do that from Thread Tools near the top of this page :-)

Happy Ubuntu-ing!

Thanks! Just don't take away my procmail my NN, or my ELM (had to compile ELM from source; not in Synaptic :o) and I will stay very happy :p

I will close this thread.