PDA

View Full Version : Musical Icons

Nesaskewatch
November 21st, 2010, 03:46 PM
I am not sure if this is something to be concerned about, but the icons in the 10.10 task bar have moved. Again! It first happened a while back after a kernel upgrade in Lucid, and now has happened again in Maverick after the latest kernel upgrade I installed yesterday. The network mangler icon has moved all the way to the right, moving the shut-down icon one place to the left. Back when it happened in Lucid, the chat accounts icon also moved two places to the left and the volume icon moved over next to the clock, pushing the shut down icon way over where the volume used to be. Now, aside from being annoying, I am unclear as to whether the icons shifting about without my permission is some sort of security issue? Or is it simply something to be expected? If this is an unusual occurrence, and there is in fact something to be concerned about, please let me know and I will shift to the security forum and seek assistance there. If it is something that happens "normally" after an upgrade, is there a way to put the icons back where they were? I have tried but have not as yet succeeded. Apologies if I am in the wrong forum. Not sure where to enquire about this really... :oops:

Thanks

efflandt
November 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
The order of icons in upper right depends upon when different things load simultaneously during boot, depending upon resolution, so that is nothing to be concerned about. They may also shift if you change resolutions in X.

The only problem I had is that for some reason the one with my username would occasionally duplicate, half over itself and over the shutdown icon, requiring shutting down from a terminal. But I never noticed exactly when it happened (maybe accidental mouse drag?) and it has not happened lately.