PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to add a "Downgrade" option to Ubuntu's Update Manager

brandenmikal
November 22nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
I think it would be nice to have the ability to downgrade to a LTS release via the Update Manager without having to install a fresh copy; much like upgrading but in reverse.

This would be great for those who are looking to roll back to previous versions of Ubuntu without the hassle of re-installing it all from scratch using the Live CD.

All in favor; say I.

nerdopolis
November 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM
It would be great, but I don't know if its supported well by the innards of the package manager...

undecim
November 22nd, 2010, 04:34 AM
Geeze, there are enough problems with upgrading to a new release, and now you want to go through it backwards?

If you need to rollback to another release, you should just do a fresh install.

This is also why you should test out the live CD of a new release before upgrading.

brandenmikal
November 22nd, 2010, 04:37 AM
It would be great, but I don't know if its supported well by the innards of the package manager...

Yes. Personally, It would be nice if we at least had the option via the CD if we don't with the package manager.

Then it would be much easier to roll back.

brandenmikal
November 22nd, 2010, 04:39 AM
Geeze, there are enough problems with upgrading to a new release, and now you want to go through it backwards?

If you need to rollback to another release, you should just do a fresh install.

This is also why you should test out the live CD of a new release before upgrading.

Depending on your PC; downgrading could be beneficial. Plus convenience is a big thing with a lot of users.

Plus not everyone has the option to use a Live CD.

earthpigg
November 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
such an ability would be great, if it could prove to be reliable.

as it stands, however, i suspect that the work involved in making a release downgrade work would be... monumental.

and that's a monumental amount of work could have been spent in other areas.

if some volunteer developer(s) specifically started contributing his or her time and efforts for this specific objective, so be it.

i would not advocate that volunteer developers cease work on other areas in favor of this, however.