PDA

View Full Version : Spread the word

brianzlive
November 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
Ubuntu has an estimated 12 million users I personally think it is more, and it is growing everyday please add yourselves to this website and spread the word

http://www.dudalibre.com/gnulinuxcounter

Regardless of Operating system this website is important to us all add it to the forums of every linux based OS's you can find!!!

Thanks everyone and Long Live Ubuntu may it be the dominate OS one day.

Respectfully,
Private Glenn
US ARMY

racie
November 22nd, 2010, 04:55 AM
Meh... I think websites like that are skewed. Figuring out the actual number of Ubuntu users would be quite the task. Though it can certainly be said that Ubuntu is one of the most popular Linux distributions.

Austin25
November 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM
With that title, I couldn't resist. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184)

brianzlive
November 22nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
With that title, I couldn't resist. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184)

lol

ikt
November 22nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Ubuntu has an estimated 12 million users I personally think it is more, and it is growing everyday please add yourselves to this website and spread the word

http://www.dudalibre.com/gnulinuxcounter

Regardless of Operating system this website is important to us all add it to the forums of every linux based OS's you can find!!!

Thanks everyone and Long Live Ubuntu may it be the dominate OS one day.

Respectfully,
Private Glenn
US ARMY

Do you see someone from Microsoft going

"how do we figure out how many users we have?"
"I know! We'll get them all to click on a link and sign up on some random website!"

Currently the most accurate way of figuring out what os people are using is through visiting various website stat counters, I don't see any reason to sign up to yet another linux counter website.

brianzlive
November 23rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
Do you see someone from Microsoft going

"how do we figure out how many users we have?"
"I know! We'll get them all to click on a link and sign up on some random website!"

Currently the most accurate way of figuring out what os people are using is through visiting various website stat counters, I don't see any reason to sign up to yet another linux counter website.

You have a point never though of it like that...

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
I have some JavaScript on my website that can determine from the IP address want country the visitors are in. It can also determine with some confidence what OS they are using. It is not a technology website. It is a genealogy website. Therefore it is not biased by OS choices. A growing number of people are using things like NoScript to block the JavaScript. At the moment about 25% of the visitors block JavaScript from working in some manner, which I find surprising. Of the visitors that I can collect data on, 37% of the visitors are from the US, 13% from Germany, 7% from the Philippines, 5% from the UK, 4% from Canada, and the remainder form Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, India, Switzerland, Belgium, Australia, and so on.

Surprisingly, as of a few minutes ago, the OSes look like this: 9.1% Linux/Unix, 6.8% Mac OS X, and the remainder Microsoft Windows.

I don't think there is an accurate way to measure what OS people actually use. You can get some idea of what OS they paid for.

czr114
November 23rd, 2010, 01:48 AM
Entering an email address into the same, re-done poll, but through yet another website, probably isn't the best of ideas. Weeding through the spam thicket is hard enough already. My email has been harvested enough times by worm-riddled Windows boxen among my contacts without having to register it in yet another database.

That's why these counters won't succeed.

The average Ubuntu user is going to be far more privacy-conscious than the average Apple user, who is himself more privacy-conscious than the average Windows user.

Useragent counting at a site like Google is probably the most accurate measurement possible.

NCLI
November 23rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Entering an email address into the same, re-done poll, but through yet another website, probably isn't the best of ideas. Weeding through the spam thicket is hard enough already. My email has been harvested enough times by worm-riddled Windows boxen among my contacts without having to register it in yet another database.

That's why these counters won't succeed.

The average Ubuntu user is going to be far more privacy-conscious than the average Apple user, who is himself more privacy-conscious than the average Windows user.

Useragent counting at a site like Google is probably the most accurate measurement possible.
Too bad they don't make that data public :(