PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Touchpad - Multitouch - a truly interesting discover

fredbsantos
November 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
I have no idea where to post this. I've been using Ubuntu for 2 months and one of the things I wanted the most was two finger scrolling. Which later came to windows when I had already given up on it. I love ubuntu.

So, did you guys ever use a touchpad to two finger scroll in Ubuntu? I noticed that if I put my two finger completely in the same horizontal line and try to scroll down or up, it doesn't register as 2 fingers (red circles). But if I put them like the blue circles, it works flawlessly.

If this doesn't happen to you, then nevermind, this post is a waste of your time. And I'm sorry! :)

So, what's new about this?
Synaptic's windows 7 drivers enabling multi touch. In windows 7, no matter how you put the fingers on the touchpad, it just works. Funny fact: Boot windows 7, restart and go to Ubuntu. No matter how you put your fingers on the touchpad now, it just works! It's like it passed on from windows to ubuntu or something! If you shutdown and boot into Ubuntu, it stops working. Not sure about suspending...

On a fresh boot, blue works and red doesn't. After booting to Windows 7 then restarting to Ubuntu, both work.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8597/touchpad.png

Note: when I say two fingers i mean multi touch (same rules apply for three or four fingers)

Joe of loath
November 23rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Interesting. Although I use Arch Linux, and I don't think my touchpad supports multi-touch in Windows OR Linux, I notice when I put my fingers in the red positions, it doesn't move at all, but when I put them in the blue positions it flits around like a squirrel on acid.