PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 Conflict with old video card? (during install)

nalgarryn
November 23rd, 2010, 06:30 AM
Hey guys,

Trying to install from a 10.04.1 Lucid LiveCD. The computer is pretty old but has Windows XP installed on it currently, which runs. (So it can't be that old!)

I boot up and press F6 and I get the screen. When i try to install I get the Ubuntu logo with the 5 white/red dots and there is movement. The activity light on the CD drive flashes regularly and chugs along. At a certain point the screen attempts to change resolution or something and it goes all cyan and messed up. I assume that this is at the point where it attempts to load the graphical disk partition utility or whatever.

Is there a way to pass a command line option at the install menu to make it a text only install or at a lower resolution? I'm not sure if it's trying to jump to the default IDID (or whatever it's called) resolution of the LCD monitor, since the video card may not support that resolution or something. (Because the video card is much older than the monitor).

Anyway, ideas?

nalgarryn
November 23rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
I enabled the nomodeset option under boot options and it got past the point it was sticking at earlier.

Cheers.