PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Apptitude

JudeaB
November 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
In Ubuntu 10.10 am trying to install Apptitude and have been through installing and un-installing but keep getting the same msg
Failed to execute child process "su-to-root" (No such file or directory)
Would appreciate any help on how to resolve this issue.
Thanks! Know it will come!!!:p

Frogs Hair
November 22nd, 2010, 02:12 AM
Try Administration > Synaptic Package Manager , use the filter on the bottom left that says missing recommends. There should be 3 packages with a Ubuntu logo that are needed to install aptitude right click and mark for installation and select apply. You may also use the search box.

JudeaB
November 22nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Try Administration > Synaptic Package Manager , use the filter on the bottom left that says missing recommends. There should be 3 packages with a Ubuntu logo that are needed to install aptitude right click and mark for installation and select apply. You may also use the search box.

Here we go. I did use the search box, found aptitude
I installed a couple of packages as recommended and appear to have had 1 already installed. Installed pkages are:
aptitude 0.6.3-2ubuntu4
aptitude-doc-en
aptitude-gtk
aptitude-dbg
libcwidget-dev 0.5.16-3ubuntu1

Still got the msg : Failed to execute child process "su-to-root" (No such file or directory)
so then

Not sure these pckages are related but installed them anyway
apticron
pkgsync
cron-apt
cupt
Think I have done over-kill here, but unfortunately whatever I am doing is not correcting the problem. Web searches don't really help on filters needed either. Are you able to give me the names of the filters/packages I need? Thanks again,