PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a new motherboard

Queso2469
November 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Recently my motherboard has been dying and the warentee is gone so I decieded it was upgrade time. I need to know if there is anything special I need to do for Ubuntu to work on my computer after the new hardware is installed. I currently have a 32 bit motherboard and processor and am switching over soon. GRUB 2 handles my boot and I know I have some extra stuff to do on windows 7 but I was wondering what I needed to do to get my computer to boot up after the upgrade.

Naitsirhc Hsem
November 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
ok first you posted this in the 64bit section, do you want to upgrade? if so, you need to reinstall ubuntu with a 64 bit version

to answer your question, the only thing to worry about is your graphics card. it should boot out of the box but to enable compiz you might have to install restricted drivers(easy).

as for windows, that might be a crapstorm with drivers. I'm no winblows expert but it will not want to use the new hardware without taking care of driver and licensing bS

Queso2469
November 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah What I meant say was do I need to reinstall Ubuntu. So yeah I have to do that. That won't be so bad. I guess re-install Ubuntu first then do the fix for Windows (It came out like I needed help for the windows bit but I didn't). Thanks.

pbpersson
November 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
I guess re-install Ubuntu first then do the fix for Windows

The fix for Windows 7 would be the same as Ubuntu. If you are going from 32-bit to 64-bit it would require a complete re-install of Windows.

If on the other hand you are staying with the 32-bit version of both you would not need to perform a re-install of either OS.

Queso2469
November 21st, 2010, 11:11 PM
There's actually a way around a complete reinstall of Windows 7 so I'm doing that and I haven't updated Ubuntu in a while so a reinstall won't be so bad.