PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Minimal GUI installation

taxidimu
November 23rd, 2010, 10:30 AM
How can I install a minimal GUI interface, on a Ubuntu server?
And more: Suse has a RUNLEVEL tool, to select application to be launched. What in Ubuntu?

I need a GUI interface ONLY to use some useful administration tools, no other application, and need to charge the system as less as possible.

Thanks.

pawhtiobo
November 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hi :)

In my case i run my server with no GUI and installed Webmin to have some GUI interface for the tools, and it rocks :).
If you really want a light GUI in the server you shouldn't use Gnome (ubuntu-desktop), use LXDE, XFCE, Enlightment (more funcionality) or busybox, openbox, fluxbox (more simple).

Take a look at this for more infoemation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI

About runlevels:

http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-and-ubuntu-linux-run-levels.html

See ya...

wet-willy
November 23rd, 2010, 10:59 AM
In my opinion, the best route to take when looking for a lean Debian based system is to install a base minimal Debian and start adding what you want, like Xfce for a lean/no frills nice desktop.
If you are set on Ubuntu, you'll have to un-install Gnome if you feel it's too heavy, and add a different desktop, but one could expect some broken apps running down this trail. You could look at Xubuntu which is Ubuntu with Xfce as the default window manager.
Personally, being a long time lean Debian user, I find Ubuntu is nicely put together for a CD sized desktop OS. And being that small, it might give one the impression it's not bloated "as is".

taxidimu
January 27th, 2011, 03:18 PM
How can I customize a minimal gnome installation?
It seems to me that no option is available at installation.
Thanks

Zlatan
January 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM
How can I customize a minimal gnome installation?
It seems to me that no option is available at installation.
Thanks

you could try

sudo apt-get install gnome-core gdm
check with the packages if this is what you want