PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Choice of printer

Holonet
November 24th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experiences to share about printers. I'd like one that works well with Ubuntu, but that's almost back-burner to just the quality of the printer.

I've had some bad experiences...one with a Canon, which I found happened to be the one printer with a known issue with recognizing a cartridge...unfixable. And the one I have now is an Epson CX9400F, which I have refillable cartridges for. It was ok for a while...never great. The cartridges work fine, but even before those, and now acutely, the printer head is sort of effed.

I've seen some nice HP printers...noticed a few universities get those. Anyway...to the point.

What I'm looking for is a nice printer (without getting carried away over $500 and such) which lends itself well to one of the refillable cartridges sold out there and, of course, has no glaring issues in Linux. All-in-ones are fine (that's what I have now) but not necessary to me if it fits those criteria well. Thoughts?

lyall
November 24th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Have you looked a laserjet printers?

they are cheaper in the long run to use, prices are down now

I like the Lexmark the best, because we use them at where I work.
We have little problems with them. We had the Lexmark T630s series and had over 400,000 print outs and they still were working when we replaced them. we are on a 5 year replacement cycle. We are now using the T640s printer with duplexing and two additional 500 sheets trays for over two years now. Some have over 250,000 print outs on them and we are starting to replace the fuser in them. We have over 100 of these units. We also have the Lexmark color laserjets the C534dn and the C544dn over 25 of them. I have at this time replaced only 2 sets of the photo-conductors in them and both of them had over 250,000 print outs in the last two years.

I checked the drivers for Lexmark on Ubuntu and you have a good choice of drivers here.

I checked Lexmark site and the C543dn is on sale for $299, that is cheaper than what we brought our for.

We did have HP laser printers and we had more service them more than we do the Lexmarks

when buy any printer always buy and office printer or better, not ones for home use. They are lightly duty and will cost you more down the road.

good luck and have fun learning

deanjm1963
November 24th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Pretty much anything from HP would be a good asset. Ubuntu has HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging Printing) installed by default. The site http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html has a complete list of compatible printers, etc., and which versions of HPLIP are supported.

Hope this helps.

IcarusR
November 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
If you are going to use third party cartridge refill ink I would recommend a cheap printer. You have learnt the expensive way that it can destroy print heads.
Cheap ink tends to not have so much of the lubricants in it. The ink is forced under pressure through the print head & without sufficient lubrication it eventually clogs the head up.

As an ex pc engineer I used to see a lot of problems with third party ink cartridges.

I guess some folks will disagree with this, but is my opinion.

Holonet
November 25th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Regarding laserjet, I haven't looked much into those... Perhaps things have changed over the years, but I was under the impression that that would be a hefty price burden...particularly color ones...and the cartridges can run like a hundred dollars or so? I'm not positive of that, but I'll peek around.

As for the 3rd party cartridges, I have indeed heard that they hurt print heads and have all sorts of disadvantages, but I have only heard these points from the people that make the printers or those who work for the same. These arguments, I am not particularly shocked at O:) (not saying this to you, IcarusR, I appreciate candid advice, just saying in general). However, like I said, the printer head was starting to have apparent problems prior to my use of the cartridges. In my particular case, I would find it hard to believe that the continued degradation would have been noticeably better with Epson cartridges. In addition...I don't mind paying reasonably for a quality product, but printer cartridges, particularly Epson, are just insane. Even with the use I got out of it thus far, I could have bought the printer several times over with the money saved on ink. The cartridges are deliberately marketed as money-makers since they are a continual purchase, not one-time like the printers, and I find that bitterly objectionable lol.

But anyhoo, bottom line, even if they do break printer heads, the pricing of brand cartridges is so criminal that it still saves money. A new printer is cheaper :p