PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz issues

Toxcity
November 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Afternoon guys!

Today I was playing with Compiz on my netbook and installed Fusion. All was well until I rebooted it and now I am missing all effects and a portion of the screen. I am purged compiz and reinstalled it to no avail.

I did mess around with the outputs and changed 640x480+0+0 to 1024x600+0+0 but have no changed it back attempting to fix my issue.

I have attached an image of the current situation.

Basically, I am trying to get my compiz running again with all its sexiness.

Cheers in advance.

Netbook: EeePC 1008HA running Ubuntu 10.10 32bit

gogolink
November 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM
Do you, or did you, have an external monitor connected?

Toxcity
November 22nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Nope, just the 10" laptop monitor. :)

ajgreeny
November 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I may be a bit thick, but which outputs did you change and where did you do it?

I am also assuming you installed the UNE version, but are running the gnome desktop, not the netbook desktop. Am I right?

Toxcity
November 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Sorry for being vague.
I'm running the normal version of Ubuntu and I changed the outputs in the general options of the Compiz Manager (CCSM).

Do you think it is worth putting UNE on it and disabling Unity and adding Gnome? Just reading it has optimizations for Atom processors. :)

ajgreeny
November 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
You would not need to download and install the gnome desktop to UNE; it is already there, you just choose it from the session menu on the login page.

I don't think the kernel is any different on UNE to the normal desktop edition of ubuntu, it is just the unity desktop layout (or the old UNR desktop on 10.04) which is supposed to make it more effective on a small netbook screen. Try it by all means, but you may find, like I think many have including me, that the unity desktop is still almost unusable in practice, and I think most users have moved to gnome instead.

I don't use compiz on my netbook so can not comment on that particular situation, though I know some people do use it on netbooks with no problems.

Toxcity
November 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks mate.

I have no moved to UNE, I tested Unity but it was super slow. Still needs some work I think. Running the Gnome desktop is smooth as silk and Compiz is now running flawlessly. :)