PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Folders total space, date of deletion and undo

castro1
November 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Three newbie questions I have: 1) How to view how much total space folders take? It doesn't seem to be possible to see that in Nautilus, but I would like to see the space each folder and its subfolders is taking. 2) How to know date I file was deleted? When I open the trash, there is no "date delete" column there. 3) Also: differently from Windows, there is no CTRL+Z to undo deletions, copies and other files operations in Nautilus. Any workarounds? I appreciate your help.

tom4everitt
November 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Three newbie questions I have: 1) How to view how much total space folders take? It doesn't seem to be possible to see that in Nautilus, but I would like to see the space each folder and its subfolders is taking.

Are you familiar with the terminal :) It is a really useful little tool, beloved by pretty much all linux geeks I dare say. Here's a short intro, there's a lot more out there if you google.
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/command_line_intro

From the terminal it is easy to determine the size of a directory with the 'du' command (du for disk usage). You use it like this:

du -sh name-of-folder

and you get the size of the folder in return.

Second option, that I know of, is the Disk Usage Analyzer, found in Applications -> Accessories.

2) How to know date I file was deleted? When I open the trash, there is no "date delete" column there.
3) Also: differently from Windows, there is no CTRL+Z to undo deletions, copies and other files operations in Nautilus. Any workarounds? I appreciate your help.

I don't have much useful info on this. Nautilus Elementary could possibly feature some of the things you're looking for. Otherwise you may have better luck with KDE; but KDE is a completely different desktop environment, with all what that means...

castro1
November 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Oh, Disk Usage Analyzer is awesome. Thanks. I assume, then, that this is not an embedded feature in Nautilus nor any other better Explorer-like program.

tom4everitt
November 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I actually just tried Nautilus Elementary (which I think will replace Nautilus eventually), and it actually has that feature (and a lot of other useful improvements, such as Undo, for example).

Installation instructions here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/nautilus-elementary-simplified-nautilus.html

With Nautilus Elementary, just right click on a folder, choose Properties, and it will tell you it's total size.

SecretCode
November 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Oh, Disk Usage Analyzer is awesome. Thanks. I assume, then, that this is not an embedded feature in Nautilus nor any other better Explorer-like program.

Disk Usage Analyzer is a separate program, but you can call it from Nautilus if you install nautilus-actions (and configure it via System > Preferences > Nautilus Actions Configuration).