PDA

View Full Version : I can't be the only one who cooks....

NertSkull
November 21st, 2010, 12:18 AM
So thanksgiving is right around the corner and figured I'm sure there are lots of others here that enjoy the art of cooking. So I figure why not get ideas of recipes (and other cooking ideas) from others out there.

I know thanksgiving is close, but I'd love to see this go on for any other holidays (including non-american holidays) and even meals in general for any day of the week.

I love cooking and know there has to be others out there that have wonderful recipes I should try.

If you have something you love to cook, share it with us.

czr114
November 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM
I can make dinner if dinner is in the source repos. Other than that, I'm basically out of luck.

Ric_NYC
November 21st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Firefighters Warn Of Dangers Using Turkey Fryers

http://cbs4.com/holidays/deep.fried.turkey.2.2016654.html

lisati
November 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM

I had something similar happen once when preparing some deep-fried potato chips on the stove top. Scary stuff, but thankfully it was easily contained. (Quick assessment of situation, followed by killing the power/heat and putting lid on pot a.s.a.p: #1 priority = KEEP SAFE)

wilee-nilee
November 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM
Former professional sauté cook and general kitchen manager what do you want to know.

Personally with thanksgiving I like a rich stuffing, a few fruits added along with some nuts and of course the gizzard and other flavorings. Nothing like a load of carbohydrates with mashed potatoes and stuffing, and the tryptophan from the turkey, your feeling sleepy, sleepy.;)

Technoviking
November 21st, 2010, 01:40 AM
I love grilling my Thanksgiving turkey, but my not get to due to weather in my area this year.

T-V

NertSkull
November 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM

I actually have deep fried a turkey. Did it about 4 years ago for thanksgiving. But I agree if you are not wise it could lead to disaster.

We have a large concrete area out back where we did the turkey so nothing flammable was within 50 feet (plus some other precautions). So it wasn't much of an issue.

As for the turkey, I actually wasn't a huge fan of it. I prefer roasted or grilled much more.

None of the oils/juices from the bird came out as much so it was almost too soggy on the inside. The skin was good, but nothing spectacular.

Now the deep frier just sits in the garage, I've thought about selling it, but then I think of this story, so it continues to sit.

Point is, I agree that its not worth it. Taste isn't that great to warrant the risks.

NertSkull
November 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I love grilling my Thanksgiving turkey, but my not get to due to weather in my area this year.

T-V

How do you grill it? Are you using a rotisserie? Or just turning it every few hours? Have you ever smoked it?

My parents have a nice smoker at home and I kind of want to try the turkey in that. But I'm not sure how I feel about slow cooking poultry.

PLENTY of people will tell you to never do it because it doesn't get warm enough, and PLENTY of people do it yearly and never get sick.

Thus far I'm still sitting in the first camp, but I'm still tempted every year.

LowSky
November 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Nothing like a load of carbohydrates with mashed potatoes and stuffing, and the tryptophan from the turkey, your feeling sleepy, sleepy.;)

Actually the turkey doesn't contain enough sleepy-time juice. Most people get tired from the carb overload. Think of it as a near diabetic coma, lol.

I love cooking, unfortunately my skill is mostly on the outdoor grill. I make a killer pork chop.

samalex
November 22nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
We generally do either Christmas or Thanksgiving at our place each year, with this year being Christmas. But regardless of the holiday we pretty much do the traditional southern holiday dinner with a turkey (baked, not fried), ham, cornbread dressing (not white bread 'Yankee' dressing), green been casserole, mashed potatoes, homemade rolls, pies, and all the extras.

What's funny is I still have the pic of the first bird I ever cooked Thanksgiving 2005 -- learned how to cook it via a Google search - and it turned out wonderful! I've been cooking it most years since :) Secret is LOTS of butter.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/2033382892_923e1c0815.jpg

I personally love to cook, though I don't have much time to do it, but holiday dinners are the ones where my wife and I love to go all out, and mostly everything is from scratch.

Something I am hoping to do this year is bake more through December. I grew-up with my mom and dad baking breads, cakes, and other pastries to give as gifts to teachers, co-workers, family, etc, and honestly most people seem to appreciate a gift like that over some crap from WalMart... at least I do :)

paydaydaddy
November 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
We always host thanksgiving dinner at our house for family and friends, generally around a dozen people. I always provide the main course and at least one side dish. This year I am preparing beef wellington and a pasta with prawns side dish. I am not particularly fond of turkey and prefer not to deal with the carcass and leftovers. I have served prime rib roast a number of times over the years and find the leftovers much more enjoyable to deal with. Two years ago I made stuffed cornish game hens marsala which was a big hit and leftovers were easy to deal with and tasty. When serving prime rib I make individual yorkshire puddings in muffin tins and serve with a gravy made from the drippings. This has been a big hit with my guests as this is quite delicious and not at all common here in the northwest U.S. As far as recipes go, I tend to search the internet and find something that appeals to me and then tweek it to my liking. My mother, who is nearing 80 yrs., is a fabulous cook and baker and is my go to source when I need the help of an experienced chef. Snow is in the forecast for thanksgiving day. Hope it doesn't put to much of a damper on the festivities.

wilee-nilee
November 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Actually the turkey doesn't contain enough sleepy-time juice. Most people get tired from the carb overload. Think of it as a near diabetic coma, lol.

I love cooking, unfortunately my skill is mostly on the outdoor grill. I make a killer pork chop.

You are probably correct, personally I avoid thanksgiving it is to easy to just overeat for me.;) Also the thanksgiving we all celebrate is a myth that just supports the colonial overtake of the US. I feel really uncomfortable celebrating this holiday or the big one next month, more myth.

NertSkull
November 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I am not particularly fond of turkey and prefer not to deal with the carcass and leftovers.

Thats actually one of my favorite parts. I have a big 12 qt pot that i put the whole leftover bird in afterwards and fill with water and let it low boil for about a day with a chopped up onion and a bit of garlic.

Then I'll strain out the juice and pick out the bones (which is a bit of work, but worth it).

Then all the remaining meat goes back in. It turns out to be a fair amount of meet you can still get off.

Fill it up with celery, carrots, onions, garlic, sage and some other spices to taste. Then put in a bunch of thick egg noodles (you can find them frozen at the store) and I'll have a couple of gallons of delicious turkey soup. I keep it frozen in smaller bags or bowls and then warm it up on cold winter nights for most of the winter.

wilee-nilee
November 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Thats actually one of my favorite parts. I have a big 12 qt pot that i put the whole leftover bird in afterwards and fill with water and let it low boil for about a day with a chopped up onion and a bit of garlic.

Then I'll strain out the juice and pick out the bones (which is a bit of work, but worth it).

Then all the remaining meat goes back in. It turns out to be a fair amount of meet you can still get off.

Fill it up with celery, carrots, onions, garlic, sage and some other spices to taste. Then put in a bunch of thick egg noodles (you can find them frozen at the store) and I'll have a couple of gallons of delicious turkey soup. I keep it frozen in smaller bags or bowls and then warm it up on cold winter nights for most of the winter.

Your doing it some what already but check out the wiki you would do this in the simmer and reduction part of preparation, even more flavor. This is a standard methodology when making any stock.;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirepoix_%28cuisine%29

And what time is dinner I'll be there that sounds really good.

eriktheblu
November 22nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Measurements are approximate. I dress it intuitively.

Needed: 10lb turkey
3/4 cup whipped butter
Garlic powder
small bag of mix vegetables
charcoal grill and charcoal
turkey pan
baster
bottle or pitcher
meat thermometer

1. Start the charcoal grill,
2. Mix a generous amount of whipped butter with garlic powder
3. Smother the bird, and fling a few spoonfuls in the cavity
4. Bird in the pan, surrounded by the vegetables.
5. Mix Garlic powder with water in the pitcher/bottle
6. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan
7. Move the charcoal to the edge of the grill in a ring shape
8. Pan with bird on the grill, cover the grill

Every 15-30 minutes, baste, and add garlic water as needed. Add charcoal as needed.

The bird is done when temperature in the wing is 170 degrees F (77 C). For a 10lb bird, this can take 2-3 hours. Low heat and longer cooking is preferred. When done properly the wings fall of by their own weight.

[edit to add: I take use of gravy on my turkey as a personal insult]

oldos2er
November 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
I make a fairly traditional Thanksgiving dinner; roast turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn. For dessert I'll probably make cheesecake instead of pumpkin pie this year.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 22nd, 2010, 10:45 PM

I have a pressure cooker that makes that process a lot faster, usually 1 or 2 hours. However, I agree that the egg noodle turkey soup is great. I also use biscuit dough to make dumpling turkey soup.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 22nd, 2010, 10:52 PM
... cornbread dressing (not white bread 'Yankee' dressing),...

+1 for the cornbread dressing. The white bread dressing is disgusting. My wife's family would have thanksgiving with us manly because of my cornbread dressing with a lot of butter/margarine, and because I didn't cook the turkey until it was so dry it made you want to gag.

Dustin2128
November 22nd, 2010, 11:29 PM
I cook. I cooked my turkey sandwich with melted cheese in the microwave last year, and it was good.

cpmman
November 22nd, 2010, 11:48 PM
The English version of Thanksgiving is Harvest Sunday in September but my mid-winter favourite is stuffing-cakes - using the leftover stuffing (best for taste is chestnut or walnut stuffing) and mashed potato bound with egg and spices for a lightly fried "cake" to accompany leftover turkey/chicken/broiled&roasted ham with English Mustard. A good Stilton with Port to follow.

johntaylor1887
November 23rd, 2010, 07:01 AM
tryptophan from the turkey, your feeling sleepy, sleepy.;)

That is a myth. Turkey does not contain enough tryptophan to do anything. Chicken and cheese contain more, but you never hear people say those things make them tired. People usually over eat on turkey day, which is what causes the sleepiness.

Thankgiving Myth: Turkey Makes You Sleepy (http://www.livescience.com/health/071120-bad-turkey-sleep.html)

wilee-nilee
November 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
That is a myth. Turkey does not contain enough tryptophan to do anything. Chicken and cheese contain more, but you never hear people say those things make them tired. People usually over eat on turkey day, which is what causes the sleepiness.

Thankgiving Myth: Turkey Makes You Sleepy (http://www.livescience.com/health/071120-bad-turkey-sleep.html)

Oh man it was the only myth I had left, shoot.;)