PDA

View Full Version : [C] Need Just a Bit of Help! (System Command)

The Elite Noob
November 22nd, 2010, 02:03 AM
Hiya! :KS

I was programming in C and needed to use some command in the bash shell directly and output in my C command.

Basically I'm trying to use [ notify-send Test "This is a Test 123." ]
in my C program using system():
However it is not working since it is not being executed in the bash shell.
So how can i run this command from my C program into the bash shell?

Thanks!
=D

:KS

spjackson
November 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Why do you think that the shell used is the cause of your problem? If that really is what's wrong, then you cannot change the shell that is executed - it will always be /bin/sh. However, if you need bash syntax, then the normal way around this is either to do system("/bin/bash -c 'The Command'") or to place the command in a script and call that from system.

ziekfiguur
November 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
You could also use a combination of FORK(2) and EXEC(3), that would be a bit more complex, but you have much more control over what happens.
In combination with PIPE(2) and DUP(2) you could also read the output of the executed command from your program.

for more info, run `man 2 fork', `man 3 exec' etc. in a terminal

The Elite Noob
November 22nd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Why do you think that the shell used is the cause of your problem? If that really is what's wrong, then you cannot change the shell that is executed - it will always be /bin/sh. However, if you need bash syntax, then the normal way around this is either to do system("/bin/bash -c 'The Command'") or to place the command in a script and call that from system.

Thanks!
That works Perfectly Thank You Mate!

:KS:KS

karlwbloedorn
November 23rd, 2010, 06:07 AM
You can also use the notify library directly:

#include <libnotify/notification.h>
#include <libnotify/notify-enum-types.h>
#include <libnotify/notify.h>

The functions are:
notify_notification_new
notify_notification_show