PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to warn against selecting updates

mfhall
November 22nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Hi,

I don't know if this has already been discussed - but I couldn't find it by searching the fora.

Why isn't there a clear warning against selecting the 'update' option in Meerkat?

I know it seems like a good idea to have it, but unless a server speed test is run, it adds a huge amount of time to the install (3 1/2 hours of downloading so far). It's not my internet connection (ADSL2+ - fast), so it must be an overloaded server and/or congested intercontinental data pipes.

After the installation, it's possible to find one's optimal (fastest) server before running updates - and I know from past experience that this makes a huge difference to little old me in Australia. I can certainly update everything much faster than I am currently seeing ...

I strongly recommend that, if this option is kept in future distributions, it should include a server speed test (and auto selection of the best server?) as well as a realistic warning to the user.

carl4926
November 22nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Can't say I noticed any speed issues and I don't have a very impressive speed here in UK. Well adsl max 8mb which is in actuality up to 800k, I get near to that. Updates is fairly big but takes about 10 mins here.