PDA

View Full Version : Free vs. Non-Free codecs

therunnyman
April 20th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on teevee (and in jail)...

Let's start with MP3. The hubub wasn't about whether ot not you could listen to or modify an MP3 - that has always been perfectly legal - it was about the Record Industry's paranoia, and that's it. The only time you'd have to pay a royalty to MPEG or Fraunhofer (Fraunhofer invented the codec, MPEG adopted, over MiniDisc's codec, even) if you intended to encode something to MP3 for public broadcast (MP3's initial purpose). Nowadays, most CD-R software pays that royalty for you, so no worries.

You may always copy a CD: consider it "backup." The standard for audio CDs doesn't include any copy protection, so if someone places copy protection on a CD, they can't put that little "CD" icon on the disc. Of course, there have been attempts to protect CDs, but they're generally cracked the the minute they come out. If someone came at you, you have an excellent counterclaim.

Sharing MP3s of copyrighted work using whatever - Limewire - is illegal, but, as with anything, there are degrees of illegality. In this instance, we'll go with "petty crime," akin to urination in public. The RIAA (the litigating arm of the Record Industry, among other things) tried to make examples out of various people, ending up making asses of themselves. Remember the single mother who was sued for a couple million because her daughter had downloaded some MP3s? Or Metallica's suit against its fans? Now bring in iTunes and Napster; I believe the litigation is over. If not, here's a handy tip:

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."

If you can figure a way to include MP3 in your livelihood, they have to leave you alone. My own war with the RIAA bore that out.

A lot of people mistake "Fair Use" as something protecting you from a lawsuit. That's not the case. The "fair use" doctrine is something you can summon to your defense in court, not something precluding litigation.

DVDs are the most fascinating item on the scene right now in that on the one hand, you've got a famous precedent stating anything with "substantial non-infringing uses" can stay on the market (P2P falls in this category according to my interpretation [it hasn't been decided yet]), and on the other, the DMCA, which every major corporate tyrant is trying to retrofit such that it's illegal to duplicate anything, or at least illegal to crack copy protection. We haven't seen this go through the courts yet, but as it stands, a duplicate DVD is sort of like having a joint in your house: you cracked CSS, and made a copy, for archival purposes. You're protecting your investment. No DDA worth his or her salt in the USA will prosecute this offense, not a chance.

Even if a search warrant is executed, they're not going to add "copyright infringement" to the list of charges. If they do, it'll either be thrown out or, if it ends up prosecuted, the judge will frown, and the jury will certainly let you go.

Trouble can come if you run a racket, selling copied DVDs. In order to be prosecuted for this crime, you have to have profited more than $1000 USD. Have fun proving that, DDA. In addition, if you invoke the "back off man, I'm a scientist," defense, you can always say, "hey, I need to test these DVDs in a host of different machines, for QA."

CSS, yes, you do need a license to encrypt your data. But I don't imagine many of you are encrypting your DVDs with CSS (or you have a better scheme).

You also need a licence to read CSS encrypted data, that is, to play a DVD on your computer. Nab one, and enjoy yourself; I encourage this. No police or federal agent will know, and if they do know, they won't say. That's an illegal tap, if one exists, and they're not going to blow thier undercover work over an MPEG-2 software decoder. Imagine the headlines: Single Mom Tapped.

therunnyman

OffHand
April 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I don't want to sound like an *** but what exactly is your point?

meborc
April 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
i guess the point he's trying to say is that we could as well include mp3 and dvd encryption out-of-box...

if you have any legal (i mean like written law) stuff to support it... MY GOD MAN - MAIL CANONICAL... :grin:

htinn
April 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I think this whole discussion belong on Groklaw (or Ubuntu Cafe at least).

meborc
April 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I think this whole discussion belong on Groklaw (or Ubuntu Cafe at least).
yeah... already reported...

Lovechild
April 20th, 2006, 03:52 PM
You cannot make a case for violating the DMCA, people have been tried and convicted doing exactly what you propose.

The only solution is to get the DMCA repelled and completely remove the software patent laws.

aysiu
April 20th, 2006, 04:11 PM
i guess the point he's trying to say is that we could as well include mp3 and dvd encryption out-of-box... Except that Canonical leaves MP3 out not just because of legal reasons but also because of philosophical reasons--MP3 is not a Free format; it's proprietary.

therunnyman
April 20th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Nobody asked the guy who wrote Psalms what his point was...why you gotta come at me?

I jest. One too many martinis inspired that. One could say it's a kind of Da Vinci Code for geeks.

Point was to remove fear from people new to rippping and burning. In its former home, this thread was intended to help people new to [technically] breaking the law feel better. About five threads reflected that fear.

So there's that.

But now, Lovechild says:

"You cannot make a case for violating the DMCA, people have been tried and convicted doing exactly what you propose.

The only solution is to get the DMCA repelled and completely remove the software patent laws."

What? Who got tried and convicted for what? Could you refer me to the decision? If they're going after individuals, I might get stinking mad.

True and true: MP3 and CSS have "owners," and can't go in Canonical. I mean, you could you could make the "backup" argument - tried and true item in jurisprudence - but you'd still have to deal with companies and organizations for licensing fees.

mostwanted
April 20th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Except that Canonical leaves MP3 out not just because of legal reasons but also because of philosophical reasons--MP3 is not a Free format; it's proprietary.

Exactly. The Ubuntu philosophy of openness and freedom isn't just a win for users. Over time, users are expected to gain a more free mindset, to prefer open and free solutions rather than just the hipness of open source.

frühstück
April 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
You may always copy a CD

Depends on where you live. There are Ubuntu users in probably more than 100 different legal systems, so most People dont care what you US-centric yanks write about your DMCA and stuff. Do you people realize, the DMCA does not touch ubuntu in any way?

In Germany you may not copy a CD if there is a copy protection on the CD, even if the protection is useless. In Switzerland you may copy anything as long as you do it for private use.