PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terminal in Nautilus

mehta_april
November 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM
How to embed GNOME-TERMINAL(ICON) in Nautilus..?
Further, that must open terminal in the current-directory(when clicked), same directory as the nautilus do !

How to achieve this..?

BcRich
November 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM
hi
if i understand your question, are you asking how to open the terminal from nautilus with terminal pointing to the current directory?
if that is what you'd like to achieve there is a useful system config tool called ubuntu tweak http://ubuntu-tweak.com/
if you install ubuntu tweak
(inside ubuntu tweak) under system > nautilus > and check Nautilus with Open Terminal
(NB this is ubuntu tweak 0.4.8)
then when you right click in any directory in Nautilus in the menu will be an option that says "Open in Terminal"

kaustavdm
November 24th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I use the same thing as suggested by BcRich and it is very helpful :D

Just FYI, I use Ubuntu Tweak 0.5.7 and the same options are named a bit differently. In Ubuntu Tweak, it is now in System > Nautilus Settings > Nautilus Extensions > Open folder in terminal.

mikewhatever
November 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
You'd probably need to develop skills and write your own or modify the existing nautilus plugin. The plugin is called nautilus-open-terminal and it's in the repositories.
Funny people think it's an Ubuntu Tweak feature.;)

stinkeye
November 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
There is also Nautilus Terminal which embeds a terminal in nautilus.
F7 to toggle on/off.
Nautilus Terminal (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/nautilus-terminal-gui-meets-cli/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg%21+Ubuntu%21%29) <---How to install.

kaustavdm
November 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
You'd probably need to develop skills and write your own or modify the existing nautilus plugin. The plugin is called nautilus-open-terminal and it's in the repositories.
I never did for once think it to be a Ubuntu Tweak feature. The reason I suggested/supported it was for the easy interface Ubuntu Tweak features to enable some Nautilus scripts.

kaustavdm
November 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
I never did for once think it to be a Ubuntu Tweak feature. The reason I suggested/supported it was for the easy interface Ubuntu Tweak features to enable some Nautilus scripts.

stinkeye
November 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM

But you did reply twice. ;)

kaustavdm
November 24th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Lol. My connection had timed out and I had accidentally refreshed the page and resubmitted the form :-D

Still I hold that I had not thought of it even once :p

Btw, F7 toggle is not working on my desktop. If not, what am I missing?

stinkeye
November 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
You should be able to choose Embed Terminal from the view menu.

If you installed as from my previous post(I've edited to make clearer) and no menu item try
in the terminal
pkill nautilus
and reopen nautilus.

kaustavdm
November 24th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks! It's better than opening a folder separately in Terminal :)

stinkeye
November 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks! It's better than opening a folder separately in Terminal :)
Ahh, you got it.
Yeah for some things it's good to have a terminal open for the directory your
in rather than opening a terminal and cd-ing.

...and if I've told you once, I've told you twice............. :p

kaustavdm
November 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
..but you wrote it once :p lol
Enjoying the freedom from cd-ing :D