PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost Compiz :(

goodrick
November 22nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Running Ubuntu 10.04, 64-bit on a Lenovo K320 IdeaCentre.
Have an NVidia GeForce GT 320 1G video card.
Had Compiz working beautifully.

A recent update from the Update Manager disabled Compiz. When I try to enable desktop effects, I am told I don't have the video driver for it. I disabled the NVidia driver [from Additional Drivers], rebooted, still couldn't enable them, enabled the NVidia driver again, still am told I don't have the necessary drivers.

Ran the NVidia X Server application and it reported "You do not appear to be using the NVidia X driver. Please edit your X config file (just run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root, and restart the X server). This kind of threw my X config for as loop. I am too much of a newb to know what happened. More or less, X went into a basic mode and wanted to reinitialize itself. End result was back to where I started.

I figured this was as good of an excuse as any to bump up to Ubuntu 10.10. I'm glad to have that out of the way without an issue. But I am still in the same boat, ready to cry because I miss Compiz more than I can deal with.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

goodrick
November 22nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
Sorry & thanks. It appears I got it worked out. I needed a reboot after enabling the NVidia driver.

WOOOHOOOOOO!