PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling packages from a list?

Dylnuge
November 22nd, 2010, 12:24 AM
So I have a list of packages that were installed on my old system (and I no longer have access to the old system to fix the list).

I've found that the list should look something like this:

xserver-xorg install
xserver-xorg-core install
xserver-xorg-input-all install
xserver-xorg-input-evdev install

But instead it looks like this:

xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-all
xserver-xorg-input-evdev

Is there an easy way to still feed this into aptitude, apt-get, or dpkg so that the packages will reinstall? Or if not, is there a way to add the "install" keyword to the end of every line in the right place?

Thanks,
Dylan

sikander3786
November 23rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Assuming you know what you are doing, you can try these commands to install/re-install them.

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-evdev

Quackers
November 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Did you try something similar to this?

http://linuxologist.com/1general/howto-fresh-ubuntu-install-without-losing-your-current-settings/

If you did, it may have gone wrong :-(

oldfred
November 23rd, 2010, 11:46 PM
I normally use the dpkg extract & reinstall.

I copied this from someone but never used it as I commented it out in my reinstall script. It does not look quite correct as I do not see the open of pkglist.txt as package. Someone who knows bash better may be able to correct it.

#If you have your own list in pkglist.txt:
#while read package; do
# apt-get install $package
#done < pkglist.txt

Edit
The above 3 lines are correct as the link to the file pkglist.txt is the last command.