View Full Version : [ubuntu] Widescreen monitor looks deformed at 1360x768

November 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've been running an ubuntu box without a monitor for a while now (wife's monitor broke, so I gave her the ubuntu computer's one while I bought a new one, anytime I needed to use that computer I'd use realVNC from another computer). Yesterday I got some money together and bought a new acer monitor, 15" widescreen with a native resolution of 1366x768.

So I get home, plug it in, and while it did take it in right away, with a resolution of 1280x800, which didn't look well, a quick trip to nvidia-settings and changed it to 1360x768 (leaves about 3 pixels black on each side, I can live with that).

However, the screen looks completely deformed, like when you have a 16:9 TV and play a 4:3 video stretched horizontally to fill the whole screen. A circle would look like an ellipse, and a square like a rectangle, for example. Also, the task bar, which I have at the top of the screen, looks much wider than normal, with the icons at the far right ending up outside the screen area (but I can see they're there when I hide it and it scrolls to the left).

If I set a 4:3 resolution it looks perfect, but the screen sits right in the middle of the screen without using it whole, 2 black bars on each side, if I use any widescreen resolution (1360x768 or below), it fills the whole screen but looks stretched. I've been searching the forums and the internet to no avail, aparently several other people have had this problem but they don't seem to have been solved.

Any ideas?