PDA

View Full Version : Are hardwares from Microsoft bit intended not to work with LINUX?

honeybear
November 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM
Hi,
By experiences I noticed that most of the non working hardwares (webcam, special mics, ...) are most of the time Microsoft. Is it a just matter of no chance or bit intended by the constructor? I can be wrong and microsoft works hard to make their hardwares compatible all over teh world, with cross-platforms, all OS

doorknob60
November 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm sure that's not their direct intention. Like most hardware, of course they're nto gonna make drivers for it, but they don't do anything to try to make sure it won't work on Linux. Maybe there's some exceptions though, like the Zune.

NightwishFan
November 21st, 2010, 11:03 AM
I used to use a Microsoft mouse. It worked fine.

Spice Weasel
November 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
I use an Xbox controller, it works fine with free drivers.

Swagman
November 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM
I use a Microsoft Natural Keyboard. Best damn keyboard I've ever owned !!

Must be 10 years old now.

ronnielsen1
November 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I used to use a Microsoft mouse. It worked fine.

I used to use a Microsoft operating system. It didn't. No, I've used Microsoft hardware and had it work good

NightwishFan
November 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
I used to use a Microsoft operating system. It didn't. No, I've used Microsoft hardware and had it work good

:)

Well to actually answer the question of the thread. I would be unable to honestly say "no they would not do such a thing". Though I think it unlikely at best. (or worst)

Spice Weasel
November 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
They've never helped anyone write Linux drivers/firmware for their devices (obviously), so we had to do it ourselves. I don't really see how they could do worse, the community has found ways to reverse engineer loads of devices.

V for Vincent
November 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
I had a few issues with my lifechat headset when I got it, about a year and a half ago, but the most recent releases seem to have resolved those.

Lucradia
November 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
I had a few issues with my lifechat headset when I got it, about a year and a half ago, but the most recent releases seem to have resolved those.

USB Headset maybe? Those are never good to be honest. What if the USB connector loses power, but the headphone/mic jacks don't?

spoons
November 21st, 2010, 03:08 PM
USB Headset maybe? Those are never good to be honest. What if the USB connector loses power, but the headphone/mic jacks don't?

Why would that happen?

3rdalbum
November 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM

Then you're pretty well stuffed anyway, because your keyboard and mouse will stop working.

I never have any problems with my USB headset. 18 months ago there used to be a lot of complaints about them supposedly being incompatible with Pulseaudio, but it was really just that people didn't know how to set them as the input/output device for Skype (it's done in Pulseaudio itself, not in Skype).

Lucradia
November 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
Then you're pretty well stuffed anyway, because your keyboard and mouse will stop working.

Not if it only affects USB and still supplies power to PS/2 ;)

Lancro
November 21st, 2010, 03:51 PM
I have a microsoft lifecam, the micro didnt work in 10.04, but in 10.10 is working nice, the camera is "working", this is an issue of microsoft life cam software, the cam itself is very bad..., in windows, with life cam software, you can activate "low luminity enviroment", and then the camara works nice, but in linux, there is no low luminity setup in cheese or guvcview, so the quality of the image is very bad, is terrible..., and I havent managed to get that low luminity setup in linux, so my cam is useless.

honeybear
November 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
I have a microsoft lifecam, the micro didnt work in 10.04, but in 10.10 is working nice, the camera is "working", this is an issue of microsoft life cam software, the cam itself is very bad..., in windows, with life cam software, you can activate "low luminity enviroment", and then the camara works nice, but in linux, there is no low luminity setup in cheese or guvcview, so the quality of the image is very bad, is terrible..., and I havent managed to get that low luminity setup in linux, so my cam is useless.

I think that webcam is the best example of difficulties.

Surely keyboard, mouses, and pads are gorgeous ! Luckily we have good team of linux coders being :) really thanks to all creator of drivers of any M$ hardwares

phrostbyte
November 21st, 2010, 06:19 PM
Some of their hardware has all kinds of intentional technical shenanigans built in to make it difficult to write drivers for. Eg: the Zune

Their mice and keyboards follow standard PS/2 and/or USB interfaces so they are no problem. Some of their other hardware is similar.

Keep in mind though Microsoft is not the only company who employs technical shenanigans. The iPhone and newer revisions of the iPod had similar things making writing a driver difficult. Other than Apple and Microsoft I don't know of any companies who make it INTENTIONALLY hard to write drivers though.

cprofitt
November 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM

Wow... I have had completely the opposite experience as you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5Tv3ZIK-U

You can see from that video that the camera is much better than the Logitech.

I think Apple is likely the worse offender for making stuff intentionally not work with competitors OSes or Hardware.

Lancro
November 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM

I think Apple is likely the worse offender for making stuff intentionally not work with competitors OSes or Hardware.

Yep, I have the VX-1000 one, Its a different model, in windows I see it as you, but in linux is a terrible mix of dark colors...

kaldor
November 21st, 2010, 10:06 PM
I've never owned Microsoft hardware. I had to borrow a mouse once, and it was an MS laser mouse. Worked well, but wasn't as accurate as my logitech. But then again, comparing a 15 dollar mouse to an MX518 is a bad example.

I usually hear that MS keyboards work very well, but their mice often crap out/die.

honeybear
November 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM

wow with
Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000

btw, which logitech has the highest Resolution X x Y in pixels using skype?

Yep, I have the VX-1000 one, Its a different model, in windows I see it as you, but in linux is a terrible mix of dark colors...
microsoft lifecam vx-3000 is ideal for dustbin
I threw it to bin. It has poor resolution. Compatibilty wiht linux is medium to poor

Spr0k3t
November 22nd, 2010, 12:12 AM

I won't disagree about the apple thing being one of the worst. But I have to disagree, even with that video example. When comparing one makers product over another, the product comparisons should have the same feature set. When you compare the MS camera against an equal product from Logitech, the Logitech model wins on many different levels... better lighting, face recognition, auto-focus time, and even lens quality and microphone quality comparisons for the same price point, logitech is a far better product.

That said, Logitech is also a maker of products where they refuse to make open drivers available (Harmony Programmable Remotes anyone). If I had to choose between the two products (MS vs anyone else) if the quality was identical and the price the same... I'd choose anyone else. Even if the MS product was less than half the price of the competing product, I'd still avoid the MS product as much as I could.

eotakos
November 22nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
i used to use a microsoft operating system. It didn't. No, i've used microsoft hardware and had it work good

+1 :-)

rajeev1204
November 22nd, 2010, 05:11 AM
My microsoft keyboard has all keys working on ubuntu while the volume keys dont work in Windows.

Khakilang
November 22nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
My brother bought a set of Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and it didn't work well with Window 7. The key respond is slow when playing game. Changing batteries didn't help either. See if he can claim warranty for that.