PDA

View Full Version : ᎤᏂᎳᏛ ᎤᏓᏴᎳᏛᎢ ᎪᏢᎯᏐᏗ ᏚᎾᏓᏡᎬ

neu5eeCh
November 24th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Recognize the language?

So... I've got a little mystery on my hands. Every time I search Google using my Googlebar, the results show up in the foreign language seen above. It took me about half an hour to sleuth which language I was reading (which is really cool) but what the heck? I can't, for the life of me, figure out why Google thinks I can read this language (though I've always wanted to). Where is the setting? Any ideas?

CharlesA
November 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Looks like Russian to me.

czr114
November 24th, 2010, 04:44 AM
It's not Russian nor any other Cyrillic (modern or old) language.

It appears to be Cherokee:

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/5042/google-what-language-is-chr-and-why-is-my-homepage-set-there

CharlesA
November 24th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the info czr114. :)

Quadunit404
November 24th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Actually, it's Cherokee. I bothered to look it up and that's what they (the searches) told me.

neu5eeCh
November 24th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Russian. That was my first thought too. Support for Cherokee is apparently built into Linux. Pretty cool. I didn't even know that Cherokee had an alphabet like this.

Now I want to learn it...

kaldor
November 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Russian looks *nothing* like that...

Привет! Харашо!

neu5eeCh
November 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Yes it does, but only superficially & at first glance.

Look here (http://chr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%8F%93%E1%8F%8E%E1%8F%98#.E1.8E.BE.E1.8F.8D.E1. 8E.A9.E1.8F.AF.E1.8E.A2_.E1.8E.AD.E1.8F.AB.E1.8E.B E.E1.8F.97.E1.8F.A2_.E1.8F.93.E1.8F.8E.E1.8F.98) if you want to see Cherokee in all its glory.

CharlesA
November 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM

Привет! Харашо!

I see that now. :)

kaldor
November 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Cherokee is odd...

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cherokee.htm

Cool though.

czr114
November 24th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Okay, now I'm seeing a weird text effect in this very thread in Firefox 3.6.12 (64-bit) Ubuntu official.

kaldor's post shows привет rendered properly (1), as does the underlying source of CharlesA's quote (3), but it is being misrendered in the rendered version of CharlesA's quote (2).

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?

kaldor
November 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM
That's not a cyrillic problem. Cyrillic looks oddly different when in Italics. Much like Russian handwriting.

http://freestylelanguage.com/files/russian-alphabet.jpg

Match the letters up :)

Note in cursive/italics, the "И" is like a "U", and the "T" is like an "M"

czr114
November 24th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

kaldor
November 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

It's confusing as all hell to a foreigner though.

The backwards "N" is pronounced like an "i" but in cursive it's "u" :)

Quadunit404
November 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM
And Ef looks like a demented O with a line going through it both in normal and cursive writing :wink:

neu5eeCh
November 24th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I'm almost disappointed this was solved so quickly.

I guess there's an aptitude for Google searching. I think I'm a C-/D+ Googler.

czr114
November 24th, 2010, 05:50 AM
It's confusing as all hell to a foreigner though.

The backwards "N" is pronounced like an "i" but in cursive it's "u" :)

Or those trying to learn. I have that chart handy, now.

When I first saw that, I was wondering if VB/PHP had another mb screwup, then I saw the source and didn't know what to make of it.

santosh83
November 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Okay, now I'm seeing a weird text effect in this very thread in Firefox 3.6.12 (64-bit) Ubuntu official.

kaldor's post shows привет rendered properly (1), as does the underlying source of CharlesA's quote (3), but it is being misrendered in the rendered version of CharlesA's quote (2).

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here?

It's rendered faithfully here, and my system is also Firefox 3.6.12 (x64) on Ubuntu 10.10. Maybe it's a font issue...?

grahammechanical
November 24th, 2010, 02:34 PM
The Russian alphabet was designed by a Greek. It is named after him (Cyril). What I find strange is the way some Russian letters correspond to the Greek letters but other letters do not.

The Greek H represents a long e sound (eta) but in Russian it represents the n sound. I can understand how the Greek S becomes a C in Russian. Check out the shape of the Greek S when it is written at the end of a word. The Russians kept the S sound but the English changed the sound to C when they changed the S to C in the alphabet.

Regards.

3Miro
November 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
The Russian alphabet was designed by a Greek. It is named after him (Cyril). What I find strange is the way some Russian letters correspond to the Greek letters but other letters do not.

The Greek H represents a long e sound (eta) but in Russian it represents the n sound. I can understand how the Greek S becomes a C in Russian. Check out the shape of the Greek S when it is written at the end of a word. The Russians kept the S sound but the English changed the sound to C when they changed the S to C in the alphabet.

Regards.

Cyril was born and educated in the Byzantine empire, however, there is a good chance that his mother was Slavic and hence his knowledge of the language as well as his work to create a Slavic alphabet.

The alphabet created by Cyril was the Glagolic alphabet, which was a complete copy of the Greek one in every way, except the was characters were drawn. The Glagolic characters looked a lot like glyphs that contained deep religious meaning. At that time, Christianity was preached and allowed to be preached only in Latin, Greek and Hebrew, hence Cyril had to do some tip-toeing around the religious authorities and avoid the label of "heresy". As a result of that, the Glagolic alphabet is horribly impractical.

The modern version of the Cyrilic alphabet was created by his disciple Clement of Ohrid and it is something that can actually be practical. There are disputes on how much Clement's alphabet has anything to do with the Greek or Glagolic one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Cyril_and_Methodius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_of_Ohrid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glagolica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic

As for the Cherokee alphabet, it doesn't render for me (hence I know it is not Cyrillic). I have never before heard of Cherokee alphabet (which actually doesn't mean anything), but it is possible that it is a modern invention (i.e. something create din the 19th or 20th century by scholars for a language that up until this point was only spoken), then again, maybe it is genuine. Cherokee looks like a mixture of Latin, Greek and Cyrillic as well as symbols that I have never seen.

_outlawed_
November 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM

This is Russian, form of your sentence:

Похоже, Россию для меня.

:P

Penguin=)
November 24th, 2010, 06:30 PM
No its not Russian.

I don't know why Google is playing up like that, maybe you switched a setting?

PhilGil
November 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
it is possible that it is a modern invention (i.e. something create din the 19th or 20th century by scholars for a language that up until this point was only spoken), then again, maybe it is genuine. Cherokee looks like a mixture of Latin, Greek and Cyrillic as well as symbols that I have never seen.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Native American languages were written, so the Cherokee alphabet was definitely a later invention. However, trying to determine whether a writing system is "genuine" is clearly impossible.

Unless you are writing in ancient Greek or Latin, no language written using Greek or Roman characters uses a "genuine" alphabet, by your definition. Not even written Greek or Latin is "genuine", actually, as their alphabets are adaptations of still earlier alphabets.

To the OP... It's an interesting bug, but I've got nothing. Sorry.

3Miro
November 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM
To the best of my knowledge, none of the Native American languages were written, so the Cherokee alphabet was definitely a later invention. However, trying to determine whether a writing system is "genuine" is clearly impossible.

Unless you are writing in ancient Greek or Latin, no language written using Greek or Roman characters uses a "genuine" alphabet, by your definition. Not even written Greek or Latin is "genuine", actually, as their alphabets are adaptations of still earlier alphabets.

When I mean genuine alphabet, I meant something not taken from the Europeans, since there was no connection between the continents, a Cherokee alphabet will be at least genuine Native American, if not necessarily genuine Cherokee.

From what I read, it seems that the Inca were the only one in America with native alphabet, but they were in South America.

Another question I guess is whether the Cherokee people took the European alphabets to make one of their own or did European scholars made the alphabet so that they can study Cherokee culture.

Untitled_No4
November 24th, 2010, 09:40 PM
If you're looking for a solution in addition to the discussion, I had the same problem a while ago and what I read was that the history of Firefox needs to be cleared.
I had a backup copy of my ~/.mozilla folder so I just reverted to that one since I didn't want to lose all my history.
I also use Xmarks, which is quite useful when you want to to backup your bookmarks and history.

reyfer
November 25th, 2010, 05:49 AM
The Cherokee Syllabary was invented by a Cherokee Nation member named Sequoyah in the 19th century http://www.manataka.org/page81.html

Penguin=)
November 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah definetly NOT Russian, its Cherokee.

Here i found some information on it: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cherokee.htm

I still can't belive it's spoken by about 22,500 people in South Iroquoian.

Wierd huh?

neu5eeCh
November 27th, 2010, 01:59 AM
What's weirder (or maybe not) is that Google provides its pages in Cherokee but doesn't offer a translator. The first thing I did when trying to recognize the language was to try out Google Translator. No satisfaction there.

It's great to see the language on the web, though.

Lightstar
November 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Oooooohhhhhh hey I had the same thing!
I spent about a hour trying to ᏚᎾᏓᏡᎬ that puzzle.

I thought it looked really cool though. I would keep it :P

neu5eeCh
November 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Oooooohhhhhh hey I had the same thing!
I spent about a hour trying to ᏚᎾᏓᏡᎬ that puzzle.

I thought it looked really cool though. I would keep it :P

In truth, now that I know what it is, I haven't. :D

frischi
April 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
If your looking for a solution without having to delete your history the wholes thing is explained here http://mart-e.be/post/bug-google-cherokee-firefox.

If you don't understand French:

It seems to be a bug related to firefox sync you can fix it by changing the language in firefox Preferences -> Content -> Language

pi3.1415926535...
April 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Google Translate says that it is Hawaiin, which is not supported by Google Translate.

Quadunit404
April 14th, 2011, 09:38 PM
And that makes no sense because Hawaiian is based on the Latin alphabet. This is the Cherokee alphabet.

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Привет! Харашо!

Who is Harashi?

Quadunit404
April 15th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Харашо (Kharasho) = well

Btw, it should be Хорошо, not Харашо :P (No, I'm not Russian)

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Харашо (Kharasho) = well

Btw, it should be Хорошо, not Харашо :P (No, I'm not Russian)

Lol. You're not Russian; you just saw the same thing I did on Google Translate. ;)