PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VLC Package has disappeared

pauljam20
November 23rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
I had a problem with moving the panel, and in order to be able to move it I had to delete a couple of launchers. I have now lost VLC (Video LAN Converter), it is installed, but has gone from system/preferences/main menu so I can't start it or even put it on the menu or create a launcher. If I use Ubuntu Software Centre to un-install and re-install it it still doesn't appear.

jocko
November 23rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Can you start it from a terminal? (The command is "vlc")
If not, what error message do you get?

pauljam20
November 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Can you start it from a terminal? (The command is "vlc")
If not, what error message do you get?
Yes - works fine.

jocko
November 23rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
Ok, so it's only missing from the menu...
Not sure what's the "proper" way of restoring it, but you could probably fix it by copying the vlc.desktop file to your home directory's applications folder. Run this in a terminal:

cp /usr/share/applications/rhythmbox.desktop ~/.local/share/applicationsThat should bring it back to the menu.

Edit: The proper way seems to be to REMOVE any vlc.desktop and vlc.desktop.undo-X files in your /home/username/.local/share/applications folder, so this command should do it:

rm ~/.local/share/applications/vlc.deskto*

theSuperman
November 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
You can also right click on "Applications" in the taskbar and go to Edit Menus to add/enable/disable programs

jocko
November 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM
You can also right click on "Applications" in the taskbar and go to Edit Menus to add/enable/disable programs
He said in the first post that that did not work (the menu editor can be started from Systems-->preferences-->"Main Menu" or by right clicking anywhere on "Applications", "Places" or "System").

pauljam20
November 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM
@Jocko Your first command had no effect, but running your second command and de-installing VLC (can't remember the order I did it in) then reinstalling VLC works. A very quick and effective solution - thanks!

15 Dec: I have since had the same problem with Brasero, and this solution works for that as well - after adjusting the filename to match. Looks like it is a general solution to a common problem, well worth remembering.

pauljam20
November 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I would have preferred to sent this as a message but apparently I haven't go enough points. For non-Swedish speakers - it's just a compliment...

@Jocko
Ni läsa mitt budskap före besvara den. Ni kontaktade problemet logiskt. Ni bad mig att göra något. Ni förklarade hur det skall göras i enkla ordalag. Jag önskar alla experter kunde göra detta!

jocko
November 24th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I would have preferred to sent this as a message but apparently I haven't go enough points. For non-Swedish speakers - it's just a compliment...

@Jocko
Ni läsa mitt budskap före besvara den. Ni kontaktade problemet logiskt. Ni bad mig att göra något. Ni förklarade hur det skall göras i enkla ordalag. Jag önskar alla experter kunde göra detta!
Thanks. I'm no expert, but I like to try to help when I think I can...

nasul
November 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I saw that you've found a soution to the problem - the terminal installation.