PDA

View Full Version : bash scripting help

markp1989
November 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
Im in the middle of writing a scrapper to get my html time table from my uni website, and then get my lessons in plain text. so far i have got the data for the lessons that i do.

problem is that there are 2 groups doing my course 571.1 B and 571.1 A , I want to keep the lessons that 571.1 A attend and remove the group B attend ,

Is there a way to find the lines with "571.1 B" and remove that + the 3 lines above that from the out put?

EG: ( I have put a # in the ones i would like to remove, there are multiple lessons like this, and the A or B subjects arent always in the same order.

Lesson1
lesson1 room number and other details
571.1 A

#lesson1
#lesson1 room number and other details
#571.1 B

If you need more information to be able to point me in the right direction, i can paste the out put of my script so far.

Thanks for looking, Mark

koenn
November 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
I know grep will let you find "something + X lines before that" but deleting it is going to be harder.
You can probably do something convulkated with sed and grep,
but it's probably better to try awk (if you really want to do this in a bash script"), or write something in perl, which was designed for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, I know neither awk or perl.

Maybe ask in the programming formum for a short perl script you can invoke from a bash script ?

DaithiF
November 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
going backwards isn't really practical with sed, so a cheat is to reverse the order of the file first ... and then reverse it back again once done.

tac somefile | sed '/571.1.B/,+2d' | tac > newfile

thats kinda kludgey, so a better bet would be to use awk ... store the contents of the file in an array line by line, whenever you match 571.1.B delete the last 3 records, and when done print the remaining elements in the array

awk '{ arr[NR]=$0 } /571.1.B/ { start=NR-2; for(i=start;i <=NR; i++) delete arr[i]; } END { for(i in arr) print arr[i] }' somefile > newfile

Joeb454
November 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
Thread moved to Programming Talk.

koenn
November 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
I kinda like the idea of 'find forward is easier, so turn the file around'. but awk or perl are probably better for this sort of thing.

otoh, if we turn the problem around, i.e. in stead of delete what we don't need, just filter out what we want, we could simply grep :

grep -B2 "571.1 A" filename

and pipe or redirect output as needed

papibe
November 22nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
Interesting problem, this is my attempt:

$ awf -f myprogram input_file
where myprogram is a file with awk code, and consist of:

BEGIN {
lines[1] = "";
lines[2] = "";
lines[3] = "";
i = 0;
}
!/571.1 B/ {
if ( i < 3 ) {
lines[ ++i ] = $0;
} else {
print lines[ 1 ];
print lines[ 2 ];
print lines[ 3 ];
i = 1;
lines[ i ] = $0;
}
}
/571.1 B/ {
i = 0;
}
END {
j = 1;
while ( j <= i ) {
print lines[ j++ ];
}
}

I hope it helps.

markp1989
November 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
@ DaithiF: Thanks, That worked :)

@ koenn: That is the way i would prefer to do it, but there are some lessons where both groups attend, which they just call "571.1" which would have been left out by the other method.

Thanks everyone for replying :)