PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update manager imposes adobe flash plugin

photoao
November 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM
Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
Today, 23.11.2010, the update manager did present two posts with adobe flash plugin updates at the top of the list.

Since I abhor adobe as much as m$, I never installed their flash plugin but did use gnash instead (which works sometimes, and sometimes not...)

So my first question was, why should I update a thing that I do not have and do not want ?
Following I did UNcheck the checkbox of these two updates, which in my mind means that Update manager must NOT do these UNchecked updates, isn't it ?

I was terrified to observe that, even UNchecked, the adobe flash plugin has been installed against my will. I would have expected such arrogance from m$, but not from Ubuntu...

Of course, I went to synaptic immediately to uninstall this crap.
Knowing how hard it is to get rid of flash under m$, I have some doubts about the fact if synaptic did really uninstall this crap cleanly and completely. I would not be astonished to find at least some remains on my HD one of these days. My current feeling is that nobody on earth can be trusted any more...

1. I would really like to know why these updates were listed in the update manager at all, when the thing to update was never installed before.
2. And I would like to know why they were dictatorially imposed, even though I did UNcheck them.

Thank you

psavva
November 23rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
Today, 23.11.2010, the update manager did present two posts with adobe flash plugin updates at the top of the list.

Since I abhor adobe as much as m$, I never installed their flash plugin but did use gnash instead (which works sometimes, and sometimes not...)

So my first question was, why should I update a thing that I do not have and do not want ?
Following I did UNcheck the checkbox of these two updates, which in my mind means that Update manager must NOT do these UNchecked updates, isn't it ?

I was terrified to observe that, even UNchecked, the adobe flash plugin has been installed against my will. I would have expected such arrogance from m$, but not from Ubuntu...

Of course, I went to synaptic immediately to uninstall this crap.
Knowing how hard it is to get rid of flash under m$, I have some doubts about the fact if synaptic did really uninstall this crap cleanly and completely. I would not be astonished to find at least some remains on my HD one of these days. My current feeling is that nobody on earth can be trusted any more...

1. I would really like to know why these updates were listed in the update manager at all, when the thing to update was never installed before.
2. And I would like to know why they were dictatorially imposed, even though I did UNcheck them.

Thank you

Update manager only installs software (which was either by default) or by something you had installed (even via a dependency).

The fact that update manager displayed Adbobe Flash in the first place only means that it was installed prior to the update...

Makes sense?

photoao
November 23rd, 2010, 01:50 PM
What you say is exactly what I would have expected, but it is not what happened. The adobe plugin was not installed on my machine, thus an update of it should not have been proposed.

Moreover, if I uncheck it, it should not be forced, else what are the check boxes good for ?