PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help! use of home partition - user ID problems

candtalan
November 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
I have just done a new install of ubuntu 10.10 into a machine which has a separate partition for /home. The advanced selections for partitions seemed ok, the install went ok afaik also and /home does seem to be correctly in fstab.

However, the machine has (had) two users, both currently were admin users, 'user1-admin' and 'user1'.

I did the new install and used the (new install) ID of 'user1-admin' with the existing password. However, I have missed something because after login I get error messages suggesting things are not set up, at least for the install user.

And anyway, I now realise I do not know how to arrange correct recognition of the pre existing users with this type of install, when /home is nominated for the install target.

I am on a live CD just now..... help would be much appreciated!
tia

arubislander
November 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Boot in recovery mode... choose the root terminal selection (I think it's called something like that) and type

# chown -R yourusername.yourusergroup /home/yourusername

where yourusername should be replaced by your user name and yourusergroup by your user group name (which is most likely the same as your username)

candtalan
November 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Boot in recovery mode... choose the root terminal selection (I think it's called something like that) and type

# chown -R yourusername.yourusergroup /home/yourusername

where yourusername should be replaced by your user name and yourusergroup by your user group name (which is most likely the same as your username)

Thanks for your reply! I seem to have recovered the situation. I used a terminal to add a new user2 making an intended total of now 3 users. not ideal because the user2 by default happened to get allocated the same uid as my legacy user1 (1001). However, at least I could log in fully ok with the new user2.

I then used gui admin users to modify the legacy user to use the correct uid (1002) which made legacy user functionl ok, and I logged into it.

I was then able to edit the newly created user2 to have a different uid from my legacy user1, the new uid for user2 set to 1003.
legacy user1 uid was/is 1001

Both legacy users uid 1001 and 1002 are now functional and I intend to delete the unwanted user2 (1003) soon.

It seems I should have used a completely different user name during the install process? Maybe I got complications because I have two users in this system, and it has been previously upgraded too.

I guess the installation user was uid 1000.

Thanks again