PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Firmware missing with new MPCI wireless card.

Tiz_earth
November 24th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Before I begin, I'm going to tell you what it is I'm up to.

I've just put in a wireless MPCI card from a newer, junked HP Pavillion laptop into my 2002 HP Omnibook xe4400s. The antenna came from a Gateway 400vtx junker, and is thrown in along the edge of the case where it can't be a nuisance.

I cannot currently send Internets through a series of tubes with this device. When I click my top-bar network icon (as I would to select the wireless network to which I would like to connect) it tells me under Wireless Networks, "device not ready (firmware missing)"

So I run this, so nobody tells me to later:
lspci -v | less
...and the result:

00:09 Network Controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
Memory at e0004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: ssb

Also, I tried booting from CD to see if the drivers just happened to have been left out or something when I installed Ubuntu.

What, forums, can I do about this? I'm using 10.10 Maverick.

Not urgent or anything, but I figured it has to be less of a nuisance and faster than my USB Wifi card (which is stupidly faster than USB transfer rate)

Fafler
November 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM
The Additional Drivers wizard should be able to install it, but personally i don't find the broadcom cards worth messing around with. Get a Intel 5100 instead.

pawhtiobo
November 24th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You can always try the ndiswrapper to see if works.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper

See ya...

Tiz_earth
November 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM
The Additional Drivers wizard should be able to install it, but personally i don't find the broadcom cards worth messing around with. Get a Intel 5100 instead.

The point is not to spend money. If it ends up being a complete piece of junk, I'll eventually get another junk laptop that wasn't stripped of its goodies. If I end up buying one, though, Intel 5100 is the one I'll get. Thanks!

Fafler
November 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Dude, it's $12 on eBay. You get 150 mbit instead of 54. It will connect to any accesspoint, not just those it feels like. And it works properly with the opensource drivers already included.

Tiz_earth
November 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Dude, it's $12 on eBay. You get 150 mbit instead of 54. It will connect to any accesspoint, not just those it feels like. And it works properly with the opensource drivers already included.

Well I'll see about buying it then, later, when this one leads me wrong.

Tiz_earth
November 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Looks like I got it running. I used the, "Additional drivers," feature under System > Administration and it recommended that I install the driver for it. It works fine now.