PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GNOME "Places" and Shotwell intertwined error

jsg24
November 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hello.

I am having a big problem.

I am using Ubuntu 10.10 on a Samsung NC10 netbook.

I used Shotwell to upload pictures to a new album on Facebook.
Now, even if I restart the computer, I can not solve this problem.

In the upper menu under "Places":
"Home Folder", "Desktop", "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", "Videos" and "Downloads"

When I click on these thing it starts Shotwell photo manager.

If I click on "Computer", I can navigate to where I want to go.
However.

I've used Update Manager to update my system to the very latest.
I've turned Compiz off completely.
I've deleted all the pictures I could find in Shotwell. (No idea if that made any difference, but I'm getting desperate.)
And I've restarted the computer many times.

Nothing has worked.

Can someone please help me fix this problem.
I would also like to know if I am the only one with this issue?

Thank you so much for reading.
Best Regards,
jsg24

Frogs Hair
November 24th, 2010, 02:28 AM
If you can open your file browser from the computer icon , Right click the folders within home and select open with another application . When the menu appears select file browser and check remember this application.

jsg24
November 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
If you can open your file browser from the computer icon , Right click the folders within home and select open with another application . When the menu appears select file browser and check remember this application.

Hey, that worked!

Thanks so much.

OooBuntuRox
November 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks. Your suggestion above helped my problem error message too. See the text listed below or at the hyper-link below:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1631674&highlight=shotwell

Re: 10.10 Documentation: F-Shot not Shotwell?

SHOTWELL ERROR MESSAGE THAT I WAS GETTING:

After using shotwell for images, I've been getting a file error message when I try to browse files using PLACES on the panel. The error message lists the path/ folder you attempt to access with the message: /home/username/Documents is not a file. The message is inside a small window that says shotwell in the upper left. So, I figure it is related to the shotwell program. I removed the shotwell software, shutdown, reboot, then browsed Places again. The error message did not pop up.

I shutdown, reboot, and reinstalled shotwell. Upon browsing places on the desktop panel, the error message returned. Oddly, I am able to successfully use "search files" on the places menu.

THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM IS IN THE ABOVE QUOTE. THANK YOU.

Thanks, OoobuntuRox

sprintexec
April 28th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip Frogs Hair, it worked for me as well, AJ. :)