PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Python 3 Problem

timzorr
November 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
n = float(input("Enter the size of the list "))
i = 0
k = n - 1
numericValues = [0]
numericValues[0] = float(input("Enter list element "))
while (i < k):
i = i + 1
numericValues.append( float(input("Enter list element ")))

theValues = sorted(numericValues)
if len(theValues) % 2 == 1:
print(theValues[(len(theValues)+1)/2-1])
else:
lower = theValues[len(theValues)/2-1]
upper = theValues[len(theValues)/2]
print((lower + upper) / 2)

Im trying to find the median of a list of numbers but im getting the error code:

TypeError: list indices must be integers, not float

This error only appears in python3 because i have tested it in python 2.6.6 and it worked without any errors. :confused:

s3MA00RRNY
November 23rd, 2010, 02:22 AM
Firstly, don't use input() for input, because an evil individual could plug any python expression in there and screw up the program. Use raw_input() instead.

Second, you explicitly requested float, so of course it will convert to a float. Use int() instead.

timzorr
November 23rd, 2010, 03:04 AM
I thought input replaced raw_input in Python 3 and im looking to have an output as a float. how would i go about this ?

mo.reina
November 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
input did replace raw_input in python3.x

if you want to have a float as output, you can just change the last line to this

print((lower + upper) / 2.0)

this will print out a float. you can't use a float however for list indexing, so you'll have to change your n variable to a normal integer.

ziekfiguur
November 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
just use
lower = theValues[int(len(theValues)/2-1)]

StephenF
November 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not float

This error only appears in python3 because i have tested it in python 2.6.6 and it worked without any errors. :confused:

One of the differences between Pythons 2 and 3 is that a calculation such as 3/2 no longer equates to 1 but 1.5 which is what you would get if you had used a calculator. It is also appropriately a float.

What you need to do in your program is use // for floor division. Since the floor of 1.5 is 1 the result can and will arrive in the form of an int, provided both arguments are also ints (3.0//2 equals 1.0, a float).

Python 3's // operator behaves exactly like / does in Python 2.