PDA

View Full Version : The Best Linux Distro

richardward101
April 19th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I've been using ubuntu a few days now and am liking it a lot. I'm an old windows hand and this is my fist linux distro (if you don't count Fedora Core 5... needed to compile wireless drivers, so i need to install development packeages, so i need the internet to run package manager, so i need my wireless... oh dear. The thing comes on 5 bloody CDs, you'd have thought they could fit enough stuff there so that the package manager can launch without crashing </rant>).

ANYWHOO...

I found this test (http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php) just now on another thread, and guess what came out on top? You gessed it, ubuntu!

Anyone else gonna give it a try?

awakatanka
April 19th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Mandriva ( yuck ) however it was my first distro that stayed longer then 1 month on my pc.

Mepis , using it now and i'm happy with it, atm i love it more then kubuntu

pclinuxos never tryed it maybe will put it on test partition soon

Suse will try it when the new version is going public.

IYY
April 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Survey says I should be using Debian. It's probably right, but I like this community too much!

Stormy Eyes
April 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Even though it's not mentioned up front, I got Lesbian Linux for some reason.

not28
April 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Interesting. Suse and Fedora came out on top. I've tried Suse on a VMWare...it was alright but I didn't give it much of a chance. I had Fedora for a little while and I couldn't stand it for my skill level. Now I've been using Ubuntu for a week and I like it more than any of those.

awakatanka
April 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Even though it's not mentioned up front, I got Lesbian Linux for some reason.
Start buying strings and some hormones else it won't start. It has a female detection system in it.

stimpack
April 19th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Kubuntu and Mepis, which is exactly what I use...

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Wow, I got Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, and SuSE.

GarethMB
April 19th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Mandrivia, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Suse.

Time to try some live CDs ;)

Sheinar
April 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I got Arch, Slackware and Gentoo.

henriquemaia
April 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ubuntu is the one that fits my computer (and needs) best, but Puppy Linux fits best on outdated hardware.

briancurtin
April 19th, 2006, 11:34 PM
i got arch, which is what i use

unbuntu
April 19th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Is there a vote on the worst distro? :D

Stormy Eyes
April 19th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Is there a vote on the worst distro? :D

Caldera.

henriquemaia
April 20th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Caldera.

Mandrake 10.0

presentt
April 20th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Mandiva, Fedora, MEPIS, Ubuntu, Debian

MEPIS looks kind of interesting. Any feedback, bearing in mind I've only ever used Ubuntu and really like it?

aysiu
April 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM
MEPIS looks kind of interesting. Any feedback, bearing in mind I've only ever used Ubuntu and really like it? What are your favorite aspects of Ubuntu?

ComplexNumber
April 20th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Is there a vote on the worst distro? :D mandriva 2006.

best is probably fedora core 5.

John.Michael.Kane
April 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
The best distro is what works for each enduser. there is no one distro that better then the next they all have their issues. just my take on this.

presentt
April 20th, 2006, 03:52 AM
What are your favorite aspects of Ubuntu?
Mostly this forum. The community surrounding Ubuntu is superb, and it is the main reason I am reluctant to switch to another distro. Of course, I'm primarily a WinXP user, so I am content when there's not a good, reliable forum (Many of the XP forums degrade into "Micro$oft blows" or "Linux blows" chatter.).

I like the apt-get installation method, but I recognize that that's a Debian thing and is present in other distributions.

Ubuntu's GUI hasn't made too much of an impression on me; I prefer to work with a terminal whenever possible because I have a record of what I did and when. Thus, the interface just needs to be clean and clear. Ubuntu provides this, but I can't get a resolution quite exactly to that of my monitor.

I remember trying a LiveCD distribution when I first was turned towards Linux, I think it was Slax, which uses KDE if I'm not mistaken. I haven't decided which I like better, GNOME or KDE.

You know what, aysiu, maybe I'll start a separate thread asking your question. I'm probably veering OT right now.

EDIT: I started the said thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=162938

htinn
April 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM
"SuSE, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora" Freaky. It's like they read my mind.

Ptero-4
April 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Ubuntu.

aysiu
April 20th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I'm interested to see how your new thread turns out, but I'd say--based on what you've said you like about Ubuntu--that Mepis isn't for you.

Now... the next release of Mepis is supposed to be based on Ubuntu, so maybe that'll change.

But Mepis isn't terminal-heavy or clean-looking, and the community is sorely lacking (in technical knowledge and general liveliness).

oblio
April 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM
I should be using Debian - according to this 'test'.
But I use Mepis 3.4-3, Mepis 6.0 alpha2, Kubuntu- as well as Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 Flight 6.

My preference is clearly Mepis.

Regards, Ko

Mr Egg
April 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
I got Ubuntu, Mandriva and Kubuntu.

Yay for Ubuntu.

yatt
April 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I got Debian Fedora SUSE and Ubuntu.

manicka
April 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I came out as Arch,Slackware, Gentoo.... interesting

bigken
April 20th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I got suse mandriva and fedora :-k looks like ill be trying fedora I already run suse
and have tried mandriva

Paloseco
April 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Ubuntu because i love its philosophy, and SuSE because usually has good support for 32 and 64 bits, you get a DVD with all programs (with ubuntu you just get a single cd and you have to download other apps) and because Yast2 is quite good.

AndyCooll
April 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I got Debian and Ubuntu.

Those with Fedora, Suse and Mandriva probably answered either that they prefer rpm's or they didn't mind a particular package selection. I chose deb format so that ruled them out for me (although I actually quite like the latest offerings from Fedora and Suse).

And of course the Slackware and Gentoo choices will have been selected if you were more inclined to select the technical options as responses.

:cool:

Lord Illidan
April 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I got Ubuntu/Mepis/Kanotix/Debian

Currently use Ubuntu. I tried Mepis, but didn't like it too much. Too cluttered, imho.
Also, KDE is getting on my nerves. Nothing beats Ubuntu Dapper, imho.

Just tried Zenwalk 2.4 and hosed down Windows and Zenwalk with lilo. Luckily I had Ubuntu on another harddisk!

SUSE - Not bad, my secondary choice after Ubuntu. YAST sucks!
Mandriva - Never worked with my soundcard. Sucks.
Fedora - Worth a try.
Damn Small - Superb for speed, etc

Too many distros out there!

betamax
April 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Ubuntu & Debian.....

..ah well I knew that before taking the test.....

otake-tux
April 20th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I got debian, ubuntu kubuntu......

njf
April 20th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Suse, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Mepis.

angkor
April 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Debian & Ubuntu. It figures, these are the only two distros I've actually used. :)

ekerazha
April 22nd, 2006, 12:15 AM
LOL

I got Mandriva, Slackware, Kubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, SuSE

... and I use Ubuntu :-D