PDA

View Full Version : Window titlebar x panel

Oxwivi
November 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
Is there a way to combine the titlebar of windows into the panel in normal GNOME just like Unity does?

joey-elijah
November 21st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Several; you could install the Window Picker applet that netbook edition used to use or Window Applets and Indicator-App menu together

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Window+Applets?content=103732

Oxwivi
November 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Which is the simplest solution? Where do I get Window Picker?

By the way, are you part of the OMG! Ubuntu! team?

joey-elijah
November 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM

Oh yeah that's a point - window picker should still be in the Ubuntu repos because of the 2D netbook version provided. Just search for 'window-picker' in Synaptic then add it to your gnome panel

I'm the editor of OMG! :)

Oxwivi
November 21st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Well, I installed the applets duo, but the titlebar is still there in addition to the separate panel.

I'll try to get window-picker then.

Awesome! Nice knowing you! :P By the way, if I may, I would like to recommend an article about the same thing as this thread. IMO, Two panels plus titlebar takes too much space away from the window. There might be others out there looking for the same thing. ;)

madjr
November 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM

i think the big orange logo says it all

madjr
November 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM
I'm the editor of OMG! :)

it would sound better if you said it backwards:

OMG! am the editor!

:D

lol nvm

Oxwivi
November 23rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Bump.

Okay, both solutions suggested by joey-elijah works great, except that the titlebar doesn't disappear. Any solutions?

NightwishFan
November 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Run maximus as well as the above solutions, maximus removes the titlebar.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/maximus

Oxwivi
November 23rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
I was just told to do that by the author of the applets duo. No other manual method, I suppose?

KeLa
November 23rd, 2010, 12:33 PM
I have removed totally the panel from top of desktop and put all necessary stuff in bottom panel. That way i can get bigger work area for widescreen laptop display.
How to do that i found from this forum.
Maybe this thread can help you to do it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=856190

Oxwivi
November 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Boo, maximus' effects is not permanent either!

jfreak_
November 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
add maximus to your startup program list

jfreak_
November 23rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
If you are trying to save vertical space, try this:

Red_Steve
November 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
Is there a way to combine the titlebar of windows into the panel in normal GNOME just like Unity does?

The easiest way would be installing the gnome window indicator applet and if you happen to use compiz then there is an option to deactivate window decorations for maximized windows -> CompizConfig manager -> window decorations -> decoration for windows -> change any into !state=maxvert

voila. you are done.

I think the gnome applet also supports direct editing of this setting in the applet menu.
(I don't use it myself as I don't use any window control buttons)

Oxwivi
November 23rd, 2010, 04:25 PM
If you are trying to save vertical space, try this:
How'd you get the titlebar like that?

By the way, decreasing the dock size might make it look better.

jfreak_
November 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
How'd you get the titlebar like that?

Ah that, its a theme made jurialmunkey, look at the screenshots thread.
the dock I moved to the left and it is permanently on top and since there is nothing on the left of the titlebar, space is saved.

I had tried the window picker applet + maximus combination earlier, but wasn't satisfied. It had the undesirable side effect of opening all apps in the maximised mode and eating a lot of resources. I like this configuration way better and it doesn't consume a lot of RAM since I have thrown out gnome-panel altogether.

If you don't like docks but would like to have gnome-panel and vertical space, then I would suggest this order in the panel:
Menu: WindowPickerApplet: globalmenu: notification area: indicator applet: logout
This comes in the panel above and you will immediately note that every possible bit of the panel is occupied.
Global menu also saves space for all gnome applications by shifting the menubar to the panel. For firefox, install the addon Hide Menubar, it will hide the menubar and will reveal itself only on pressing the alt key.

As for switching windows, create a panel to the left increase the width to about 30-35, add dockbarx to it and any app launcher if you wish.

jfreak_
November 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
By the way, decreasing the dock size might make it look better.

Decrease the dock size as in height or the width?

KeLa
November 23rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hello and wake up.
Easiest is to delete top panel and add needed stuff in the bottom panel.
No need to install anything extra stuff to heat up your computer.

Oxwivi
November 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM
Decrease the dock size as in height or the width?
Height.

And KeLa, that is not enough, which is why I am seeking to save more space be getting rid of the titlebar, thank you for your input.

Svento
December 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Compiz can be set to undecorate. I also have a window border theme based on Dust Sand that has no title bar in maxed windows if you're interested.

I also recommend DockbarX, which displays open windows very compressed.

I have in my only panel: Main Menu; Window Buttons; GlobalMenu; DockbarX; some starters; Notification Area. In the program windows no Status Bar, no Menu Bar and no Title Bar. Running Firefox or Thunderbird, the only thing that differs from full screen is the Toolbar (which in Firefox also functions as Address bar) and that upper panel. Two effectivly used fields compared two Windows where there's normally six...

Oxwivi
May 11th, 2011, 07:48 PM
The easiest way would be installing the gnome window indicator applet and if you happen to use compiz then there is an option to deactivate window decorations for maximized windows -> CompizConfig manager -> window decorations -> decoration for windows -> change any into !state=maxvert

voila. you are done.

I think the gnome applet also supports direct editing of this setting in the applet menu.
(I don't use it myself as I don't use any window control buttons)
Is there a way to do this in GConf or something?