PDA

View Full Version : What 'breaking news' in Open Source affected you the most since moving to Linux?

samalex
November 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hey guys..

It seems the world of Open Source Software is always in flux, especially with so many open source friendly companies being eaten-up by not so FOSS-friendly giants.

So just curious, what news in the world of Open Source shook you the most since you moved to Linux? For me I settled into Red Hat early on (around 1996 or 1997) and used it exclusively until 2003 when Red Hat dropped Red Hat Linux after version 9 and moved to the Enterprise model. I remember reading this on SlashDot and getting that feeling in my stomach almost as if a friend had just died. Red Hat was all I knew, and it was some time before they finally announced Project Fedora (which I didn't care for in those early days).

I believe that same year another piece of news was the SCO lawsuit and the FUD that followed. I remember trying to suggest Linux-based applications for years after that to have them shot down due to the corporate uncertainty caused by the SCO lawsuit. I really think that lawsuit pushed Linux back a number of years due to CIO's and CEO's reading the negative press about Linux due to this.

Unrelated per say to FOSS was G4 taking over TechTV in 2004 and firing most of the hosts and dropping most of the shows. The gaming shows were the ones I didn't care for, but that's what G4/TechTV turned into exclusively. The guys on there loved Open Source and were always eager to show off what FOSS had to offer. I even remember the FreeBSD vs Linux episodes on The Screensavers. Luckily Leo Laporte has recreated most of what we loved about ZDTV/TechTV on the TWiT Network.

And finally for me personally Sun's demise was a huge hit since Sun had been a company I really looked up to for many years. The thought of Larry Ellison having control of all the projects Sun oversaw really turns my stomach. And now with Novell going down a similar path I can't help but think this might be a trend. Who's next, Red Hat?

Sam

linuxforartists
November 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Like you mentioned, Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems threw a lot of open-source projects into uncertainty, for example Solaris and OpenOffice. So far, VirtualBox is the only one seemed to come out of it unscathed. I still wonder what will happen with MySQL, since so many websites depend on it.

madjr
November 24th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Like you mentioned, Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems threw a lot of open-source projects into uncertainty, for example Solaris and OpenOffice. So far, VirtualBox is the only one seemed to come out of it unscathed. I still wonder what will happen with MySQL, since so many websites depend on it.

there is mariadb just in case:

http://freekko.blogspot.com/2010/11/mysql-alternative-mariadb.html

Spice Weasel
November 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
KDE4... probably, it was a big change. I never really liked a desktop environment again (besides Xfce, but that was just for the programs that were part of it - I didn't like the interface at all). Used window managers ever since.

Another one was the kernel version changes, so confusing. :p

Oracle's takeover of Sun hit me pretty hard too, I can't remember what the computing world was like before Sun.

godhika
November 24th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Ubuntu switching the window controls to the left - sorry, couldn't resist.

czr114
November 24th, 2010, 03:16 AM
The SCO saga was more groundbreaking than anything else. I'm glad that issue is now dead and buried, although I do fear that somebody else will resurrect the concept and apply it to a new controversy.

SCO did more damage to FOSS progress than anything else, including moving those buttons to the blasted left hand side.

Dr. C
November 24th, 2010, 03:23 AM
GPL v3 without a doubt for me. Why because it protects GNU / Linux, and a host of other Free Software projects from the evils of DRM. The anti DRM provisions of GPL v3 is an advance in Free Software licensing second only to the invention of copyleft.

Dustin2128
November 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
GPL v3 without a doubt for me. Why because it protects GNU / Linux, and a host of other Free Software projects from the evils of DRM. The anti DRM provisions of GPL v3 is an advance in Free Software licensing second only to the invention of copyleft.
No, it doesn't. The linux kernel is under GPLv2, for some reason Torvalds is fine with tivoization. Anyway, probably the biggest negative would be oracle's acquisition of sun, most positive wouldn't really be news; but rather it's gotten much better. I remember a time when working wi-fi and printing were both rumors, now I use both daily.

Dr. C
November 24th, 2010, 07:56 AM
No, it doesn't. The linux kernel is under GPLv2, for some reason Torvalds is fine with tivoization. Anyway, probably the biggest negative would be oracle's acquisition of sun, most positive wouldn't really be news; but rather it's gotten much better. I remember a time when working wi-fi and printing were both rumors, now I use both daily.

GPL v3 protects GNU / Linux and not Linux from tivoization. One cannot tivoize Ubuntu without running into among other things the GNU tool chain, samba and all sorts of code added by Canonical under GPL v3.

cdude42
November 24th, 2010, 08:02 AM
For me it will be the fact that the Gnome Panels will be replaced by gnome3 or unity. The Panels are what brought me to ubuntu, and if theyre gone, Its like losing a friend.

handy
November 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
That Ubuntu is likely going rolling release!

I didn't see that one coming. :D

Oxwivi
November 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I just switched to Ubuntu this year (I wasn't aware of Linux desktop before), but was a fan of Sun regardless. I wish somehow Sun could break off anew with all it's projects.

forrestcupp
November 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM

+1

That's actually a pretty big deal to me. I like the idea of rolling release, but it completely changes the culture and dynamics of Ubuntu. I'm pretty interested to see how this pans out.

It's weird because it contradicts what Shuttleworth was saying not too long ago about trying to get everyone to change to similar release schedules. I didn't see this one coming, either.

samalex
November 24th, 2010, 03:18 PM

I just read this today, and yeah it's a huge one. I'm waiting to see what it details though.