PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless USB recommendation for 10.10

frankmoss
November 23rd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hi,

I have 10.04 now and had a lot of issues with my usb adapter and could not get it to work. Now, I consider upgrading to 10.10 and want to know if anybody has succeeded to successfully install USB driver for the wireless usb device. Last time I was trying some kind of CNet and Netgear with ndiswrapper and found on this forum out that those devices were not working for others either.

So, please write some words here which USB device did work for you on 10.10, 64bit.

Thanks.

cybergnome
November 24th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Wireless devices are not generic. That means they need drivers that are specifically for them. Linux development for USB wireless is lagging, and success, where it has occurred, usually involves using ndiswrapper with the proprietary Windows drivers.

Bucky Ball
November 24th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Wireless devices are not generic. That means they need drivers that are specifically for them. Linux development for USB wireless is lagging, and success, where it has occurred, usually involves using ndiswrapper with the proprietary Windows drivers.

Untrue, in part. They generally have the same chipset as the internal card. Realtek are generally fine, I use an Australian one called Open Networks (which you should be able to find on ebay); worked straight out of the box.

If a company is friendly (like Realtek and others) they will provide open source drivers for Linux (my Realtek laptop card worked immediately and doesn't need 'Additional Drivers' ('Hardware Drivers' in other releases)).

Broadcom is another that should work. The only reason many don't work 'out of the box' is that you need to get online with a cable, get your updates, then plug the dongle in while you are online with the cable. Proprietary drivers and firmware should be offered if available.

confused57
November 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM
This one has worked great in both 8.04 & 10.04:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-156-152&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Newegg occasionally drops the price to $9, may be worthwhile to check on Black Friday.

frankmoss
November 24th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Thank you for replies.

@confused57 have you tried getting it to work on 10.10?

@Bucky Ball does it also work on 10.10?

confused57
November 24th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thank you for replies.

@confused57 have you tried getting it to work on 10.10?

I'd recommend sticking with Ubuntu 10.04, IF everything is working well on your pc other than the USB wireless. Ubuntu 10.04 is an LTS and will receive security updates until 04/2013.

The Trendnet wireless USB worked out of the box(WPA2-psk) and I haven't had any problems with dropped connections(25 ft from the router through 2 plaster walls plus a freezer). Connections speeds are nearly as high as a wired internet.

It may take a few days, but I'll try downloading a 10.10 live cd & see if it works OK, if you really need to use the latest version.

Bucky Ball
November 24th, 2010, 04:18 PM

The Open Network USB dongle has a Realtek chipset and works out of the box with 8.04 which means it would work with 10.10. Realtek drivers seem to get better rather than disappear in the next release.

My laptop has a Realtek card, as mentioned earlier, which worked out of the box.

No additional drivers or firmware required for either. Maybe I was lucky but they have plenty of Linux drivers on the Realtek site if you're not. Should be easy to fix.

Identify what you have. What brand? You haven't mentioned exactly which USB dongle you have!

frankmoss
November 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I don't have any right now. I want to buy and thats why I am asking...

Bucky Ball
November 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-9300639326172081%3Ac6lzq8-dhwz&ie=UTF-8&sa=Search&q=wireless+cards+ubuntu&hl=en

That easy.

confused57
November 30th, 2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-156-152&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Newegg occasionally drops the price to $9, may be worthwhile to check on Black Friday.

This Trendnet wireless usb adapter(realtek) worked out-of-the box with Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit live cd, using wpa2-psk. Any realtek wireless usb should work well with Ubuntu. I believe Bucky Ball has mentioned this previously.

Bucky Ball
November 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Yea, I bought the Open Networks one for about AU$12, including postage on ebay Australia. Prob about 80c to make! lol