PDA

View Full Version : Would an iPad be a handy device for a Pharmacy student?

Legendary_Bibo
November 23rd, 2010, 09:14 AM
My brother is going to school to be a pharmacist, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to if the iPad would be a good tool for a pharmacy student. I've heard it's great for medical students so I don't know if it would be helpful to a pharmacy student as well. I figured I would get him on for either Christmas, or his birthday. I've looked at Android tablets, aaaannnnddd there's none that have the ability to have the newest version of the Android OS, and have access to the app store. Also the only one that seems to compete with it looks like the Galaxy Tab, but that's even more expensive and I would have to pay for a data plan (I was going to get him a WiFi only one).

I'll probably wait until his birthday for now because I have to get other presents. I'll just get him a Kindle.

Legendary_Bibo
November 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Any help guys?

DoeNietWil
November 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
i don't see the pro's about getting a ipad over a good netbook?

joepie91
November 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
i don't see the pro's about getting a ipad over a good netbook?

That, and in case you really want a tablet you should look into less known tablets like the Zenithink. They can be ordered either directly from China (cheaper, but potential hassle when something doesn't work) or from stores like TabletStoreUK (more expensive, but an actual warranty and support).

zekopeko
November 23rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
My brother is going to school to be a pharmacist, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to if the iPad would be a good tool for a pharmacy student. I've heard it's great for medical students so I don't know if it would be helpful to a pharmacy student as well. I figured I would get him on for either Christmas, or his birthday. I've looked at Android tablets, aaaannnnddd there's none that have the ability to have the newest version of the Android OS, and have access to the app store. Also the only one that seems to compete with it looks like the Galaxy Tab, but that's even more expensive and I would have to pay for a data plan (I was going to get him a WiFi only one).

I'll probably wait until his birthday for now because I have to get other presents. I'll just get him a Kindle.

I don't see why not. I suggest you visit an Apple Store and play with one before deciding on the purchase. I will say that iOS is a really user friendly and polished operating system.

madjr
November 24th, 2010, 12:04 AM
too bad the tab hasn't released the wifi version yet.

other than that a netbook would be the "secure" option for a pharmacy student.

does he have a netbook already?

zekopeko
November 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Here is an interesting quote I stumbled upon:

The ipad has basically made my netbook obsolete. What should I do with it? http://twitpic.com/3832ju

from http://twitter.com/humphreybc/status/5477261151047683

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I fail to see why it would be useful for a student reading one subject but yet not useful for a student reading another?

ki4jgt
November 24th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I would get him an ipod touch. It's easier and it fits in the palm of your hand. Ipads are way too bulky.

wrtpeeps
November 24th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Ipod touch is useless if he wants to read stuff. I have one, the screen is too small to be a document reader.

Legendary_Bibo
November 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I already bought him an ipod touch. Some pharmacy apps look great because they're pretty much a database of information he would need which would help him tremendously. There's no cheaper Android tablet that has it all. Everyone I've looked up doesn't have access to the android market except for maybe the tab, but it's more expensive. He has a laptop already, but I just picture him using an iPad, and seeing it as more convenient for studying for Pharmacy vs. whipping out a netbook, and needing the internet to access those databases online that have been turned into easily accessible apps.

joepie91
November 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
I already bought him an ipod touch. Some pharmacy apps look great because they're pretty much a database of information he would need which would help him tremendously. There's no cheaper Android tablet that has it all. Everyone I've looked up doesn't have access to the android market except for maybe the tab, but it's more expensive. He has a laptop already, but I just picture him using an iPad, and seeing it as more convenient for studying for Pharmacy vs. whipping out a netbook, and needing the internet to access those databases online that have been turned into easily accessible apps.

I have an aPad myself that accesses the market just fine, and as far as I know, so does the Zenithink.

zekopeko
November 25th, 2010, 02:30 AM

I think you just answered your own question. The apps are good, the OS is good, quality of build is excellent. There really isn't anything quite as good as an iPad in that market currently. If you have the cash go for it and buy it. I've been reading about a lot of people simply abandoning their netbooks for the iPad so that just speaks on the whole iPad vs Netbook debate.

Legendary_Bibo
November 25th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I think you just answered your own question. The apps are good, the OS is good, quality of build is excellent. There really isn't anything quite as good as an iPad in that market currently. If you have the cash go for it and buy it. I've been reading about a lot of people simply abandoning their netbooks for the iPad so that just speaks on the whole iPad vs Netbook debate.

Yeah, you make a good point. So the iPad for my brother's 21st b-day (it's on Valentine's Day, Daaawwww!!!) it is then.

The diversity and openness of the community is Linux's strength. Unfortunately, if you add control over it with out anything to deliver it seems to suffocate. I'm referring to Android. If google let any android tablet access all the features then it would totally kick butt. Unfortunately they're controlling who can access the android market too much IMO.

czr114
November 25th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Probably the biggest consideration is whether he can live without a physical keyboard. In terms of input speed and accuracy, the physical keyboard is unmatched.

Before committing to the iPad's list of features, he should visit an Apple store or borrow a friend's iPad so that he can see how important the physical keyboard is to him.

themarker0
November 25th, 2010, 05:18 AM
For meetings, presentations as aids, and very very breif note taking yes. For anything more, a netbook is better.

joepie91
November 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM

That's a common fallacy there. The amount of users does not indicate product quality. Especially in the case of brands like Apple, there's a much more important aspect: marketing.

Aearenda
November 25th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Stating the obvious here perhaps, but don't forget the iPad doesn't do Flash (properly, yet).

Johnsie
November 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM
If I was going for a tablet would go for an android 2.2 device which supports flash 10.1 and has the Android Marketplace. Android devices are selling faster than Apple ones, so the number of apps will increase very quickly. In the 1990's Apple failed on computers because their operating system would only work on one type of hardware. Now they are making the same mistake with phones and pads. Android works on many different types of hardware so it will ultimately become the most widely used phone OS as nokia/symbian are going into decline.

Netbooks are alot more powerful though and capable of running more operating sytems. They are also alot easier to type on. The main things to consider when buying a netbooks are that the screen size is at least 10.1 inches, the keyboard is not flat, and the sound works well. I bought and MSI netbook and the speakers were terrible compared to my Advent and my EEEPC. Battery lfie is important too. You can get special batteries on Ebay that last longer.

zekopeko
November 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Probably the biggest consideration is whether he can live without a physical keyboard. In terms of input speed and accuracy, the physical keyboard is unmatched.

Before committing to the iPad's list of features, he should visit an Apple store or borrow a friend's iPad so that he can see how important the physical keyboard is to him.

That's not really a problem since there is the keyboard dock or any bluetooth keyboard.

zekopeko
November 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, you make a good point. So the iPad for my brother's 21st b-day (it's on Valentine's Day, Daaawwww!!!) it is then.

If you are willing to wait 4 months the new iPad should come out. Price will probably be exactly the same but with more features.

The diversity and openness of the community is Linux's strength. Unfortunately, if you add control over it with out anything to deliver it seems to suffocate. I'm referring to Android. If google let any android tablet access all the features then it would totally kick butt. Unfortunately they're controlling who can access the android market too much IMO.

One thing I noticed about the iPhone/iPod/iPad is that Apple actually releases updates for it. If you buy an Android device you have no guarantee if the manufacturer ill release updates for it. That would mean you would have to wait for the community to release an update for your device + you wouldn't get all the Google apps since they can't be distributed + no access to the market + you would have to support it.

I presume your brother wants something that is simple and easy. At this time this is the iPad.

zekopeko
November 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
That's a common fallacy there. The amount of users does not indicate product quality. Especially in the case of brands like Apple, there's a much more important aspect: marketing.

I never said anything about the amount of users. Simply that the OP was considering a netbook or an iPad. I gave an example of a person that abandoned their netbook and went with the iPad. I also read about others doing the same. Obviously those people found greater value in the iPad then in their netbook.

czr114
November 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM
That's not really a problem since there is the keyboard dock or any bluetooth keyboard.

That can be a problem because it requires an additional piece of untethered hardware be carried around, connected, and used.

If an iPad is going to be used with a physical keyboard, in a fixed setup, then, in many ways, it becomes an expensive Apple netbook.

The iPad was designed as a tablet and that's where its strength lies.

If he's going to prefer to work with it through typing most of the time, then it makes sense to get the right tool for that job, and not defeat the design concept of the iPad just so he can say he owns an iPad.

KiwiNZ
November 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I purchased an iPad for my son who is a Medical Student. He has found it fantastic. instead of carrying around a huge load of books each day he has many of his books on iBooks. The compact size of the iPad also reduces the weight he is required to carry and the overall features were exactly what he wanted.

He believes it is one of the best tools he has.