PDA

View Full Version : Novell To be acquired by attachmate

Zzl1xndd
November 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Looks like Novell is finally being sold. This kind of worries me a bit as it seems some assets are being sold to MS.

Alongside this news, and maybe more significant, Novell also announced that it has entered into a ‘definitive agreement for the concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by Microsoft Corporation’ for the princely sum of $450 million.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/novell-agrees-to-be-acquired-by-attachmate/

samalex
November 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Wow, that's nuts! And to think Novell had it all alittle over a decade ago.

I guess just as with the Sun/Oracle fiasco we'll start seeing the Open Source projects maintained by Novell slashed to bits in the upcoming months.

Verbeck
November 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
is it 2.2 billion or 450 million? :confused:
http://www.muktware.com/n/22/2010/508

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
is it 2.2 billion or 450 million? :confused:
http://www.muktware.com/n/22/2010/508

$450M is for intellectual property sold to the Consortium (which Microsoft is a part of and which is producing all the speculation)

$2.2B is for everything else, which Attachmate is purchasing and running as 2 businesses; Novell and SUSE.

Spice Weasel
November 22nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Bye bye OpenSUSE. I'll miss you, you introduced me to KDE 3.

Zzl1xndd
November 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
$450M is for intellectual property sold to the Consortium (which Microsoft is a part of and which is producing all the speculation)

$2.2B is for everything else, which Attachmate is purchasing and running as 2 businesses; Novell and SUSE.

I am betting the MS is getting a lot of the Mono related IP. At least I hope this is the case and MS isn't getting the Unix IP Novell owned.

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Bye bye OpenSUSE. I'll miss you, you introduced me to KDE 3.

OpenSUSE has been working at seperating themselves from Novell recently as part of this re-alignment and determining their target market. Since nothing will even get close to happening until Spring 2011, that gives them time to get read to at worst be dropped from any corporate support (kinda like what Debian is now).

Mono will be going into Attachmate (http://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/6732038669340672#), not sure of their other technologies (SUSE Studio, openSUSE Build Service (OBS), etc.) or what the consortium is to be buying. I think once that comes clean then a lot of speculation will suddenly dissappear because the only reason why it's a "story" is because it has Microsoft's name associated with it.

Spr0k3t
November 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM
Yup, nice knowing you Novell... you had a good run.

(Embrace, Extend, Extinguish, Eliminate)

endotherm
November 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
so who are these attachmate folks anyway?

I gotta say, i'm a bit worried. whats next? redhat?

zekopeko
November 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
I am betting the MS is getting a lot of the Mono related IP.

This statement makes no sense. The whole trolling around Mono was that Microsoft already owns patents on Mono.

zekopeko
November 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM

Wikipedia is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachmate

nlsthzn
November 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
Time will tell... for now I am very happy using openSUSE (and suspect I will be for some time to come) :)

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
I think there is potential for SUSE to benefit, though how much trickles down to openSUSE is to be seen.

samalex
November 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
I agree with others, I'm curious to see what IP is bought by Microsoft and others.

Just sucks because the two IDE's I've started to embrace - Mono Develop and NetBeans - have had their parent companies bought. Hopefully the open source community will keep Mono on track without Microsoft doing a hack job on it.

Grenage
November 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Could be good, could be bad; the proof of the pudding is in the eating. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

ZarathustraDK
November 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Any reason why, if worse comes to worse, we can't just repeat the OpenOffice/LibreOffice-maneuver?

It can sound like a saddening thing to stomach, but all in all, aren't we just eliminating a parallel-distro and assimilating the resources into the ecosystem? The value of Novell is not grounded in its continued existence, but by the developers producing gpl'ed code; developers who'll probably abandon ship just like OOo-devs did (again, if worse came to worse).

(I'm sure there is some explanation why the above isn't true, but do tell ^^)

PC_load_letter
November 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I have been following this on slashdot, here:
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/11/22/1421208/Attachmate-To-Acquire-Novell-For-22B-Cash#commentlisting

And there is a LOT of speculation right now, most of it is not good. One person claimed to have tweeted Miguel Del Caza asking about what will happen to Mono, and Miguel replied that he doesn't know yet!!!!!

My question is what is the impact of this on KDE? Aren't most the devs of KDE on payroll at Novel? Now what?

GeneralZod
November 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM
My question is what is the impact of this on KDE? Aren't most the devs of KDE on payroll at Novel? Now what?

Upstream contributions from OpenSUSE employees are really pretty small - they're paid to work on OpenSUSE, not KDE.

Of course, should (for whatever reason) OpenSUSE bite the dust somehow, KDE will lose a good showcase which will be a disadvantage.

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/11/22/1421208/Attachmate-To-Acquire-Novell-For-22B-Cash#commentlisting

And there is a LOT of speculation right now, most of it is not good. One person claimed to have tweeted Miguel Del Caza asking about what will happen to Mono, and Miguel replied that he doesn't know yet!!!!!

Then why would Miguel have tweeted 3 hours ago (http://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/6732038669340672#)(so ~10 AM Eastern USA time)
After the Novell acquisition, Mono continues as-is, but our paychecks will come from Attachmate instead of Novell.
People are going into a panic frenzy... like it's going to do anything?!! Nothing will be known until Spring 2011.

m4tic
November 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not worried.

Dustin2128
November 22nd, 2010, 07:59 PM

First heard it on /. too. If you don't mind me asking by the way, what's your slashdot username? Mine's lanteran, as per my usual.

Anyway, everybody start forking software, fast!

ubunterooster
November 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I wonder if this could really help SUSE...

czr114
November 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sigh.

I hope this isn't a calculated move to kill or close up mono.

Mono has showed great promise in helping developers build across platforms. It would be a shame to see that scuttled in the name of keeping all that C# programming talent chained to Windows.

Worst case scenario, mono has to be forked. Fortunately, it's GPL, and most of it isn't encumbered by patents, so at least there will be some way forward if things are to change. Unfortunately, forks breed chaos and slow development.

KiwiNZ
November 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Innovate or pass on, it is of no surprise and it will not be the last we will see in the next 12 to 24 months.

Novell had been floundering for some time, as was Sun before it to mention two, others will follow.

A fire sale was all that was left for the Shareholders.

KiwiNZ
November 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Sigh.

I hope this isn't a calculated move to kill or close up mono.

Mono has showed great promise in helping developers build across platforms. It would be a shame to see that scuttled in the name of keeping all that C# programming talent chained to Windows.

Worst case scenario, mono has to be forked. Fortunately, it's GPL, and most of it isn't encumbered by patents, so at least there will be some way forward if things are to change. Unfortunately, forks breed chaos and slow development.

At Board level, one little program for a 1% sector would not have been on the agenda.

Random_Dude
November 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Should I be worried?

zekopeko
November 22nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
Should I be worried?

Of what exactly?

cprofitt
November 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
more specifics at:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/758004/000119312510265964/d8k.htm

Zlatan
November 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM

well, comparing redhat and novell stock trends- not likely:)

Dustin2128
November 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
Of what exactly?
I assume he means of bad things ahead in the FLOSS world.

PC_load_letter
November 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
First heard it on /. too. If you don't mind me asking by the way, what's your slashdot username? Mine's lanteran, as per my usual.

Anyway, everybody start forking software, fast!

It's Zanutheera. I have no idea where I got it from, it's what was in my head when I was signing in :D

Back to topic: It's always a little unsettling to see a big company that contributes to Linux is sold by the pound. Only time will tell of course how this will affect the community as a whole.

As for Mono, and even w/ Miguel's latest tweet, this casts even more shadows over the future of Mono since we do not know how dedicated Attachmate is to keeping Mono around.

And just to confirm, does Micro$oft own shares of Attachmate?

newbie2
November 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
What's the key fact people seem to be forgetting?

It's this: to date, no one has proved Linux infringes on UNIX IP.

That's right. No matter how hard people have tried, no legal action has ever said that Linux had legitimate infringement issues with UNIX.
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/128493/the-end-penguin-not-nigh
:p

Random_Dude
November 22nd, 2010, 10:53 PM
I assume he means of bad things ahead in the FLOSS world.

Yes, that was what I meant. ;)

I'll still sleep well tonight, I just wanted to know what this means for Linux.
Can this be good in anyway? Or it's just one of those things that can either be bad or nothing at all.

Cheers :cool:

ubunterooster
November 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
SUSE has a nice group of Linuxers who hate it. This deal will likely change SUSE's direction somewhat and I am very interested in seeing what that change will be. Maybe they will make it more compartmentalized or more of one piece.

I see SUSE as in an "Uncanny Valley" between one piece and compartmentalization.

Sporkman
November 22nd, 2010, 10:59 PM
Could be good, could be bad; the proof of the pudding is in the eating. A rolling stone gathers no moss, and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

He who smelt it, dealt it.

Simian Man
November 22nd, 2010, 11:04 PM
Any reason why, if worse comes to worse, we can't just repeat the OpenOffice/LibreOffice-maneuver?

It can sound like a saddening thing to stomach, but all in all, aren't we just eliminating a parallel-distro and assimilating the resources into the ecosystem? The value of Novell is not grounded in its continued existence, but by the developers producing gpl'ed code; developers who'll probably abandon ship just like OOo-devs did (again, if worse came to worse).

The reason things like this could be bad is that Novell actually pays people to write open source code. If they stop getting paid, it's more likely that they'll just find a new job than continue doing what they were doing for free. Not saying that will happen, but that's the concern.

Dr. C
November 23rd, 2010, 01:38 AM
My take is that this will be a big non event for GNU / Linux. The Novell patents are already licensed to the Open Invention Network (http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/) so they cannot be used against GNU / Linux by Microsoft or anyone else. In the case however of other non GNU operating systems with Linux as the kernel such as Android the patents can be used offensively to attack components other than the kernel.

PC_load_letter
November 23rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
My take is that this will be a big non event for GNU / Linux. The Novell patents are already licensed to the Open Invention Network (http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/) so they cannot be used against GNU / Linux by Microsoft or anyone else. In the case however of other non GNU operating systems with Linux as the kernel such as Android the patents can be used offensively to attack components other than the kernel.

I'm no lawyer but isn't licensing under the owner's discretion? Doesn't selling the patents void the licensing?

To use a real estate metaphor, if my landlord sold the apt. complex that I live in, then I'll have to write a new lease w/ the new owner once the lease that I have expires. The new owner may even ask me to leave if he has other plans, right?

czr114
November 23rd, 2010, 02:45 AM
It depends on the terms of the license.

If it was done right, it would be perpetual, non-revocable, and transferable.

My guess is that is the case. Otherwise, the community would see right through it, and the patents would still be regarded as threats.

Ric_NYC
November 23rd, 2010, 02:50 AM

If he doesn't know what's going to happen... who knows?

That's one more reason to stay away from Mono.

t4thfavor
November 23rd, 2010, 03:00 AM
Welcome fellow /.ers my username is Anonymous Coward nice to see im not the only one out here :)

In all fairness, I personally don't care about Novell, but I am glad that Oracle didn't buy them. Uncertain times thes may become, but I think there are enough people vested to make sure that we all come out on top.

P.S: I just couldn't resist.

EDIT:
Doh! I just blew my cover!

Ctrl-Alt-F1
November 23rd, 2010, 05:02 AM
Wow, I don't look at Slashdot for one day and this happens! It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Ric_NYC
November 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Novell through the years

1979: Novell Data Systems is founded in Provo, Utah, as a maker of computers and disk operating systems.

1983: Safeguard Scientifics, a venture capital firm, reincorporates NDSI as Novell, Inc, with Ray Noorda becoming president and CEO. Company introduces NetWare, a network operating system that by the early 1990s would claim a 70% market share.

1986: Introduces GroupWise messaging and collaboration software.

1993: Acquires Unix System Laboratories from AT&T, securing rights to the Unix operating system (parts of which would be transferred to the Santa Cruz operation two years later).

1994: Acquires WordPerfect and Quattro Pro from Borland, only to sell them to Corel shortly afterward. Robert Frankenberg replaces Noorda as CEO. NetWare 4.0 is released.

1996: Announces plan to make company's products "Internet-ready."

1997: Eric Schmidt becomes CEO.

1999: Microsoft Windows 2000 tops NetWare for NOS market leadership position.

2001: Acquires Massachusetts-based Cambridge Technology Partners, whose CEO Jack Messman would later become CEO of Novell.

2002: Acquires SilverStream Software, which specializes in Web services-oriented application development.

2003: Acquired open source application developer Ximian, as well as SuSE, maker of a leading Linux distribution, marking the company's commitment to a future product line based on Linux.

2005: Released Open Enterprise Server, which offered a choice between a NetWare or SuSE Linux Enterprise Server kernel.

2006: Ronald Hovsepian replaces Messman as CEO. Company announces controversial joint patent agreement with Microsoft.

2009: Reorganizes into two business units called: Security, Management, and Operating Platforms; and Collaboration Solutions.

March, 2010: Declines buyout offer from Elliott Associates, L.P., which owns about 8.5% of the company's stock.

Nov. 22, 2010: Agrees to be acquired by Attachmate for $2.2 billion, which includes the $450-million sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings, a technology consortium led by Microsoft.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/112210-novell-timeline.html?hpg1=bn

neu5eeCh
November 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
New Development (http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20101122005908/en/Kendall-Law-Gr) (or at least I haven't seen it mentioned here). Looks like the door to a shareholder lawsuit has been opened. At minimum, this will gum up the works and possibly put the deal on hold.

"DALLAS--(EON: Enhanced Online News (http://eon.businesswire.com/))--Kendall Law Group (http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kendalllawgroup.com&esheet=6520997&lan=en-US&anchor=Kendall+Law+Group&index=1&md5=8ee9d0770fc0d16f32487e0162ccb26a), led by former federal judge Joe Kendall, is investigating Novell, Inc. (NASDAQ: NOVL) for shareholders in connection with the proposed acquisition by Attachmate Corporation. The national securities firm’s investigation seeks to determine whether Novell and its Board breached their fiduciary duties by entering into the agreement without properly shopping for a deal that would provide better value for shareholders. If you are a Novell shareholder and would like additional information about your rights, contact the Kendall Law Group at 877-744-3728 or by email at skendall@kendalllawgroup.com. "

MooPi
November 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Innovate or pass on, it is of no surprise and it will not be the last we will see in the next 12 to 24 months.

Novell had been floundering for some time, as was Sun before it to mention two, others will follow.

A fire sale was all that was left for the Shareholders.

Care to expand on that statement ? Who else is going belly up ?

samalex
November 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
1997: Eric Schmidt becomes CEO.

I didn't realize Eric Schmidt was CEO of Novell...

Also you left off SCO vs Novell which started in 2003 and was finally somewhat capped last year. That for me anyway was one of the biggest things to hit Novell in the last decade short of them buying SuSE and Ximian.