PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] contacts and bookmarks

jdocop
November 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm beginning to question what is so great about this Ubuntu system? I mean, I have had nothing but trouble, and - judging from the extent of your forums - it looks like I'm not the only one. If this system is so great, why do so many people have so much trouble?
That said, I have three questions:
1). How do I import my Contacts, especially if Ubuntu's email program says it can't find my old Outlook?
2) How do I import my bookmarks, again, if Ubuntu's version of Firefox says it can't find any other browser?
3) If I go ahead and install this thing, and then decide it is too much hassle, how hard is it going to be to uninstall it?
I don't mean to be contentious here, but I really don't want to get into something that is only going to substitute one frustration for another, either.

jdocop
November 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Is anybody there? I'm thinking that there is little point in trying out a system that has so many folks with problems, and so little response from anyone who might be able to assist.

matt_symes
November 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi

1). How do I import my Contacts, especially if Ubuntu's email program says it can't find my old Outlook?
2) How do I import my bookmarks, again, if Ubuntu's version of Firefox says it can't find any other browser?
3) If I go ahead and install this thing, and then decide it is too much hassle, how hard is it going to be to uninstall it?1. What Ubuntu e-mail client are you using?

2. The best way i have found is to create an account with xmarks and syncronise your bookmarks with them. Then you can import them into your Ubuntu version of firefox.

http://download.xmarks.com/download/firefox

3. It you need to remove Ubuntu you can just reinstall windows and it will overwrite Ubuntu. Have you considered the dual boot option?

I mean, I have had nothing but trouble, and - judging from the extent of your forums - it looks like I'm not the only one.

You should check out some of the Microsoft forums.

Kind regards

jdocop
November 22nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I was going to use Evolution..........is there another? You'll forgive me if I persist here, Matt. But, what is the point of installing a new OS if I also have to install other programs in order to bring along my old information, or create a new account with yet another mail service? What I have found so far is that the only way to bring along my contacts is to install Thunderbird (which I don't have and don't like), and now, you tell me to install yet another program in order to bring along my bookmarks. Why can't Ubuntu just accept the saved files from the Windows OS (Outlook and Firefox, in this case)???